Wannabe Valve Employee Creates Musical Job Application

Koshok

Jan 22, 2011
If the point of this video was to get Valve's attention, this should do it. Heck, if I were in a position to hire someone who did something like this, I'd at least look at her resume. Probably doesn't guarantee an interview, but it'll at least help get a second glance from Valve.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
kebab4you said:
So she´s applying for what position? If it´s for any art position I can see why she got rejected.
Sadly, it seeming like this is what she was going for, and I also can understand them rejecting her. The art was stuff I remember people I know doing in 8th grade (not trying to be mean, just stating the facts).

Too bad; she seemed to have a lot of enthusiasm.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
If she actually has skills that Valve want, then more power to her. Hope she gets the job.

If not however, it's still a cute video.

Caboose671

Dec 27, 2008
I see what she is trying to go at. She has talent, but if valve doesn't need more artists it's too bad. Maybe she needs to try to gain more skills in more fields. Hope the best to her.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I hope she doesn't get hired, just so she can have her dreams crushed in front of her very eyes. Man life would be sweet were that to happen.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
And shes applying for an artist position? Holy crap if she gets a job my 2nd grade quality monstrosities will get me one.
I was surprised at this too, but she has her own website to show off her proper art. The link is in the youtube description.
(NSFW, but in an artsy way)

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
dfphetteplace said:
I hope she gets the job.
She doesn't really deserve it, the effort put into this application could been towards improving her skills which is lacking in so many areas(the animation isn't even on part with the bad ones on flash sites).

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
kebab4you said:
So she´s applying for what position? If it´s for any art position I can see why she got rejected.
Oh ho ho, look! A specially-trained Escapist ninja.
No, seriously: by today's industry standards, you have to be a big thinker and come up with great ideas if you want to be a designer and get hired, you have to be great at visualising what the designers want, drawing, doing artwork ranging from a simple character face to an epic space battle with dozens of spaceships (think EVE Online most epic space battle events), and programmers must know how to stick to the art and design and make the thing real.
Seeing as how it looks like an 8-year old drawing, I guess she should have majored in something else than art...

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
kebab4you said:
dfphetteplace said:
I hope she gets the job.
She doesn't really deserve it, the effort put into this application could been towards improving her skills which is lacking in so many areas(the animation isn't even on part with the bad ones on flash sites).
Well I guess I can't be nice and hope something good for anyone else. Thanks for putting me on the right path.

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
Tank207 said:
I sense the birth of a new internet meme.
Unfortunately by pointing it out, you've ruined any chance of it being widely considered as one, if certain people on Encyclopedia Dramatica and 4chan are to be believed anyway. To paraphrase, "OMYGAWD MILLHOUSE ISN'T A MEME!"

OT: Valve is a very difficult studio to get into, an awesome one, but the difficulty makes enthusiasm redundant if you don't have the skills to back it up. If they've already rejected her before then chances are she doesn't have the skill required. Valve being Valve might just hire her because it's what they do, and to make aspiring developers such as myself build a statue of Grigori to get their attention... Wait... Nobody take that idea, i called it.

webby

Sep 13, 2010
Carnagath said:
Yeah, she posted about it on /v/(anonymously of course) a couple of days ago, when her video only had less than 100 views, and everyone bit her face off for claiming to be a Valve fangirl while her Steam profile showed that pretty much the only Valve game she played for more than 10 minutes was Portal 1, then proceeded to troll her for the atrocious "artsy" pictures she had uploaded on her website and for being the typical "gurrrrl gamer" that just seeks attention. I shrugged it off, and now I see it on the Escapist. Welp.
I'll be honest, I was in a world of not really giving a shit about whether she got the job, add this into the mix and my level of care goes through the floor... of my basement... my hypothetical basement that doesn't actually exist.

I could understand a massive Valve fan going for this, but what she has wrote only implies that she googled valve and checked their wiki article out.

Let's see if the guilt trip option actually works though, if it does my opinion of the world may actually decrease. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" can only go so far, and this seems like pandering.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I can admire her determination and creativity but life isn't always that fair. By all mean I got nothing against her but I doubt that Valve will automatically hire her because of that song since there could be others who want the same oppertunity like her who didn't make a song.
Also that stunt remind of that guy from the US Apprentice years ago whose application was a musical number.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
kebab4you said:
dfphetteplace said:
I hope she gets the job.
Go to the website linked in the description, shows off much more of her capabilities in a proper light. Still not great or anything, but it's a funny little way to get their attention.