Wait...What did you say?

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Julianking93 said:
AkJay said:
Twilight the books is crap, and i hated the movie for one sole reason. Why would you play a Radiohead song, a really good song, i might add, after a movie so tremendously god-awful!
Wait, there was a Radiohead song in that shit movie???

I could only stand to watch that movie for about 20 minutes before I said "NO!!!"
In the very end of the movie, thay play "15 Step"

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
I've not read it, and I don't have an opinion about it.

If you're curious, read it and find out if you like it or not.

If you haven't read it, don't judge people who have since you don't know what you're talking about.

If you have read it, don't judge people who like or dislike it because your opinion isn't the only one.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Every girl I know that read it said the writing was shitty. I also read if over my friend's shoulder and laughed at it the whole time.

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
That was pretty much my reaction when my mom told me that she liked Twilight.

Now, I have always known my mother to have very good taste in literature, although her tastes often differ from my own. Understandibly, when she told me about her opinion on Twilight, I was quite shocked.

I have never actually read the books but I assumed, due to the verbal and textual beatings the series has recieved on this and other forums, they were shit.

I am now considering reading the books myself to find the truth behind this and I can't help but think that maybe we all missed something here.

Was my assessment of my mother's taste in books inaccurate? Has this happened to anyone else?
I would rather cut off my male parts than read these books.
-however- a fangirl I know (ugh) informs me that book 1&2 are good and the 3rd book is rubbish.
It seems to be more of a womans/girl book tbh...however vampires got old ages ago thanks.

Ascarine

Mar 31, 2009
The definative answer to this is not a right or wrong thing. Its a question of personal taste. The fact that your mother liked it and you see her as having a good taste in literature is probably a reason for you personally to read the Book if not the Series. Personally i enjoyed the Books but you have to have an imagination to bend when Stephanie Meyer says and ignore bits that make no sense to any mythogic or Legendary story. For instance the sparkling. In the movie it looked like some small child had found it funny to take a pot of glue and poor it over a sleeping guy, the proceed to throw all it's sparkles over it and watch as the bystanders were bent over with laughter.
The idea of Vampires coming out in the day is one that is true however. According to very very old mythology vapires did come out in the day but when hollywood found out about the idealism of a vampire coming out, killing an innocent girl then returning to daily life attractive they desided to frill it up with bullshit stories from the mind of a very bored man if all he could come up with was "come out in darkness?". The Movie sucked. I want those hours back of my life. The books though, specially Breaking Dawn, were quite an entertaining read if a little long. 1st one is Vampires, 2nd is Werewolves, 3rd is so forgettable i couldn't care less and 4th is a culmination between the 3 others ***SPOILER ALERT*** which ends with the two largest cluts fighting and then it gets boring and the fighting stops because of a half Wolf Half Vamp.

Senial

Sep 18, 2008
sallene said:
Gormourn said:
sallene said:
considering that the main vampire is nearly 100yrs old stalking a young teenage highschool girl
Now think about just about ANY fantasy novels/short stories involving romance between elves and humans. Or any generic long-living/eternal race and humans.

Fuck, I'm not even trying to defend the books I've never read nor intend to any time soon, but this is a shitty argument. Take a look at Silmarillion or Lord of The Rings - Beren and Luthien? Aragorn and wasshername?

^Fanboy(EDIT: I fucked up the quote and I don't remember who I was trying to call a fanboy)

anyways... vampires out in the sun? Thats bullshit!

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
a good review of Twilight is by paper shredder reviews which lives up to its name and does it zero punctuation style. I really recommend it, the guy is well thought of and he has a few others that are also good. (the of the accout is CrownedDaemon)

Its a chick read.

she got the whole vampire thing wrong too, in two words

EPIC FAIL

sallene

Dec 11, 2008
Senial said:
sallene said:
Gormourn said:
sallene said:
considering that the main vampire is nearly 100yrs old stalking a young teenage highschool girl
Now think about just about ANY fantasy novels/short stories involving romance between elves and humans. Or any generic long-living/eternal race and humans.

Fuck, I'm not even trying to defend the books I've never read nor intend to any time soon, but this is a shitty argument. Take a look at Silmarillion or Lord of The Rings - Beren and Luthien? Aragorn and wasshername?

^Fanboy

I think you got those quotes turned around there, cause I am definetly not a fanboy of meyer's works.

Senial

Sep 18, 2008
sallene said:
Senial said:
sallene said:
Gormourn said:
sallene said:

^Fanboy

I think you got those quotes turned around there, cause I am definetly not a fanboy of meyer's works.
you quoted me before i had time to edit, my bad

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I've never actually read the books. I'm going to guess the right thing to do would be not start them?

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
twilight is for hopeless romantic skinny teens that have a very warped view of what is and isn't right

like how if you killed dozens or hundreds of people in cold blood it's ok as long as you have a backkground sobstory

lupe

Jun 21, 2009
Okay, let's go over some of the points being made in here:

- Vampires in the sun? This is not the first iteration of vampires being able to walk in sunlight (i.e somewhere in the Blade movies, and a second, more stylish version of vampire in the now canceled TV series 'Moonlight'). Yes, vampires are depicted as nocturnal creatures, but seeing as none of us have actually met a vampire (well, I assume so, anyway :p), I see no reason why vampires couldn't go out into good old sunshine, with or without some sort of penalties.

- Inapropriate age difference. Honestly, I fail to see how that makes a difference. Not in real live, and much less so if you're a vampire and you're stuck in the body of a teenager for a good chunk of eternity. Given this, it's expected that you a)stick around crowds where you don't stand out - other teenagers and b) occasionally, over the course of an insanely long life, feel the need for companionship, romance, or plain sex, and your most obvious place to start looking for someone to fulfill those needs is in your usual environment.

- Quality of writing and quality of the movie. Okay, so this another thing that really makes no difference. After going out to see the movie with friends I've alreday found out that the movie is bad. Hollywood, ftw. I'm going to start reading the books at some point anyway. If the books are good, then it's my gain. If they suck, I can always stop when I start yawning and my utter lack of faith in humanity will be restored.

SamLowry

Aug 27, 2008
Rejoice, fellow creatures of the night! There is a.. CURE!

[http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4342/trublood.jpg]

This, and Type 0 Negative...

Chicago Typewriter

May 25, 2009
I've read the first book in the series and didn't enjoy it, but I've never understood the hatred people seem to have for it. Stephanie Meyer has never claimed that her writing is anything above sub par in the Twilight series. She's even admitted that the books are mainly fluff with no true substance. I respect her for her willingness to take negative comments without vitriol.

I'm sure the books are fun to read from a guilty pleasure standpoint. It doesn't take much energy to understand the plot or the characters, and you can plow through them pretty quickly. But if you're looking for a complex vampire story with sympathetic, interesting characters, I recommend the Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. Interview with the Vampire is excellent. But stay as far away from the atrocious Queen of the Damned movie as possible. -shudders-