wait, in the US you don't have Coffee Crisp, Aero, or Smarties?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
The Yanks banned Kinder Surprise?

Does that mean they don't get Kinder Buenos?

Those poor, poor bastards. I shall weep for them this day.

*single tear*
Apparently they thought children might swallow the toy capsule inside.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Just for the record, speaking as a Canadian, while Aero bars and Coffee Crisp are fantastic, Smarties are absolute shite. They don't even begin to compare to M&Ms.

I think the chocolate is alright, it's just the incredibly shitty candy coating they put on them: it's too thick.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
The Yanks banned Kinder Surprise?

Does that mean they don't get Kinder Buenos?

Those poor, poor bastards. I shall weep for them this day.

*single tear*
In New York at least, we can get Buenos.
Some stores near me stock Aero and Smarties, but I have never heard of Coffee Crisp.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
game-lover said:
I have no idea what Coffee Crisp or Aero even is. So... I guess it'll have to be a yes.

We do have smarties. I've eaten them since I was a kid. Haven't had any lately.
Are they sugar or chocolate. If sugar the rest of the world calls them Rockets. If they are chocolate than ignore this.

OT: I remember going down to Michigan with my church on a missions trip and some of the other groups we met up with had no idea of Chocolate Smarties. We gave some to one girl and her mind was blown at how good they were. Also M&Ms do not compare to Smarties. Its like comparing Ginger Ale to Coke. The difference is just that big.

Jun 6, 2012
I moved from Ohio to Canada, and I despise Coffee Crisp, bleh. And I don't really taste a difference between each pop, pepsi here tastes the same as pepsi back home.

That being said Canada is missing out on a lot of restaurants, back home there were about 2 dozen places to get different kinds of food just in my home town. But here there are about 4 in this town that are all very similar, even Ottawa seems to have slim pickings. Toronto was ok though, but I'm guessing they have more tourism being right next to the border.

Long story short - I miss American food :(

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
We have smarties. Gross. Almost as bad as bottle caps. They had some soft chewy smarties for a while that were nice but I have not seem them in a while.

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
I live in LA and several grocery stores have a british section with marmite and spotted dick and whatnot, so I've seen Aeros there. There's also a chain of candy stores called Rocket Fizz that stocks older and harder to get brands of candy from america and different countries. Maybe I'll look there next time I go. XD

And yet, I can't find a place that sells Tim Tams. OH GOD WHY DOESN'T THIS STUPID COUNTRY SELL TIM TAMS???

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
What's a Coffee Crisp? I keep reading it as a typo of "Toffee Crisp", one of the most amazing chocolate bars ever.

Do you guys get Walnut Whips?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Florida here. I've had British Smarties plenty of times, because grocery stores in areas with large brit populations tend to have a good stock of British candy in the international food aisle. There's this one town in particular where a lot of wealthy Brits have Summer homes, and the Publix in that town is /full/ of the stuff. I've also had Aero, although it didn't stick out in my mind as anything but chocolate with holes in it. Can't say I've even heard of Coffee Crisp.

By the way, there /is/ a difference between Smarties and M&Ms other than the size: the shells on the Smarties are mildly flavored, M&Ms have food coloring but the shells are just sugar shells, no flavoring added.

Edit: there is one British candy I've had that's straight up better than its American equivalent: the Mars Bar. The closest thing we have is Three Musketeers, and it's pretty good, but the Mars Bar has a thicker layer of higher quality chocolate. It's the same thing but better, basically. Aldi's store brand has a lot of stuff like this, too. You get better chocolate going into Aldi and buying the store brand in this country than you do buying fancy expensive chocolate, let alone the mass market stuff it's competing with. Let that sink in for a minute.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
You don't have Aero? the chocolate?
Well there goes any chance of me visiting the US without atleast 3 or so containers of Aero. Thing is amazing, my friend. Especially the bubble variants.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
What is this blather about American chocolate being lesser? I've had chocolate from all around the world, Hershey is the superior offering.

Damn it, now I want S'mores.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Brainpaint said:
What's a Coffee Crisp? I keep reading it as a typo of "Toffee Crisp", one of the most amazing chocolate bars ever.

Do you guys get Walnut Whips?
Well here (i.e. Victoria, British Columbia, Canada) we can get them. There's a chain of grocery stores here with a decent imported foods section. It's where I buy my tea and occasionally pick up some Irn Bru.

But other than a place that imports the stuff I don't think so.

And as is noted elsewhere the Coffee Crisp is indeed distinct from the Toffee Crisp, which I have sadly never seen here.

I have worked for a number of years in convenience stores here, and just for the record there are four major companies in Canada that distribute chocolate bars: Nestle, Mars, Hershey's, and Cadbury. Of course not all of the products that those companies produce are going to be available here D:

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
BeeGeenie said:
Of course we have Smarties, but we call them M&Ms.

That's like saying we don't wear trousers just because we call them pants. (Granted, your chocolate trousers are generally better than our chocolate pants)
It's not like that at all.

M&Ms are not simply a US alternative to Smarties, it's an altogether different style with an completely different taste that just happen to look the same.

It isn't even a Coke/Pepsi sort of comparison, more like root beer / pepsi in how distinct they are.

In any case, we have both of those things, and while I do like smarties, M&Ms are different enough that I tend to prefer not having them.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Seth Carter said:
Daystar Clarion said:
'We can't let the people get their hands on the far superior European chocolate! They'll start to think food should taste like something other than corn syrup!'
Reminds me of a funny anecdote by an american coming back from a visit to Canada about how our Coke tasted completely different and better cause it had real sugar instead of corn syrup.
and yet whenever I see a Canadian down here they are chugging Cherry or Vanilla Coke by the 72oz Big gulp

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
UH, were have all of those. I'm not 100% certain about coffee crisps but the name sounds very very familiar. Aero is okay but doesn't hold a candle to Lion Bar

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Elfgore said:
I'm in Ohio so I'm somewhat close to the Canadian border. Not sure if that will change anything.

Anyway, I know we have Smarties. I ate them all the time in highschool. Aero I have seen in the foreign section, specifically British, at the local supermarket. Coffee Crisps I have never even heard of until now.
Those aren't Smarties, those are rockets. Smarties outside the US are called M&Ms in the US, and M&Ms outside the US have no analog. ;___;

It was weird going to Florida from Canada and having half the good candy vanish.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
DeltaEdge said:
schrodinger said:
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
These are the snip
There's something that looks similar to that...

One of my favorite sour candies to get. There's good flavor, and the sour isn't overpowering you.
what?

What's the point in eating sour candy if your mouth doesn't suffer acid burn. CLEARLY you're eating it wrong.
Someone get this lightweight a bag or warheads, stat! Be sure to eat at least 10 of them for some mouth and tongue eroding goodness. (I think I had like 13 over the course of a school day, and it messed up my taste buds to the point that I couldn't even eat plain lays, and it was probably the only time I ever liked baked lays)
oh warheads~

reminds me when i was 12 and got a bag of warheads for christmas. Ate half the bag and later discovered i burned a layer off my tongue. Was peeling for a day, blah.

revjor

Sep 30, 2011
I'm in Seattle and one thing we always have our Vancouver people bring us or we grab when we're up there are Ketchup Chips. Impossible to find here. Also, Kinder surprise.