Wanting to use DS again, would like some help with games

Stripes

May 22, 2012
Im going to be travelling long distance a fair bit soon and I miss my Nintendo DS so I figured I'd start using it again. I might buy one or two of the proffesor Laytons, I loved the original, so would someone be able to tell me if they are worth getting and if so which of the two are best (also does it improve the story if they are played chronologically or are they all stand alone stories?). Im interested in buying a pokemon game because I loved them when I was younger and I think I would still appreciate them today, if anyone could tell me which would be best to get that would be a big help (also I heard they removed the elemental effectiveness system, could anyone tell me what has happened to that and how much of a difference the changes make?). Other than that could anyone suggest any other games which would be worth buying, I haven't played in years so my DS has gone unused for a long period of time, would this have any effect on it and will I need to change anything? also it is an origanal generation DS, will this be detrimental to its performance noticeably in anyway (including battery life) when contending with more recent tiles? Also I plan to buy roughly 2-4 games, one being a Proffesor Layton and another probably being a pokemon leaving room for two more at max, so could anyone list anything worth a look at? Thank you for your time and help.

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
I liked Touch the Dead. It's like $3 right now. Also the Advanced Wars games are really fun. Basically Fire Emblem but with tanks and shit. Also Fire Emblem. And the Dragon Quest games are pretty good, but I'd like them to port Dragon Quest 8.

EDIT: If you're getting Pokemon from nostalgia, get either HeartGold or SoulSilver. They've basically perfected it. Black and White has a few advantages over it though, like infinite TM use and Dream World.

Palfreyfish

Mar 18, 2011
FilipJPhry said:
I liked Touch the Dead. It's like $3 right now. Also the Advanced Wars games are really fun. Basically Fire Emblem but with tanks and shit. Also Fire Emblem. And the Dragon Quest games are pretty good, but I'd like them to port Dragon Quest 8.

EDIT: If you're getting Pokemon from nostalgia, get either HeartGold or SoulSilver. They've basically perfected it. Black and White has a few advantages over it though, like infinite TM use and Dream World.
I agree with the Pokemon recommendation. HeartGold and SoulSilver have been the two best Pokemon games by far. Black and White are pretty boring by comparison. The plot is dull and half the Pokemon are retarded. I'll also second the Ace Attorney games, they're really well written and generally hilarious.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
FilipJPhry said:

I agree on touch the dead, although it gets damn near impossible in later levels. And by the way, not sure where you live, but in england it's called dead 'n' furious.

As for other games, aliens infestation is a must have if you're an aliens fan, or even if you just like metroidvania style shooters in general. Mario kart DS is also good, being effectively a "best of" of the entire mario kart series, and soul bubbles is simply essential.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
I agree on touch the dead, although it gets damn near impossible in later levels. And by the way, not sure where you live, but in england it's called dead 'n' furious.
[/quote]

Living in Britain, mine is called Touch the Dead. Looking at it, its actually an american import.
Huh.How about that.

I barely got out of the actual prison, onto a beach or something. I am terrible at it.

OT: Orcs and Elves. A fun, retro style RPG which is short, but a lot of weapons and enemies. I loved it myself.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
It doesn't really matter if you get the Laytons in order, but there are a few things that carry on from game to game. So pandora's box and lost future are both great and you should get both.
Other than that, scribblenauts is fun and Dragon Quest IX is another great one. I recommend Scribblenauts primarily as you can do it in short bursts, so it's handy for travelling.

straymatter

May 1, 2012
Dragon Quest IX is a good one if you like customization, terrible puns and losing several weekends of your life.

(Which I do, evidently. A lot.)

Terratina.

RIP Escapist RP Board
May 24, 2012
The Mario & Luigi RPGs and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. Have fun!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
TizzytheTormentor said:
Devil Survivor 1+2, intricate and involving stories? Check, deep combat and customization systems? Check, challenging and rewarding? Check, easily two of the best games on the DS!

The World Ends With You has the best handheld combat systems ever made, the story, music and characters are very good.

Professor Layton is always fun, I also recommend the Ace Attorney series, heavily text based and funny, with excellently written cases, fun trials and involving characters.

I agree with tizzy here. But I'd like to add that The Devil Survivor games are Strategy RPGs in the vein of Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Shinning force, ect. But if you like games like that the Devil Survivor games are some of the best out there.