Voyager 1 Spacecraft About to Leave Solar System

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
AppleShrapnel said:
dogstile said:
Kalezian said:
I hate that image. Really gives me a sinking feeling knowing how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things.
Don't fall into that trap~ D:/

Here, chew on this. :3

[youtube]9D05ej8u-gU[/youtube]

Dangit... whatever, have a link, instead: >.>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU
That's a brilliant video. Instantly eased up that feeling of being small. Thank you.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
dogstile said:
Kalezian said:
nikki191 said:
its been going for decades and still hasnt had a RROD :D
and less computing power than most cell phones to boot.

which is what I am going to start complaining about, Voyager 1 has been powered on since 1977....

and yet my computer can only hold a 2 hour charge on it's battery?

oh well, at least we have this to remember Voyager by:
[inspirational image]
I hate that image. Really gives me a sinking feeling knowing how insignificant I am in the grand scheme of things.
Psh, whatever. All those other dots have done less in trillions of years than we've done in a day. Go dot #534ty539se29-t34234-1@~^%!

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, The Voyager will be leaving the Solar System, and no one has posted this video yet?

C'mon guys, I'm not even a Trekkie!

OT: All seriousness, I've been waiting my whole life to hear that the Voyager will be leaving the Solar System soon.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
dogstile said:
Kalezian said:
nikki191 said:

which is what I am going to start complaining about, Voyager 1 has been powered on since 1977....

...that makes you feel insignificant? The knowledge that the most complex particles in your body had to be cooked in a fucking STAR for billions of years before it went supernova and shotgunned them out through space? And that after 4 billion years of tiny organisms devouring each other and recombining, you just HAPPEN? You emerge as a sentient, self-aware being on a huge sphere rocketing around a billion year nuclear fission explosion, and your very presence effects the physical properties of every other object in the universe.

That sounds pretty rad to me.

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
dogstile said:
Kalezian said:
nikki191 said:

I think it's great. this way, I know that all the problems we have here are, in the grand scheme of thing's, pretty small.

OT: Shine on you crazy space orb you.

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
BrownGaijin said:
Fixed. Don't forget it's [youtube=(whatever comes after "v=")]
Thank ye for the correction. :p

On the boards I'm much more frequent on, embedding is done [ youtube ] (code) [ /youtube ]... a little standardization would be nice in this regard. ._.

BrownGaijin said:
I will also see your Neil DeGrasse Tyson and raise you a Brian Stokes Mitchell:
Eh, I see where you're coming from, but that Carl Sagan image is, in a literal sense, looking at ourselves (collectively) from "heaven's eyes"... I personally feel Dr. Tyson's perspective to be a bit less- as he likes to say- "egocentric". The only thing that revolves around us is the moon.

To paraphrase him; mankind isn't all that unique or special. Look at the list of the elements that are the most prominent in space[footnote]Hydrogen, helium, oxygen and carbon, in that order. Helium is chemically inert, so besides changing the pitch of our voice, it has no bearing in our chemistry.[/footnote], and that list will match our chemical composition perfectly, sans helium.

Not trying to be argumentative- as I said, I see where you're coming from- but I gave up on religion a long time ago, so getting that message from an animated Jesus musical[footnote]Which the animation looked quite crisp. I can appreciate that, at least. :p[/footnote] leaves a sour taste in my mouth...

To quote Dr. Tyson yet again: "God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance." Scientists on the frontier of knowledge will often invoke God (or intelligent design) to explain what they themselves cannot. These are not the people we, as mankind, need in the labs.

I'm digressing quite a bit, and I apologize, but I think it's a perspective more people need to adopt, or at the very least, be exposed to.

Shutting up now. :X

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Luca72 said:
dogstile said:
Kalezian said:
nikki191 said:

...that makes you feel insignificant? The knowledge that the most complex particles in your body had to be cooked in a fucking STAR for billions of years before it went supernova and shotgunned them out through space? And that after 4 billion years of tiny organisms devouring each other and recombining, you just HAPPEN? You emerge as a sentient, self-aware being on a huge sphere rocketing around a billion year nuclear fission explosion, and your very presence effects the physical properties of every other object in the universe.

That sounds pretty rad to me.
No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. God does/did it all... that science mumbo jumbo with all its facts and evidence is just a hoax. Just you ask a Republican politician... ;-)