wales

SpaceArcader

Mar 2, 2011
I'm from Ammanford, which is located near, Carmarthen and Llandeilo. I dont mind Wales myself, I don't hate the place, but if anything I hate Welsh nationalists. I'm proud of living here, but nationalists take it way too far. I was a bit slow learning at childhood, I didnt speak properly till 4 at least so my parents decided that it be easier to stick to one language which is English. Today I may take an English or Media course in Aberystwyth uni but anyway off topic, nationalists would insult me and claim that I am not a true Welshman because I cant speak the lingo, I can understand some words here and there but still English is easy. My only complaint that I'd like other countries to know that this is a country. I mean they know Ireland and Scotland.

Ace of Spades

Jul 12, 2008
I know a little bit about Welsh history from when I took Medieval European History. When the Saxons showed up in England and the Britons couldn't mount an effective defense against them, they fled westward into Wales where the terrain was easily defensible. They helped out in a few rebellions against the English monarchy. That's all I got.

Cool Welshy

Mar 15, 2011
EradiusLore said:
can i just ask, one welshmen to another. do you actualy know why you have english people? if you honestly dont hate then thats cool my bad, but i have lived most of my life (except last 3 years) in wales and everyone hates england, but for no logical reason! maybe because many many hundreds of years ago wales was pwned in a war with england. still too soon?
Honestly, I have no idea too. But if I had to guess, it could be because they hate us. That or rugby.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well, I was fairly neutral about Wales, until they made Torchwood. Now I'm a bit weeaboo.

I think it's really odd that so many people from the US don't get that the UK is made of seperate constitutient bits, given that it's the same in their own nation. If you lived in, say, New Zealand, which is all one bit of New Zealandness, then it'd make some sort of sense.

I also think it's a bit odd that there's so few people living in Wales, compared to England, though.

Cynimod

Nov 19, 2009
In my Britain Courses, we were never taught about Wales in the same extent as England, Scotland or Ireland. Save that the fact that the Prince Regent is made the Prince of Wales, there is little else discussed about Wales.
Also you need a pint of phlegm to pronounce some of the names in Wales. That's it.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Da pyro man 999 said:
Sad face): I have been living with those jokes for years now. And i don't feel thats fair.
I live in America, people on here bash us all the time. Furthermore I'm from Texas, so that's like x4 with the "it's cool to hate America" thing.

Cherio.

jbchillin

Sep 16, 2010
wales is a part of the uk and is on the island of great Britain. that is the extent of my american knowledge of wales.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I know that wales exists, I know roughly where it is, but I know nothing about it's culture or laws, or anything. Honestly, I couldn't even name a single city in wales.
Then again, i'm from US, and our education sucks.

Ilke

Mar 28, 2010
Overly long and undecipherable town names? Don't have much of an idea otherwise.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I know of Wales..... it stopped being important along time ago. Minus the 2 world wars. *Wanders off because Wales is boring... most likely to Ireland*

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
Y'all have some mighty long words that rival finnish in complexity, and a friend of mine says that "you've got to have a pint of saliva in your mouth just to pronounce a city name there". Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't merill from Dragon Age 2 have a welsh accent? Or was that just me? Also, you have a kick-ass flag, but in general you're stupidly underrepresented in the entertainment world.
I'm not so sure about the last part, although I guess you could argue that wales itself isn't well represented, but a lot of really well known BBC productions seem to be from wales.
(Doctor Who for instance. - Kind of weird, really, because when David Tennant was the doctor, it meant we had a welsh production company, making a series frequently set in london, Starring a scottish man pretending to have an English accent. - Yeah... All it's missing is some arbitrary northern Irish stuff...)

Mrselfdestruct

Sep 5, 2009
I hardly know anything about Wales and I'm from there...

I don't think I'll be going back there much now though, might be living in England forever...it's better there anyway.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
...Wales isn't a country, you're a part of the U.K..
All I know is that it's part of the U.K., on the Island of Great Britain.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I remember the first time I heard something in Welsh (the AV thingy) I seriously thought she was speaking Elvish. But I've known of Wales for ages, don't really know much about it other than it being the butt of jokes by Englishmen.

I don't see how anyone could miss the whole "Prince of Wales", anyone who was alive in the 90's heard nonstop about Diana.

Ambi

Oct 9, 2009
Things that come to mind are castles, Manic Street Preachers, greenness, bilingual population, and Britain... It is part of Britain, right? I'll look it up.

Captain_Maku said:
As a Welsh person, I am therefore obligated to ask any and all Americans to try their hand at saying this out loud:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll]

[small]Linked to prove that it the name is a real place.[/small]

I've lived in several places in the country; was born in Penarth, but I think of myself mostly as from the Rhondda.

*EDIT* Damn you, ninjas!
I tried. I'm not American, though. I'm hoping someone will record their attempt and post it.

EradiusLore

Jun 29, 2010
Cool Welshy said:
EradiusLore said:
can i just ask, one welshmen to another. do you actualy know why you have english people? if you honestly dont hate then thats cool my bad, but i have lived most of my life (except last 3 years) in wales and everyone hates england, but for no logical reason! maybe because many many hundreds of years ago wales was pwned in a war with england. still too soon?
Honestly, I have no idea too. But if I had to guess, it could be because they hate us. That or rugby.
see i thought that, but i live in england now and i have never heard a single person say something bad about wales, and yet in wales its hate by everyone around my generation and older/younger generations. its not a 2 way thing. it just seems to come from the welsh side. crazy stuff.