Want to get my feet wet in the jrpg world

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Eternal Sonata for the PS3 seems to fit your description fairly decently.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Just throwing out another recommendation for Persona 4 if you still have a PS2 floating around. If you want a classic play Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI.

Also, Persona 4 Arena is a treat if you've played P3 and P4.

Nebraskaslim

Apr 6, 2011
I know you said pc only but if you have a PS2 get XenoSaga or Star Ocean till the end of time. Oh and Legend of Legaia on PS1 is amazing.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Batman said:
pps. eh I should have mentioned this earlier. I play on a pc, so unfortunately console and hand helds are out of the picture. Feel dumb for not stating this beforehand.
You should still be able to emulate Wii and PS2 games on a fairly modest gaming rig (heck, I do). I can personally attest to Persona 4 and Xenoblade Chronicles running beautifully under emulation. Just make sure you actually buy the games, support the developers and all that.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
I just came to say Persona 4, now go get it.

EDIT:Also try not to get confused with Persona 4 Arena, that's a fighting game based on the RPG, and were recommending the RPG.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
Limiting yourself to PC is going to throw out the vast majority of JRPGs. Sure, there's emulation but that will take some effort and patience on your part to get working. If consoles and handhelds are out of the picture I'd recommend a different genre to be honest.

KRAKENDIE

Mar 19, 2012
Why has only one person said Chrono Trigger? Play Chrono Trigger. And while you're at it, play The Last Remnant. But beware. The Last Remnant is trying and very tactical. You can't go wrong with Xenoblade either.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Persona 3+4. Do it.
TehCookie said:
I'm going to second Persona 3 and 4, if you are allergic to seriousness go with 4.
jebara said:
I just came to say Persona 4, now go get it.
krazykidd said:
Persona 4 . Great story/characters/gameplay . I wouldn't suggest 3 until you get a few Jrpgs under your belt .
Great job, boys. Report back to home-base for a job well done and two cookies each. :D

OT: Yeah, Persona 4 is teh best JRPG ever made. To me anyway.

You should totally give it a shot.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Lost Odyssey. Play it right now. Seriously. It's like £4 in shops.
[small](The beginning will be a bit misleading. The main character isn't angsty, he's just quiet for most of the beginning of the game. When he starts to speak up he's fine.)[/small]

Edit:

Slash Dementia said:
I wouldn't really say Nier's a JRPG. It's more of a hack-and-slash with RPG elements.

Another edit: Oh wait, PC only. Get an Xbox 360 so you can play Lost Odyssey! It's awesome!

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Fappy said:
Sir Fappington, a moment of your time?

I think you.. should join the Persona fan group.

You like the game, and we like the game. Talk about the game with other members and have fun. It's a wonderful cycle! :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona

[small]I'm not forcing you to join or anything... Just a suggestion..[/small]

Melondrupe

Jan 12, 2012
Earthbound (Mother 2) has lighthearted charm and some trekking through different lands.

Depending how you feel about playing games that need a translation patch Metal Max Returns(SNES, which has a out of Japan release on the PS2, Metal Saga), Hourai High (Has a high encounter rate, about twenty to thirty battles per area midway through) and Mother 3 are three RPGs that have a sense of ever-present humor; well two of them have a constant humor to them.

For battle systems that are pure beauty, check out Chrono Cross and Tactics Ogre(PSP).

If one must throw an action RPG into the mix, check out Dragon's Dogma and the Mana series games (Secret of, Sword of and Seiken Densetsu 3.)

For free and hundred percent legal RPGs, check out [http://site.scfworks.com/] Last Scenario and Exit Fate.

Since it's PC only, the above two and the following can be played on the PC. These four do cost money however.

Deadly Sin
Deadly Sin: Shining Faith
Loren The Amazon Princess
Planet Stronghold

Have yet to play the last three, so I can't attest to their quality. The first was enjoyable, but the presentation is kind of unappealing given that it uses standard RPGmaker graphics.

For more free RPGs look up Paradise Blue, Final Fantasy High, Alter Alia and Alter Aila Genesis.

It's probably worth pointing out that when you say JRPG, I'm reading it as Console RPG.

The Last Remnant is available on Steam.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
neonsword13-ops said:
Fappy said:
Sir Fappington, a moment of your time?

I think you.. should join the Persona fan group.

You like the game, and we like the game. Talk about the game with other members and have fun. It's a wonderful cycle! :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona

[small]I'm not forcing you to join or anything... Just a suggestion..[/small]
I'll join, but I'll stay out of chat until I beat the game to avoid spoilers. I have had some stuff spoiled for me already DX

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
ChronoTrigger and FFVI are good places to start. The Breath of fire series (1-4, skip Dragon Quarter, which is 5) is good. And the first two Lufia games are also a great experience.

You could borrow a friend's Nintendo Wii and play Xenoblade. It is by far the best jrpg of this generation, and is easily toe to toe with ChronoTrigger in my favorite game of all time. Last Story is another great game to play on your borrowed Nintendo gaming system.

Persona 4 is a good game, as mentioned.

Skies of Arcadia is a fantastic game, but would be better appreciated if you played one or two other rpgs first.

The Wild Arms series is also great (1-5, skipping 4 as it's kind of a second cousin to the others). WA 1 and 2 are fun, 3 is very quick, and 5 is okay as well.

You should skip a few. Someone already recommended it, but skip Rogue Galaxy as your first game. Skip turn-based strategy games like FFTactics and Disgaea for your first (as they are much, much more tedious and may not fit your standards). While the Tales of games are great, I'd skip all except for maybe Tales of Symphonia 1. Skip the later Final Fantasies as they are what you don't want. Skip J-MMORPGS altogether.

These aren't exactly rpgs, but you should also get your hands on Shadow of the Colossus and Okami. Both have the jrpg-adventuring exploration feel and are much much shorter than your real jrpg. They would both be a fantastic appetizer.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Batman said:
pps. eh I should have mentioned this earlier. I play on a pc, so unfortunately console and hand helds are out of the picture. Feel dumb for not stating this beforehand.

oooo that may make things difficult. Japan, where JRPGs originated from, and are still largely based in, is very console centric, and it's only been recently that a few of there PC games have been ported. but I can think of a few on steam (though none are "traditional" turn based battle systems),

Reccetear: An Item Shop Tale

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Chantelise

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70420/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Fortune Summoners

http://store.steampowered.com/app/203510/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Ys Origin

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207350/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Ys: The Oath in Felgahna

http://store.steampowered.com/app/207320/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

The First three are Easy Game Station games brought over by Carpe Fulgur. The last 2 are Falcom games brought over by X-Seed. Ironically X-Seed has been bringing there games over for awhile but porting them to PSP because the American JRPG market is so largely handheld based these days.

I have these and if you want to know more about them that you can't find on there steam pages let me know.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Fappy said:
I'll join, but I'll stay out of chat until I beat the game to avoid spoilers. I have had some stuff spoiled for me already DX
Oh dear.. how badly spoiled?

Because as long as you don't know who the killer is, you should still be able to enjoy the game to the fullest.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Batman said:
Ask and thou shalt receive... Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll try and give most of these games a try if I can manage to get them running. I've always assumed Xenoblade chronicles would be available for pc for some reason and most of these games seem to be console exclusive, (grr grr *shake fist*).
Ill probably try the persona games once I've finished the tales of symphonia.
Final Fantasy VII just got rereleased on PC

Slash Joel

Apr 7, 2011
chocolatekeith said:
Tales of symphonia is a popular one among many people new to JRPGs. Get that for your gamecube/wii (or emulate it if you have a ballin PC)
Tales series is great if u own a xbox 360 then Tales of Vesperia would also be a good starting point. Dont play Tales of the abyss until u hav either tales of Symphonia or vesperia under ur belt but Tales of the abyss is by far my favorite.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
neonsword13-ops said:
Fappy said:
Oh dear.. how badly spoiled?

Because as long as you don't know who the killer is, you should still be able to enjoy the game to the fullest.
It's just a few minor things. Nothing big... yet D:

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
The one and only JRPG you should play is Chrono Trigger. After that, if you like the concept of the genre, you can play some other recommendations. CT is a game I'd recommend to people who actively hate JRPGs, because it actually tells a story that's worth following, and nothing about it sucks. NOTHING.

Ok, I suppose the turn-based battle system is dated, but it still has some flavor by allowing combo attacks with two party members that are ready to be assigned actions.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I recommend the Disgaea games. The characters are usually funny and likable.

I also recommend Final Fantasy 9. Zidane is a rather cheerful protagonist, especially compared to the protagonists of the other PS1 FF games.