Virtue and Virtuality

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
I've think I've seen everything now. A Jane Austen themed WoW style MOMPG.
No really.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/sep/28/ever-jane-reader-i-clicked-on-him-i-test-drive-the-virtual-jane-austen-role-playing-game

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
My initial response was "Sweet Jesus, that sounds fucking boring".

Then somebody in the comments mentioned out how much they enjoyed the Orlesian ball section in Dragon Age: Inquisition, which was definitely one of the game's highest points for me, so a game that involved intrigue, politicking and gossip in branching and meaningful dialogue options could actually be quite engaging.

But then I remembered there will be no Qunari to kill, so back to the first impression I go.

FalloutJack said:
I want a Blackadder game. That would be much more fun.
[49/100] Cunning Plans collected.

Jan 27, 2011
...Huh. Neat.

While I'm not a stranger to regency era role play (I was part of a Changeling the Dreaming regancy era LARP last year, was awesome. Got to connive my way to being a baron despite having no true claim to the region, got to banish someone to Australia, and got to seal ancient uber faeries under a mountain of cold iron), this MMO doens't really interest me all that much.

But I know people who might be all over this. :D

Relatedly, Jane Austen's work is actually pretty good. I had to read a bunch of regency era stuff for a class one time, and her stuff was actually pretty gripping, with all the politicking and, basically, social warfare going on.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Gordon_4 said:
FalloutJack said:
That was my first damn thought: is this related to BlackAdder the Third?

Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. A quick glance at Wikipedia indicates they are her only two novels with names like that, but she's still the inspiration for the episode names in Blackadder the Third.

Aug 31, 2012
Bad Jim said:
Jane Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. A quick glance at Wikipedia indicates they are her only two novels with names like that, but she's still the inspiration for the episode names in Blackadder the Third.
She? Didn't you know? "Jane Austen" was a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a Rhododendron bush.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Dragonlayer said:
[49/100] Cunning Plans collected.
You could have serious fun writing those.
Cunning Plan 35. You know how a chicken runs around with its head off.....

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Bad Jim said:
Gordon_4 said:
FalloutJack said:
That was my first damn thought: is this related to BlackAdder the Third?

Yeah, I know that :p

Zykon TheLich said:
Bad Jim said:
She? Didn't you know? "Jane Austen" was a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a Rhododendron bush.
Remind me, was it bigger or smaller than Dorothy Wordsworth's?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
As long as there's an option to have a mental breakdown and smash the tea-tray out of their hands in a fit of bipolar rage, then drop to the floor weeping while begging them to forget everything they just witnessed. And when they attempt to blackmail me for their own social and financial gain, I would like the option to conspire their untimely demise in a plan so cunning and brutal, Manson himself would blush at the thought of it all.
Allow me these societal releases please to satiate the urges of an insanity bubbling below the calm surface, and I will submit to your curious world.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, that game? I KNOW that game! Alex and Graham from LoadingReadyRun played it:

...for about 20 minutes. Then they got banned because they tried to actually do anything in the game.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
An interesting idea...but one that makes me think of

[sub]Though, T72 in WW2? Always bugged me[/sub]