Virtual Console Games Coming to Wii Every Monday

Shawn Andrich

Aug 4, 2006
Virtual Console Games Coming to Wii Every Monday

Nintendo has revealed that new Virtual Console games will be released every Monday from launch to the end of the year. The company has also dated the Forecast Channel and the News Channel.

Nintendo has announced that games for the NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis and TurboGrafx16 consoles will roll out every Monday over the Nintendo Wii network. On launch day, at least 12 titles will be available, including: Donkey Kong (NES), SimCity (SNES), Super Mario 64 (N64), Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis) and Bomberman (TurboGrafx16). Depending on the game and the original system, titles will cost 500 to 1000 "Wii Points" to buy, with 2000 Wii points costing $20 US.

The Forecast channel, provided by Weathernews, will not be available until December 20th. The Associated Press supported Wii News Channel will launch on January 27, 2007.

Dr. Wiley

Oct 24, 2006
This might sound a little crazy, but I think the virtual console is the single feature that I'm most excited about when it comes to the Wii. I mean, I know I can find most, if not all, of the old NES and Super NES game ROMs hiding around the web, but there's just something about sitting in front of the TV, controller in hand, and booting up a classic title that just has me tickled.

So, I have two questions:
1) Has anyone heard anything about how they're choosing games to throw up onto the VC? I'm not an Xbox Live user, so I don't pay attention to how that's been working out, but is there some sort of feedback mechanism for users to request titles, or are we looking at standard corporate operating procedure of Do-What-We-Feel-Like-and-Is-Cost-Effective-and-Pay-No-Mind-to-Fans/Consumers?
2) What are the VC must haves (assuming every title is available)? What games would you absolutely download without giving it a second thought? Just to clarify, this doesn't necessarily equate to favorite titles?

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
I would go with Chronotrigger (SNES) and Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES). Zelda is a favorite of mine that I've got the original sitting up there, but it's a pain to hook up the SNES nowadays. And I've always wanted to play through Chronotrigger. You could actually add Earthbound (SNES) to that list as well as Final Fantasy 3. (or 6) I don't know how likely Chrono / FF are to make an appearance given that Nintendo didn't make those originally and Square-Enix is currently with Sony. I'd still go for Earthbound and Zelda.