Visual Novels with LEGIT interesting/make me to care Protagonist

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Kaimax said:
Zef Otter said:
I would say Night in the Woods, great characters and dialog. Mae, Gregg, Angus, Bea, and a host of other characters got so much personality. Also mini games you can play. Give it a shot!
Uhh, that's not a Visual novel though, it's just a traditional side scrolling adventure game.

Visual novels needs to have an ADV or NLV type of story presentation to be called a VN. In short, the majority of story is told with huge amount of text in text boxes.
To be fair, having played the game myself, I can see clearly why many people compare it with VN. At first I was ready to joke around that is look like a VN, only to realised it can be VERY easily be one if it had only images and text on it.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Dreiko said:
SweetShark said:
Dreiko said:
Tsukihime and all those type moon stuff is too dense to play off of a minor thing such as someone else telling you to do so. You need a lot of self-generated motivation to dive into those things.

I come from the fighting game side of things so I have known melty blood for over a decade now but I had no interest in the series at all but a year ago I got into fate due to Saber being a guest char in a game I got (nitro+ blasterz) so I figured I might as well check out Tsukihime too since the worlds are somewhat connected.

Point being, without that kind of drive and motivation, people will lose interest way before the story gets good.

Now, on the matter of Shiki being a good main char or not, he's a little bland early on and I only really liked him in one or two paths. He was more of a vessel through which the heroines shine, and good at that, but not that great otherwise.
Yes, this is one of the reasons why I only played one route: I lost interest very early...
I know the other routes get even more interesting, but I will wait for the remake in the future.
Not happening, tsukihime came out in like, early 2000s. Akiha route was the best so go for that, if you don't like that, oh well XD.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/04/13-1/tsukihime-remake-release-reportedly-still-tba

It is still unknown how long they will take them to develop the Remake, but I am very hopeful.
As I said, I played only one route, because back then I get bored very easily [The blond chick's Route].
So I want to "redeem" myself by playing the remake and do the other routes.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
inu-kun said:
I didn't like Yuuji (from Grisaia) very much, always felt a bit too perfect and sane though it might have changed in other routes (took Michiru and Yumiko's). Clannad has a great protagonist and I don't think it's reflected well in the few episodes of the anime I watched. The Devil on G-String also has a great, fun protagonist.
Makina, go do Makina, right now, go.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
So I just started playing The Fruit of Grisaia for the first time completely blind.
I am only some hours in [1-2] and it have for sure some "uncanny" feeling.......so....
Yes, at first when the policemen was VERY persistant to check the protagonist I thought it was strange, but then I said because they are in Japan is it ok? I don't know. So whatever, I continue to see the actual story. But then the head teacher said it is a normal scholl.....or at least she is trying to copy the real one?
At that point I KNEW something strange is happening.
The thing get even more disturbing when Yuuji ask some REALLY personal questions to one of the girls and she answer with ease...
Well f*ck!
After that I saw even more essentric characters like a girls to coach herself to act like a tsundere character and she fails somehow and then finally a girl who outright want to murder him, which is "normal" behavior because Yuuji is an stranger?
Then I saw the Intro Scene.
HOLY SH*T!!!!! WHY THERE ARE EXPLOSIONS IN THE CITY?!?!?!? WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!

In other words, good first impression Game. A solid disturbing 10/10 start for me!

With that said, can you please tell me in which order I must play the other games? In my knowledge I saw like, 6 different games? Who is this possible?

Anyway, good read so far.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Fruit>Labyrynth>Paradise of grisaia is the right story order, the other stuff is spinoffs you should get to in random order after the main 3 are done.

There's a whole lot of scary disturbing and weird shit in this game, and it's also beautiful.