Wanted: Fallout 3 Tea Set

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Wanted: Fallout 3 Tea Set

Why are we so fascinated with the small, the plastic and the cute? Or in other words, gaming merchandise.

Read Full Article

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
See, these are the sort of predictions that interest me. That fellow that keeps telling us how Nintendo's HD Wii will conquer Sony has nothing on this guy. Clams to be used as money in the future? We need this information.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
come on lads and ladies we get the rights and we can make the hell out of the Fallout 3 tea set tm.

Lopunny

Apr 15, 2009
Im insane...at a recent anime convention i bought a GIANT catbus plushie from My Neighbour Totoro, A cuddly Urahara from Bleach and a giant cuddly Kirby...

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
i have a tat of a mem of the bro hood on my back.....in my dreams.......UNICORN POWER!!!

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
tendo82 said:
Why are we so fascinated with the small, the plastic and the cute? Or in other words, gaming merchandise.
They're not always useless - I bring my lunch in my Fallout 3 lunchbox almost every day :p

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Virgil said:
tendo82 said:
They're not always useless - I bring my lunch in my Fallout 3 lunchbox almost every day :p
Sir im am super jealous of your Fallout 3 lunchbox, im jus gonna go cry with jealousy

Erlec

Apr 14, 2009
It's very related to psychological side of things and wheter you love the franchise/game itself. I'm still very proud of the Sam & Max picture by Steve Purchell, I got by buying the season 2 of telltale games. I like it and won't trade it away. I think it's just one way of showing what you like to people without actully saying something.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
LimaBravo said:
Interestingly recently in the UK the Royal Mint bungled (Its first in 300 years) & neglected the date on 20,000 20 pence pieces. This makes these coins extremely valuable to collectors with one caveat. The Royal Mint will buy them back for £50 each (250 times there value) but collectors will pay more. Now if every person with one of these coins holds onto them they are worthless.

If there was 2 of these coins everyone would want one :D.

I just think that these computer game CE's are common as muck everyone I know has a Fallout lunchbox & a bobblehead &/or a BOS dude. Everyone I played with had the Age of Conan CE, nothing is truly rare these days :(

Mebbe apart from the Golden Magnate thing in EVE :D
There is some stuff that is actually valuable when it comes to gaming paraphernalia, but it's usually because there's only one of it and it was given to someone famous as an award or something. I can't remember where the article was, but there was one on the various figurines that people in the industry had. I included things like the first copy of a game, can't remember which one, still in the packaging, and a gold-plated slime figure from Dragon Warrior.

There are some statues that I would consider art, and if I could have afforded it, I would have wanted this [http://penny-arcade.com/2008/12/10/]. (you have to scroll down a bit)

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I don't think we need to worry about "evil corporate doings" just because some game companies want to sell miniatures to their fans. Merchandise feeds on symbolism, and in the eyes of a gamer, nothing is more symbolic their favorite video game character.

Sparrow Tag said:
The real question is, where can I get a Fallout 3 tea set?
Just buy a regular tea set; then set it on fire :)

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I have to agree that video game toys and the like are usually extremely tacky, especially when it comes to collecting them, and as collections they probably won't be worth much in the future, being simple of design and common in base materials.

However, I have come by my fair share over the years without looking for them in a store (usually someone else finds them second-hand and passes them over to me). They do make good ornaments for a gamer's room indistinguishable from the norm save for a very shiny PS3.

Merchandise isn't just a cynical industry either. There are many fans who go out of their way to make their own unofficial merchandise for a game. Fallout 3 is a suitable example of this craze. A simple search for the game title on deviantART will yield photographs of homemade Nuka-Cola bottles (with added blue lighting for Quantum) and bottlecap collections that take on a whole new meaning.

When this reproduction happens, it's a sign that a game has inspired the love of its fans to the point where they fanatically seek to extend the game world past the borders of the TV set and what they can buy in a toy store.

It's also obvious to game companies that this fan merchandise production functions as extra free advertising for the game, which is probably why we now see successful viral campaigns such as the GTAIV posters depicting Niko spread throughout real life New York City.

Calobi

Dec 29, 2007
HardRockSamurai said:
I don't think we need to worry about "evil corporate doings" just because some game companies want to sell miniatures to their fans. Merchandise feeds on symbolism, and in the eyes of a gamer, nothing is more symbolic their favorite video game character.

Sparrow Tag said:
The real question is, where can I get a Fallout 3 tea set?
Just buy a regular tea set; then set it on fire :)
You're a genius. TO THE TEA SHOP!