Warcraft Movie Teaser Trailer Wows at Comic-Con

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Rattja said:
Im still a bit confused, it's supposed to be live action and CGI mixed together?

I don't understand why they don't just go all CGI. They can do a lot more with it and it looks more then good enough.
I mean, compare their stuff to say something like Frozen, it really should not be a problem for anyone to go watch that.
Other then the actual style, there is not much different between what Blizzard animates and what Pixar does, so what gives?

Hell, I still think the animation in Spirit Within and Advent children is amazing and holds up. I would really like to see more movies made like that, but people don't seem to wanna make them..

Same goes for roboscoped movies I guess, only two big ones that I know of.

Animation is not quite good enough to blend perfectly with live action just yet so I'd say either do one or the other, not both.
I guess it's just that they're really, really fucking time consuming and difficult to make. Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do. Cartoony ones like pixar are obviously easier to make because they're not as graphically intense, but they're still difficult for smaller studios to make without them looking like arse, and intense ones like Advent Children and Spirits Within are likely to be beyond the skill of most studios, which again, would cause them to look like arse.

I mean just look at Beware the Batman or Green Lantern or Gormiti Nature unleashed, the cgi in those shows look like they were made for a beginner university project, characters are lifeless and stiff when they move, there's no detail to anything, environments are boxy and empty, lighting seems to be a concept alien to them, as does the notion that when people talk, they do more than flap their mouth up and down like a dummy. For DC it's even worse, as they should've learned their lesson when they made that dodgy CGI opening to Justice League for no apparent reason than they could.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Smilomaniac said:
I don't get why these teasers aren't publicly available. Are these secret and exclusive stunts somehow supposed to hype me?

Halyah said:
Ferisar said:
But at least Chris Metzen is still a person. (Don't you worry, I'll always be in these topics, reminding you of the greatest human being to have ever voice-acted the entire collection of fresh toast. GREETINGS, FRIEND!)

OT:
Yeah this is like, a logo, yo. I'm so excited.

:p
I find his voice acting to be overrated and mediocre at best, utter bullocks at worst. :p
I do believe there was a measure of sarcasm in his post.

He's been widely criticized for his voiceacting (not in the least of his voice acting coach), but the way I see it, it just means that he's engaged in what he does, which is significantly more than most people in similar positions do.
This goes way back to the classic games, where it wasn't only Samwise Didier that did the concept art, but Metzen made a few pieces as well (while nowhere as great, they were gritty and gave you a good idea of what he thought Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft were about).

I don't like his rockstar persona either, but I'd rather have him than the business minded assholes we see in almost all other game companies.
Yep, I just love poking fun at him in these threads because it always happens when anything WC-related comes up, he's complaining and I'm enjoying myself :p

I'll take passion-driven camp over business-minded mediocrity. It can contested all day as to how deserving Metzen is based on that, but I frankly couldn't give much of a shit for it. I'm still playing their games, that's good enough for me.

EDIT: Also worth noting, I view him as a spokesperson for their studio, and it works just fine. I'm well aware that Blizzard isn't composed of Chris Metzen sitting at his house in Pajamas making the next WoW expansion by himself, drinking away the sadness of Pardo and Ghostcrawler leaving to make ten thousand Teemo skins.

SQUIRE, ATTEND ME!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err why did they went with the Starcraft font and styling? Well that what it had remind me of!

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Halyah said:
elvor0 said:
Halyah said:
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah if there's one thing Warcraft needs less of, it's zaniness. Granted it could just look that way because Blizzard has never handled it very well in WoW.
Well I'm not saying the film would be whacky, I'm just saying he personally would be a bit zany, being Bowies son, which sould afford him not to do what I suspect a lot of directors would do; just make it a straight up "Good vs Evil" film and give it that certain..."Warcraft" feel, to stop it from being a generic fantasy flick. Besides, it's not like the zanieness has ever been apparent in the main story, just the off and side quests. It's had silly elements since warcraft 2, which means it's had them longer than it hasn't at this point.
Silly elements is one thing. Making good use of them is a different story. Blizzards 'professional' writers are not good at it.
Such as? Is this about Pandaria?

And really, professional doesn't mean you have to be good at it, just means you get paid to do it.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
elvor0 said:
Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do
Forgive me for being stupid here, but isn't that exactly the possision Blizzard is in? I don't really see the diffrence.
It would just be the Mist of Pandaria trailer, just more of it.

It's a shame there are so few full length movies like this though. I get that they are expencive, but in my opinion it's worth it.
I mean it's close to real, but not quite. Everything that happens feels like it belongs because there is no such thing as a prop or a special effect (well kinda but you know what I mean). You can't sit there and point out the green screen or wonder how strange it must be to act with something you can't see.

I don't know, it just feels better with full CGI for me at least. Maybe it's because I am used to them using it in their games, and suddenly seeing a real actor trying to mimmic that would just look like cosplay.
We'll see once it's done, whenever that is.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Rattja said:
elvor0 said:
Square did it because they make video games, and everything involved in their films was just more of what they already do
Forgive me for being stupid here, but isn't that exactly the possision Blizzard is in? I don't really see the diffrence.
It would just be the Mist of Pandaria trailer, just more of it.

It's a shame there are so few full length movies like this though. I get that they are expencive, but in my opinion it's worth it.
I mean it's close to real, but not quite. Everything that happens feels like it belongs because there is no such thing as a prop or a special effect (well kinda but you know what I mean). You can't sit there and point out the green screen or wonder how strange it must be to act with something you can't see.

I don't know, it just feels better with full CGI for me at least. Maybe it's because I am used to them using it in their games, and suddenly seeing a real actor trying to mimmic that would just look like cosplay.
We'll see once it's done, whenever that is.
Ah I was more referring to where you said " I dunno why people don't make them more often" :) Not sure if you meant Blizzard or just in general, was assuming in general. But then I don't think Blizzard could afford the manpower to make a movie, they've got games to do and people give them enough flak for the tiniest of things ><

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Halyah said:
elvor0 said:
Halyah said:
elvor0 said:
Halyah said:
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah if there's one thing Warcraft needs less of, it's zaniness. Granted it could just look that way because Blizzard has never handled it very well in WoW.
Well I'm not saying the film would be whacky, I'm just saying he personally would be a bit zany, being Bowies son, which sould afford him not to do what I suspect a lot of directors would do; just make it a straight up "Good vs Evil" film and give it that certain..."Warcraft" feel, to stop it from being a generic fantasy flick. Besides, it's not like the zanieness has ever been apparent in the main story, just the off and side quests. It's had silly elements since warcraft 2, which means it's had them longer than it hasn't at this point.
Silly elements is one thing. Making good use of them is a different story. Blizzards 'professional' writers are not good at it.
Such as? Is this about Pandaria?

And really, professional doesn't mean you have to be good at it, just means you get paid to do it.
Not sure why you brought up pandaland specifically, but I've generally found most silly stuff done by Blizzard to be pretty badly done. Maybe this is culture clash or maybe they're just that crappy at it. I don't know.

Yeah Blizzard has taught me that lesson quite well. Especially when their level of quality can be outdone by fanfic writers of all things.
Well Pandaria is usually the thing people complain about when they complain about things being silly, despite them really...really not being so(Seriously, gnomes, Space Goats and Tauren are fine, but Pandas are silly? C'mon, The Shadow Pan are grumpier than Batman).

But now I see where you're coming from, you don't like the stuff that is actually /meant/ to be silly which is just like...totally your opinion man, which I respect, it's a fair enough position to have, I would say however, lighten up a little as it's only a little fun, not everything needs to be serious.

I will however agree as a one that comes straight to mind, the Harrison Jones quest chain in Uldum. Yeah Harrison Jones is funny as an npc for a smile inducing reference, but playing through the entirety of Raiders of the Lost Ark was waaaay to far, I did really enjoy, but they could've kept it to one or two quests, not stretched it over the entire zone.

For your point about writing though, yeah okay, some of the dialogue is a bit wooden and there's some inconsistancies and anomolies, but then for something that grown from Warcraft 1, a game made up of bits of furious scribblings on the toilet, warhammer lore, and whatever Metzen and Samwize thought up while they were stoned, those things are to be expected. Comics made that transition too. I'm not saying the writing is top notch, because it certainly isn't, but it's certainly better than a lot of games, and they have made (at least to me) a highly engaing universe, where I can spend hours reading the wiki, short stories and digging for lore, I'd say the sheer amount of lore could've even eclipsed Tolkein at this point.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I have faith that this movie will be great with so many good people at the helm.

Also for those uninformed this movie will take place during the First War (Warcraft 1) so expect to see: Anduin Lothar, Medivh (opening Dark Portal), Gul'dan, Garona, Orgrim Doomhammer, Blackhand, Durotan to name a few.

I really hope that this movie is successful so they can make the second movie about the second war (which is way better from a "war" standpoint..battle at Blackrock, Turalyon&Alleria etc).

There are so many arcs that they can make movies out I'm just getting giddy thinking about the possibilities.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Halyah said:
Med'an is essentially retconned. They have no plans to ever put him into the game as far as we are aware, probably because he's the biggest Mary Sue that has ever existed (and I won't be blaming Metzen for that, the writing of that comic went completely batshit half-way through). That's the problem of having outsourced novels and works that use your lore, you're bound to have stuff that just isn't that good. (Don't forget Cycles of Hatred is still a book, my god.)

Until they use Med'an, I'm mostly fine with what's happening. I'm also quite happy with the roster they've pulled up for WoD so far, having played some of the beta. Khadgar is awesome.

Either way, we'll see where it all goes.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
If people actually still expect Warcraft lore to be anything besides Rule of Cool, I think you might be in for a disappointment.
I like Warcraft's lore, or hell, even Blizzard's lore in any of it's games, because it doesn't take it's self too seriously.
They know the lore is there to flesh out the game, not the other way around. It's suppose to be hammy, it's suppose to be cliché and it's suppose to be paper thin.

One of the best things I remember was a reply from a Blue Poster (someone that works for Blizzard) on a Lore question.
I don't recall the details, but I remember that the question was something very specific about how fire magic magic worked underwater or whatnot.
And the Blue Poster replied with something along the lines of "You sometimes receive dragon mounts in your mail, yet you're pissed off as to why mages can cast fireball underwater?"

Warcraft lore is to me like Dragonball Z, it's never going to win any awards, it has moments that make you go "...uughh.."
But then there are also moments that make you go "FUCK YEAH, that's awesome!" "Did he just punch a dragon!" "I'm using a grapple to jump from dragon to dragon punching off the riders!" "FOR THE HORDE!"