Wal-Mart, Best Buy End Used Game Trade-In Programs

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Must have been in select locations, because none of that happened in any of the Walmarts or Best Buys I visited last year.

Pots

Oct 9, 2007
I live on long island and I have never saw or heard of this before either. I wonder if anyone has.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Hardcore gamers aren't the ones trading in their games, so there you go. Never heard of this to begin with.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I think I know why it failed. They failed to actually start offering the service!

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Worgen said:
oppp7 said:
Feh, I buy most games from Gamestop.
Looks like I'll have to continue buying my scratched and broken CDs from Gamestop...
do the stores around you not have a return policy or something? the ones around here give you 7 days on a used game to decide if you like it then you can return it for any reason
They do. But it's still irritating to get a CD and then have to return it.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Well, looks like I'm keeping my old games or off to gamestop

Or slick joe around the corner. He makes a good deal on games

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I think the "rates" they have for them were probalby too dastardly low, just like gamestop's. None in their right mind trades in games anymore. it, for hte most part, isn't worth it.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
i work for Blockbuster and they keep insisting that they can compete with Gamestop.
our store has every employee pushing pre-sales for bioshock 2, god of war 3, and final fantasy 13. we have to push these on every customer, not just the people who are renting games.
i keep telling my boss that it is a lost cause, that most gamers don't associate blockbuster with trade-ins and pre-orders, and probably never will. but apparently, this is from somewhere higher up the corporate ladder, you know, on the same level where monkeys throw feces at one another.

Deadkandy

Feb 2, 2010
well Wal-mart and such arent allowed in australia due to fair trading legislation because the cheap sons-o-b*tches undercut EVERYTHING which in my opinion is a good thing....on that not the major retail operation we have here is EB Games and they offer you about $1 for a used game (obviously im exaggerating but I DONT LIKE YOU!)
so i would have a clue about this :) but good on wal-mart for stuffing up again :)

Edit: on that note, all blockbuster is here is a simple video/games rental service seems they are a little bigger over there yes?

NoriYuki Sato

May 26, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ouch. Well, I've never seen an e-play machine before, and I live in the major American city of Philadelphia.

We have things called RedBox which only rent movies.
yeah, i'm in Boise, and neither Wal-Mart's nor the Best Buy's here ever had those. it's okay though, i don't like Wal-Mart, and never go to Best Buy, but i'm glad it went under, the local store here is actually really cool, and they can barely stay above water as it is.

Deadkandy

Feb 2, 2010
NoriYuki Sato said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ouch. Well, I've never seen an e-play machine before, and I live in the major American city of Philadelphia.

We have things called RedBox which only rent movies.
yeah, i'm in Boise, and neither Wal-Mart's nor the Best Buy's here ever had those. it's okay though, i don't like Wal-Mart, and never go to Best Buy, but i'm glad it went under, the local store here is actually really cool, and they can barely stay above water as it is.
thats why i love laws that prevent them from entering the country ^_^

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I used to work for E-Play actually. Their failure is their own fault. The machines are nice, really really nice, but their customer service sucks. I had 5 machines to work, and a lot of people were excited about the video game aspect being able to buy and sell games. But while they had the buy aspect down, I hardly got any games back to sell to customers. I was constantly being asked when they'd be able to buy games finally, and corperate would give me no answer.Furthermore, although it was rare for them to foul up, I had instances of machines that would take games and not print a reciept to be redeemed for cash or store credit, and I didn't have the access to repreint a reciept, nor would their customer service acknowledge that the machines could make a mistake.

These are just problems I had as a lowly merchandiser, but an ear to the wall told me of a lot more problems their corperate side had. Overall, I've seen lemonade stands with better business models. I was terminated from the job months ago when they brought everything in house because they couldn't afford a merchandising team. The fact that they're going under was not unforseen.