War Prime Sci-Fi Miniatures Come To Kickstarter

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
If they make good Imperial Guard esque models, I'll buy them and call them the Krieg Primaris VII regiment.

In all seriousness, if they make the models cheaper they won't be selling rulebooks but models, a lot more models. If they look sufficiently awesome and close enough to the source material then its not a stretch for modelers, players, adn fluff lovers to incorporate them in armies, and for a few armies there isn't anything GW can do.

Orks? Yeah those ork boyz riding the giant dinosaurs is legit.

Imperial guard? They are from a new world! Liek the Tanith, or Cadian, or Catachan.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Ftaghn To You Too said:
They're fine. It's an utterly unnewsworthy kickstarter, as dozens of people have done the exact same thing. Many, many companies, notably Mantic, make their money entirely through 40k proxies. It's a time honored tradition that has been repeatedly defended in court.
Did you know who or when? This seems a pretty clear violation of trademarks. I find it odd how often gamesworkshop sues people if they often loose the case.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
Raziel said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
They're fine. It's an utterly unnewsworthy kickstarter, as dozens of people have done the exact same thing. Many, many companies, notably Mantic, make their money entirely through 40k proxies. It's a time honored tradition that has been repeatedly defended in court.
Did you know who or when? This seems a pretty clear violation of trademarks. I find it odd how often gamesworkshop sues people if they often loose the case.
The one that stands out is GW vs. Chapterhouse Studios. Most of the claims came up in CH's favor, as it was decided that GW did not actually hold a trademark on how big pauldrons can be, or on selling miniatures called "Space Marines". Some things GW did win, like individual characters that CH was selling, and power fists, coming out to about a third of the total claims. However, the underlying shapes and sizes of the miniatures, and especially the shoulder pads because where would we be without shoulderpads in 40k, are perfectly allowed to be used by competitors. You can even use some trademarked terms while advertising.

GW got $25,000 out of the deal due to claims they actually won, but that legal precedent stands. All of this happened some time last year.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Could be decent, but my interest hinges on:
1. Are the rules both good and comprehensible without years of study?
2. Are the models customizable and fun to build like Wh40k?
3. Is it interesting enough to convince my friends to switch over with me?

If it can pull off those then "40K but cheaper" certainly has appeal to it.

Kahohess

Sep 12, 2011
Those prototypes are damn ugly, even if the 3D sculpts seems ok i'm not really going to look after that kickstarter. i can't feel "the spark" to be honest.

Aug 31, 2012
Not really interested in many of those, maybe the guard models. Good luck though, there are plenty of small "not 40k, honest" miniatures companies out there but it's only really Mantic that manage to do them much cheaper and Mantic played it safer with their "space marine" faction.

As far as the rules goes, while they are free, GW has the visible and comparatively accesible shops to go and play in (I think there was a good point in one of the DnD podcasts about WoTC taking steps to foster a community of players and give them places to meet up and play and I think that's all the more relevant here) whereas this is going to be just another small competing game system in a FLGS that already has the likes of Warmachine, Infinity and GW's stuff to compete with. Warmachine's done well by being it's own thing, it looks distinct from 40K and from what I'm told is a smaller skirmish game that plays differently and Infinity at least ripped off Masamune Shirow for it's look. I don't think people will be playing War Prime, they'll be playing 40K with their mini's.

Raziel said:
http://apocalypse40k.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/chapterhouse-vs-games-workshop-update.html

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/06/legalwatch-games-workshop-vs_14.html

Some info. IIRC they also lost the rights to tyranid spore mines and the doom of malantai because they hadn't made models for them (at least since the early 90's in the case of spore mines) and other companies filled the gap.

Also, if Scibor Miniatures can get away with it for all these years then I think these guys will be fine. Seriously, have a look and tell me those aren't Space Wolves, Dark Angels etc.

Not to mention Raging Heroes who's business seems to be "Do Warhammer's female models wear too much clothing for your tastes? Well do we have the product for you!"

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
el_kabong said:
Can't wait to pit my army of totally-not-space-marines against the armies of totally-not-Orks and totes-not-Eldar.
I think I saw some definitely-not-necrons and tau-what-are-those in the video as well.

OT: I'm slightly conflicted about this. On one hand, good on them for making a more affordable 40k alternative, but on the other hand they seem to have ripped off 40k whole-hog in the process. I know 40k isn't the most original thing in the world, but this game only hurts itself by being so outwardly similar. It would have been much more advantageous to make a more original setting.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Risingblade said:
Meh,I Kinda just want to get them so I can paint them but that would seem like a waste.
Hey, there's nothing wrong with this. There are people who don't play these games at all, but have a business painting models - or just do it for fun! It's hours of hobby time.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I actually own a WH40K starter pack (Space Marines and Orks) that I didn't really get around to paint and whatnot. I probably wouldn't get around to doing that with these, either, but I'd really love to just combine the models into one Space Marine army. They are so obviously, erm, inspired by WH40K that I think they might be quite nicely compatible.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
For those of you who don't get the joke here. They are suppose to look like 'Not Space Marines' because Games Workshop has pretty bad business practices and charges too much fro their products. IT is actually pretty hard and intimidating for people with lower incomes to get into warhammer. I hope this project succeeds but he will probably be sued by GW who think they own the word Space and Marine and anything that looks similar to it.

epicdwarf

Apr 9, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Warhammer 40K is built on homages, appropriations, and downright ripoffs. It just has twenty years of lore built up.
There is a difference between homage and literally making an almost carbon copy of someone else's product. Example: Fortresscraft

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Looking at the artwork I smell a GW lawsuit coming in 3, 2...
If not GW, Blizzard may or even Privateer Press, some of those armies where ripoffs of different ones already established (I know there can only be so many iteration or "new ideas" but jeez) Good luck I guess but this is becoming rather over saturated with companies like Anvil Industries making figures and there own game.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Relevant: It has been cancelled.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericsexton/war-prime-tabletop-miniatures/posts/893862