War for the Overworld

WriterX

Mar 21, 2008
Hello gents and ladies,

There is a new game coming up and about, and it's angry, very angry. So angry, it had to be kept underground, and now it's coming back up. *fanfares* World for the Overworld!

Right, the gist seems to be very much Dungeon Keeperish, but based on what I have seen in the Showcase, much more Dungeon Keeperish than any of the other games that attempted to become the next big DK game. They started their Kickstarter recently, and I feel they might be well under way of succeeding. Take a look for yourself:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/subterraneangames/war-for-the-overworld - War for the Overworld Kickstarter Page

https://wftogame.com/demo - War for the Overworld Showcase

So, what do you lot think?

Cheers,

WriterX

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
I got a question: what the hell is wrong with this people lately? i mean, dont you see that there are like 20 more Kickstarter games that are competing for founding right now? and there are 2 that are close to some of the old Bullfrog games, like Godus (Populous Remastering), and Maia (Dungeon Keeper and Dwarf Fortress in SPAAAAACE). How in the hell are we supposed to get money to pay for those 2 before the end of the year? (because the mayority ends in 30 days from now)

Game developers who want to make moral choice systems, here is a nice and sadistic choice example to take notes from.:

"You can only pay one of these Kickstarters and the others are sent to Development Hell"

Choose wisely.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Though I know WftO has been in production for roughly 3 years, it is only now stepping out of the shadows.

Having watched it for the majority of that time I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm really looking forward to seeing what it will become.

DioWallachia said:
"You can only pay one of these Kickstarters and the others are sent to Development Hell"
That is not entirely true, a far few people seem have donated to all 3 games. But yeah it does seem like interesting timing that all these Bullfrog inspired games are Kickstarting around the same time. Though I don't think any of these projects intention to launch at the same time. Since that kind of thing can, as you have said, divide people a bit.

I am a bit worried though since so far only Maia has actually made it to the its funded goal, and a lot of that was very much last minute help.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
here you will find familiar elements from Dungeon Keeper, Overlord, StarCraft and Evil Genius.
Familiar you say ... i'm listening.

In War for the Overworld you have the power to create vast dungeons filled with hordes of evil minions who share a common goal: to crush the bones of the goodly heroes that dare to enter your unhallowed halls.
Well you could say that's familiar....

You could say that's EXACTLY what you do in Dungeon Keeper....

I'm all for folks using Kickstarter to do new and exciting games but doing games i've already got isn't going to get me throwing my money at them.

It's just Dungeon Keeper with a new name.

But what's this...

"While an official Dungeon Keeper sequel seems unlikely, next year fans could have the next best thing - a game heavily inspired by the Bullfrog classic built by some of its biggest fans."
Taking inspiration from I can understand but copying it is a bit much.

A sequel is a progression of a series, this looks like 3 steps back.

Not usually one to piss all over a Kickstarter but i'm a massive Dungeon Keeper fan and knowing someone is getting funding to make a cheap knock off irritates me far more than it probably should....

Lenny Magic

Jan 23, 2009
WftO actually started out as a fan site's (Keeper Klan) attempt to make DK3. When they asked EA ( the owners of the DK licence) if they would be allowed to make and then release it free they got a "No". After trying to set up a negotiation with EA, and getting similar results, they started using words like "Inspired" it seems.

I don't know, though I'm probably quite bias having spent quite a few years following this project, but what they have shown so far looks really impressive. Subterranean seem to be really passionate about making a game that is as close to a Dungeon Keeper game as they can, and apparently they have even been in contact with a few of the original DK devs, and they have really liked what they saw.

simburgur

Mar 20, 2009
Hey folks, WFTO dev here.

As Lenny has said, we're massive Dungeon Keeper fans. We've been playing the originals for over a decade now and have no intention of creating a 'cheap knock off' or deviating too far, we want a true successor as much as you guys do. Our intention is to build on and improve the Dungeon Keeper formula.

Let me know if you've got any further questions, happy to answer them here or in our IRC (http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=WFTOGame).

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
"While an official Dungeon Keeper sequel seems unlikely, next year fans could have the next best thing - a game heavily inspired by the Bullfrog classic built by some of its biggest fans."
Taking inspiration from I can understand but copying it is a bit much.

A sequel is a progression of a series, this looks like 3 steps back.

Not usually one to piss all over a Kickstarter but i'm a massive Dungeon Keeper fan and knowing someone is getting funding to make a cheap knock off irritates me far more than it probably should....
What is wrong with you?
Seriously, the last Dungeon Keeper came out 13(!!!!) years ago. Now a bunch of people claim to love that game and want to make an unofficial sequel and you are pissed off, because it's not named Dungeon Keeper?!
You should be happy that there are people who want to make a dungeon keeper sequel, even if it's unofficial, i know that i am.
Keep up the work, guys!

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
It looks like Kickstarter was the solution for the revival of certain niche products, but unfortunately I saw about 4 different games that target the same niche - including this game. I'll see how it fares compared to the other 3 before I pick any of them up.

Lenny Magic

Jan 23, 2009
That is curious, at the moment I have only found only 2 games on kickstater that are in the God Game Genre (Project Godus and War for the Overworld) What are the other 2?

I would really like to know because I missed out on Maia, and given what I have heard that campaign came very close to failing.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Amaror said:
What is wrong with you?
Seriously, the last Dungeon Keeper came out 13(!!!!) years ago. Now a bunch of people claim to love that game and want to make an unofficial sequel and you are pissed off, because it's not named Dungeon Keeper?!
You should be happy that there are people who want to make a dungeon keeper sequel, even if it's unofficial, i know that i am.
Keep up the work, guys!
No, i'm pissed off because it IS Dungeon Keeper .... it's EXACTLY like Dungeon Keeper.

It's not an unofficial sequel it's bloody Dungeon Keeper remade.

Why the hell would I want to fund someone to make a game that looks, sounds and acts like a game I already own?

A Dungeon Keeper sequel I would be over the bloody moon for. A cheap and nasty knock off i'm not exactly rooting for.

Eeketh

Dec 13, 2012
Ummm...

A sequel IS the original remade, but with better graphics, new story, and possibly some different units and stuff...

In what way does that not apply to WFTO?