Wait... what? I won?

Dec 14, 2008
Recently I have notice a trend in my gaming where I accidently win all of a sudden. My most recent incident of winning was in Civ 5, where after luanching a couple of nukes I got a conquest victory out of nowhere.

So has anyone else accidently won a game here?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I've gotten a few lucky grenade throws that put me in the lead a few times if that counts. Otherwise no I haven't.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
It's not an accident if you're trying to do it, is it?

You just did it sooner than you expected!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
It was back when GH3 first came out and after a while of failing One by Metallica several times i eventually just said "Fuck it" and gave it one last try..somehow the game knew that and gave me the credit of winning.

Dec 14, 2008
Moonmover said:
It's not an accident if you're trying to do it, is it?

You just did it sooner than you expected!
I was trying to milk as much play time out of it, and clicking the "one more turn" option is something I can't bring myself to do.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I recently installed X-Wing Alliance on my laptop. Given that the game was released in 1999 for Windows 9X based systems, it runs rather buggily on my modern pc. Anyway, I recently completed all the objectives of a mission, pressed the hyperspace button to get back to the base, and then waited for the end of the mission to load. It never loaded -- I just sat there in an empty expanse of space. Knowing full well that I'd have to redo it, I quit the mission. To my surprise, the game decided that I had successfully completed the mission, and allowed me to advance to the next one.

Other than that, I can't say I've ever accidentally won at a game; generally speaking, if I win it's because I'm trying to win. [sub]Of course, trying to win doesn't preclude losing.[/sub]

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
philosophicalbastard said:
I was trying to milk as much play time out of it, and clicking the "one more turn" option is something I can't bring myself to do.
You probably just nuked the last foreign capital on the map, which equals instant Conquest Victory. You got to know the rules, if you are going to exploit them.

Dobrev

Mar 25, 2009
I complicated puzzle game where you need to pick the correct sequence. I just mashed some buttons, so I can get back into the main menu and actualy read the instructions. But instead I got the "Congratulations!" sign. My second try took me a good half an hour.

Dec 14, 2008
Telperion said:
You probably just nuked the last foreign capital on the map, which equals instant Conquest Victory. You got to know the rules, if you are going to exploit them.
There were atleast three un-nuked capitals left, upon reflection it could have also been a diplomatic victory because I just constructed the U.N. Yeah, I definetly wasn't paying much attention to the game.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
The closest I can think of this at the moment is for Rock Band 2, when I had to sing this song by Paramour I believe it was. I was trying to sing it on key and good, but I was fast approaching failure. I essentially said 'well fuck it' and started singing horribly off key on purpose. Somehow, after I started singing horribly I actually beat the song while in the high green (and also, I provided something for my brothers to make fun of me with for several months).

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
during Guitar Hero it was the last note(s) and i wanted to get 100%
I sneezed. I looked up, and my fingers had flinched on the right buttons at the right time. granted, it was easy, but it was still epic

Lula21

Aug 23, 2010
mance200 said:
I was once high on painkillers and all I had was an NES and a cartridge of Tetris. I tempted fate, booted it up, and played Tetris on the hardest difficulty(level 9 I think). I got 8 Tetrises in the matter of 3-5 minutes. Strange because it takes me 10 minutes just to get 3 lines at once.
I've definitely noticed I get better at Tetris the more out of it and sleepy I am. I got one of my highest scores early one morning before class, while I was groggy and probably running on 4 hours sleep. You just kind of go into the zone or something.

Not really one game in particular, but I've won many racing games by accidentally crashing or flipping my car over the finish line.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Recently I have notice a trend in my gaming where I accidently win all of a sudden. My most recent incident of winning was in Civ 5, where after luanching a couple of nukes I got a conquest victory out of nowhere.

So has anyone else accidently won a game here?
Civ V also, I randomly won from everyone voting on the United Nations that I didn't even know that exsisted yet.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Judgement101 said:
Civ V also, I randomly won from everyone voting on the United Nations that I didn't even know that exsisted yet.
I have also done the Diplomatic Victory this way: someone else constructs the UN, and every allied City-State then voted for me. Victory through throwing money at City-States.