Walking Dead players please respond!

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
alexwbyrd said:
I have a question that I've been dying to know the answer to:

DO THE DECISIONS MADE IN THE GAME ACTUALLY EFFECT HOW THE STORY PROGRESSES? IF SO, TO WHAT EXTENT?

It's just that I've seen a lot of reviews which state that so many decision points in the game just have the same result regardless as to what you chose to do.
The overall progress of where the story heads, not really. The details, and the character interactions are greatly influenced by your decisions.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Nouw said:
The story? No, not really. The characters? Very much so, and that is where the charm of The Walking Dead comes in.

This is accurate. I know two other people who have played it, and none of us have had the same experience. The choices definitely matter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
D Moness said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I'm not sure what you mean...

Could you clarify?

In spoilers of course :D
What i can not believe is that over 60% of the people playing the game(and most probably trying to protect Clam as much as possible). Are telling an 8 year old kid to shoot them. A character that has become more or less a surrogate parent to that kid. Ok you might be afraid that you turn, still you are probably chained to the radiator anyway so you are not going anywhere. Why would people want to more or less give that kid more issues by telling her to shoot you. BTW i didn't check the bowlingball bag but seen enough horror movies to know what is in it

btw it is my personal opinion about that problem :)
Ah I see :D

I made Clem shoot me, I think I needed to know that, if she can put Lee out of his misery, she can do it to anyone. It was the same sort of thing with Kenny. I took care of his son, but Kenny needed to kill that walker kid in the mansion, not for the kid, but for himself.
I figured she had been scarred enough at that point and I just didn't have it in me to make my goodbye into a lesson for her >.>
Better she knew Lee was at peace, than to always wonder if he was walking around out there.
I don't know. I figure she's experienced enough to understand that once you're turned you are dead. I don't think shooting Lee in the face will really bring her anymore closure... at least, not in the mind of a child.
Normally I'd agree, but she's not a child anymore, she's a child in a zombie apocalypse.
Maybe I just wanted life to be somewhat normal for her one last time before she had to go out in the world and survive on her own... well... as normal as handcuffing your de facto father to a radiator before saying goodbye forever is.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
As far as that final decision y'all are talking about goes...

I let Lee turn. In part because I didn't want Clem's final memory of him to be shooting him in the head, and in part because it'd be a waste of a bullet she might very well need later.

AdamxD

Mar 5, 2012
rhizhim said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fappy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
D Moness said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Could you clarify?

What i can not believe is that over 60% of the people playing the game(and most probably trying to protect Clam as much as possible). Are telling an 8 year old kid to shoot them. A character that has become more or less a surrogate parent to that kid. Ok you might be afraid that you turn, still you are probably chained to the radiator anyway so you are not going anywhere. Why would people want to more or less give that kid more issues by telling her to shoot you. BTW i didn't check the bowlingball bag but seen enough horror movies to know what is in it

I made Clem shoot me, I think I needed to know that, if she can put Lee out of his misery, she can do it to anyone. It was the same sort of thing with Kenny. I took care of his son, but Kenny needed to kill that walker kid in the mansion, not for the kid, but for himself.
I figured she had been scarred enough at that point and I just didn't have it in me to make my goodbye into a lesson for her >.>
Better she knew Lee was at peace, than to always wonder if he was walking around out there.
I don't know. I figure she's experienced enough to understand that once you're turned you are dead. I don't think shooting Lee in the face will really bring her anymore closure... at least, not in the mind of a child.
I don't know how the dialouge goes on when you decide that she should shoot you.

my lee's last words to her was "dont be afraid" and i figured out that she, after seeing her parents undead, already understood that once you turn you are dead. she even said "i was my parents and now i know they are dead"

and i didnt let her shoot me since the whole damn town was overrun.
i didn't care if i turn and spend eternity as a mindless thing as long i can make sure to give clem even a little bit of security to get out there alive.

thats why i died as a one armed man chained to a radiator, probably turning into a zed.
After seeing her reaction to seeing her parents turned, I couldn't have her wondering if Lee had turned and was out there. I got her to shoot Lee. If she'd ever have come across Lee again (admittedly unlikely due to the handcuffs) it would have tormented her more.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
Fappy said:
Maybe I just wanted life to be somewhat normal for her one last time before she had to go out in the world and survive on her own... well... as normal as handcuffing your de facto father to a radiator before saying goodbye forever is.
Daystar Clarion said:
Normally I'd agree, but she's not a child anymore, she's a child in a zombie apocalypse.
True, times have changed and while Clem killing Lee does mean she'd be able to shoot anyone if it ever got to it, it's an incredibly scarring way to test such a thing, as there's still a huge amount of difference between killing a walker or a hostile stranger and killing someone who you've started to view as a father and the only friend you have left. I understand that we need to know whether she can handle herself, but you know that that the story moves within the confines of a story, meaning that she'll either be able to do or not do whatever is going to be needed in S2 regardless of whether you let Clem shoot lee or not.

Even if you don't look at it that way, Clem did kill that walker and you all know damn well just how goddamn intelligent that kid is. I had full faith in her and I didn't want it to end that way. She won't wonder whether Lee turned into a walker, she'll KNOW he turned, but she'll never encounter him again, judging from the circumstances.

I didn't want the last moment between them be one where she splatters his brain against the wall. She's been through an insane amount of things already and I didn't want her to kill with her own hands the last person on earth for whom she cares for. Her killing Lee would give me reassurance, but would not provide closure for her, improve her mental state or make it easier to keep living in the apocalypse. Her leaving would leave situations open, but would prevent her mental health from declining even further (and avoid an extra, painful layer of grief). That's how I view it, at least.

Besides, knowing that she does shoot you if you ask her to in what I'll call an alternative universe that I cannot perceive, I'm sure she'll be fine. In fact, if you refuse, she says that she could end it right now, meaning that she herself believes she'd be capable of doing so.

Ugh Damn it, I hate it when I get reminded of the ending. The worst things about all of this is that no matter how hard I try to ignore it, a lot of things point at the probability that she won't make it through S2...

alexwbyrd

Jul 12, 2012
Thanks a lot guys, this really does answer my question. But it still leaves out the question for myself: Should I buy this? Seeing as I'm in a financial rut right now, buying anything that is over 10 bucks is essentially a chess move.

Although it does sound pretty cool that the character relationships can change a lot based on what you say, it's still really off-putting that the overarching story doesn't change much. Having X die no matter what and having this event play out the same way no matter what is rather arbitrary and that sounds like a deal breaker for me. I'm accustomed to games like the Witcher (1 and 2) and Heavy Rain where the outcome and progression of the story is effected a lot by decisions so hearing this about The Walking Dead discourages me :(.

Dec 14, 2009
alexwbyrd said:
Thanks a lot guys, this really does answer my question. But it still leaves out the question for myself: Should I buy this? Seeing as I'm in a financial rut right now, buying anything that is over 10 bucks is essentially a chess move.

Although it does sound pretty cool that the character relationships can change a lot based on what you say, it's still really off-putting that the overarching story doesn't change much. Having X die no matter what and having this event play out the same way no matter what is rather arbitrary and that sounds like a deal breaker for me. I'm accustomed to games like the Witcher (1 and 2) and Heavy Rain where the outcome and progression of the story is effected a lot by decisions so hearing this about The Walking Dead discourages me :(.
Well that's the gamble you have to take I'm afraid :D

I can't guarantee you'll like it, but if you like character driven narrative, you'll probably love it.

Murrdox

Nov 20, 2012
alexwbyrd said:

In terms of whether or not it's worth your money... wait for the next Steam sale if you're iffy. I've seen it discounted many times. If money is tight and you want a good game, you might want something you can sink more raw HOURS into than Walking Dead. The scope of Walking Dead doesn't come anywhere near The Witcher or Witcher 2.

When/if you can afford it, it's a great game though, and definitely worth the price of admission.

Check out FTL.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
D Moness said:

It's not 'issues,' it's a survival strategy. Someone you're close to gets bit, they're a walking time bomb, it's always a good idea to say your goodbyes and put them down.

The people with the issues in zombie movies and games are the ones that keep their zombified loved ones chained to beds/chairs/radiators and just can't get past what they once where.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
purf said:
The thing is: The decisions will affect YOU.
Very much this. Spoiler-free version of my experience... I started playing the game from a cold, logical perspective, essentially treating Clem's survival like an optimization problem. I was kind to and honest with her, but when it came down to any decision, my thought process was little more than, "Which action can I take that maximizes Clem's chances of survival while minimizing her chances of being harmed." But one event in the game essentially called me out on this kind of behavior, and it completely changed the way I looked at and played the game. I made decisions in the later episodes that would have been unthinkable to me in the earlier ones.

It was the pitchfork murder on the farm. My thought process at the time was totally lucid: I didn't murder the guy for revenge, or because I was angry, or whatever. I did it because I knew I needed to go in the house, and I decided that leaving the brother alive when he could potentially interfere was too great a risk. But when Clem witnessed it and screamed... holy shit, that changed my perspective on everything completely. It made me think a lot about what sort of example I was setting by doing these things. I'd essentially reduced myself to be just as horrible as the zombies or as the farmers themselves--the logic that justified murdering someone to prevent the possibility of him interfering with me later could easily justify the cannibalism they (initially) only engaged in as a means to survival. From that point forward, it's not like I did anything I considered really reckless, but I was very aware of the human element when before I had not been. When she asked me why I'd killed the guy, I flat out told her I'd made the wrong decision. I really felt that as a player.

Specifically with Ben. I swore up and down I would leave or murder that son of a ***** after the Carley incident. His other actions (running from Clem and the zombies, the wrench, getting drunk with Kenny) only intensified that. But when it came down to it... I couldn't. I thought about voting him out, but when Clem voted for him to stay, I ended up agreeing with her. And when the "opportunity" presented itself for me to drop him--Clem wasn't there to see, he begged me to do it, I still kind of wanted to--I couldn't do it. I just couldn't. (Edit: His epic "fuck you" speech to Kenny later on redeemed him 100% in my eyes.)

Also I really wish there were an "open all spoilers in this thread" button.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
D Moness said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Could you clarify?

but...
to make her shoot you is to toughen her to the hardships of the world now. she learns from what you told her, and then you harden her unintentionally by making her do the two of the only things she has yet to do: make an extremely difficult choice, and kill a person.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
bullet_sandw1ch said:
but...
to make her shoot you is to toughen her to the hardships of the world now. she learns from what you told her, and then you harden her unintentionally by making her do the two of the only things she has yet to do: make an extremely difficult choice, and kill a person.
well she killed a zombie when i took her along in eps 4 to look for items. She also killed the person that held held her captive in my play through. To me she is tough enough. Asking her to shoot myself because i do not want to turn is in my opinion selfish. Also i kept telling her that she should only kill if it is necessary. So I can not ask her to kill me. Like i said it is how i felt about that situation at that time
spoiler convo how fun >.<

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
alexwbyrd said:

I'd say rent or borrow if you can, or wait until you have $30 for the disc. It is a great experience you shouldn't miss, but as it's basically a 15-20 hour movie, you aren't likely to replay it. The only things that will change are character's attitudes. You can choose how and/or when certain people die, but not much else. I -think- there are only two endings, affected by a single decision.

So i can understand your hesitation, I would love to see more varied consequences in interactive stories, but i still highly recommend playing it at least once. You won't regret it.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
D Moness said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Could you clarify?

Personally I was planning to let Clem leave me there, but when she said she didn't want me to turn into a zombie I just couldn't let that happen, so I let her shoot me, Also I let her use the handcuffs on the cop to keep her safe.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
D Moness said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Could you clarify?

I'm also part of that 60%, for basically the same reasons as Daystar.

I've seen plenty of other people say they did that too. That 60% stat seems perfectly accurate to me.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Zhukov said:

I've seen plenty of other people say they did that too. That 60% stat seems perfectly accurate to me.
I never claimed that stat was not accurate.
I was claiming something completely different

Well claiming is a big word. I just more or less wanted to know the frame of mind of that 60% because i didn't get it. I get why people did it, don't agree but i get it.

Wonder how you got the idea i was saying the stat was not accurate.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
D Moness said:
Zhukov said:

I never claimed that stat was not accurate.
I was claiming something completely different
Oh. I thought that's what you meant when you said you found it unbelievable.

My mistake.