"Virtual DRM on Everything"

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...And, meanwhile, even as everyone is distracted by minor celebrities saying stupid things in interviews...

Gizmodo story: "Supreme Court Printer Cartridge Case Could Be the Citizens United of Products"

TLDNR version: A case currently before the Supreme Court regarding ink cartridge refills could have a significant impact on what "rights" companies can withhold on products they've "sold" to you.

(But I recommend buckling down and actually reading the thing. Take your Ritalin if you have to.)

I know where I fall on this one; I was appalled enough that Keurig was trying to restrict what kinds of coffee pods their users could use on their own machines. Or how Microsoft tried to clamp down on used software sales with the XBox One. I'm still appalled by policies and licenses that try to prevent users from obtaining redress when they, say, buy software that simply doesn't work.

This... could, potentially, be much worse.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I've been worried about this for 20 years, 10 in regards to the gaming industry.
Peoples memories are shorter than ever and the boiling frog principle seems to work wonders for creating systemic changes without causing much of a ruckus.
As always, the price for freedom is being ever vigilant.
Now, if only the apathetic masses could be educated to think for themselves, and long term.
That last line sounds really pretentious and makes me appear to look down from on high, but nothing could be further from the truth.
I catch myself falling into the same traps now and again.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Arent people concerned about the internet privacy bills, not celebs saying dumb things?

And Microsoft sure got the poor end of the PR stick on that one. They tried to create a sharing system in small networks. In order to facilitate that and not be wildly exploited, it needed tighter ownership terms. Internet picked up the negative aspects of that program, ignored the positive and drove that system into a grave before it even launched. So now instead of sharing 1 game among 10 family/friends, everyone still requires their own copy. But hey, at least selling it back to the store is easy! And for like, 8 bucks too!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Of course a printer manufacturer would want that.
Bunch of scumfucks.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Would this be a good time to introduce my idea for a book publisher where the text is illegible unless you're wearing a special pair of proprietary glasses?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Zhukov said:
Would this be a good time to introduce my idea for a book publisher where the text is illegible unless you're wearing a special pair of proprietary glasses?
That sounds like the sort of zany gimmick that'd get sales for a week or two. Then the product would sit under buyer's bed and never see daylight, though.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Won't affect me.

My country does not allow these things. Here even selling unused OEM keys without the hardware is legal.

Jun 20, 2013
Given how things have been going, I'm almost certain it will be ruled in favor of Lexmark. Everything is getting worse, nothing will get better. God, I just. Fuck everything.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Could be worse though.

They could follow the path of audio software companies and make everything fucking ridiculous. I hope they don't do that.

But I really hope companies stop this. I understand how they want to protect their stuff, but there comes to a point where you start pissing people off and refuse to use your shit. The minute coffee maker starts pulling that shit is the minute I go old school in brewing my coffee.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Thaluikhain said:
Zhukov said:
That sounds like the sort of zany gimmick that'd get sales for a week or two. Then the product would sit under buyer's bed and never see daylight, though.
Not if I convince George R.R. Martin to make his next Game of Thrones book exclusive to my patented glasses.

I'm gonna be fuckin' rich!

Jan 27, 2011
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
But I really hope companies stop this.
They won't. Corporation are money-making-machines. They have no morals. They have no limits. Unless something happens that tells them "If you do this, your bottom line will suffer", they will do anything and everything to increase their profits.

And given how much they've infiltrated the US government via campaign contributions, there's no real hope of good regulations coming in and saying "Oy oy, you can't do that, that's anti consumer".

The only way to make the corporations stop doing this kind of thing is to force them to stop or convince them that it's not a profitable idea. :s