Warframe Update Pumps Up the Space Ninja Action

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Warframe Update Pumps Up the Space Ninja Action

The Shadows of the Dead update brings new Warframes and mission types to the F2P shooter.

It's hard to fault Digital Extreme's F2P action game Warframe for a lack of imagination. Ancient space ninjas awaken from cryogenic sleep to do battle against enemies using robotic suits. Oh, and you can shoot out the windows and die in a vacuum, which more games should allow. Now, Update 10, entitled Shadows of the Dead, is adding more stuff to slice and dice. It will include two new Warframes for players to try, new mission types, and new space ninja gear to wield.

The most interesting new addition is the Nekros, a necromancer Warframe. He comes with an ability called Soul Punch, which hits so hard it "turns your enemy's soul in a deadly projectile", which really ought to appear on the parental warning label. Another notable ability is entitled Shadows of the Dead, which summons the spirits of those who you've slain to fight for you, leading to some interesting strategy options. There's also a new Mag Prime Warframe to find as well, which should take the normal Mag and amp it up a bit. The update also brings new gear to the table, including infested weapons that look as unsanitary as they are deadly. Twenty new weapon mods will be included as well, along with a new armory UI to help you sort through it all.

Interested players can test their new Warframes out in the new survival missions. The goal is to survive for five minutes. Instead of simply using a timer, players will have to fight for oxygen, collecting air tanks off of their fallen enemies. If that seems too mundane, you can try your hand against your fellow Tenno in the smaller-scale Conclave PvP battles.

A complete list of the additions and changes can be found [a href=https://warframe.com/news/update-10-shadows-dead]here[/a].

Source: [a href=https://warframe.com/news/update-10-shadows-dead]Digital Extreme[/a]

Guiltyone

May 10, 2013
Without sounding too dramatic, let me just say this: that new Derelict Orokin Ship tileset is one of the most inspired, creative and overall amazing examples of level design I've ever seen.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Guiltyone said:
Without sounding too dramatic, let me just say this: that new Derelict Orokin Ship tileset is one of the most inspired, creative and overall amazing examples of level design I've ever seen.
I really liked the new j2000 Golem boss fight. All the previous boss fights were just slightly better than average mobs you'd find in any map but they obviously put a lot of effort into making something unique. 2 1/2 days left til my Nekros is finished building!

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
One thing based on the original Dark Sector trailer that I would have liked to see in this game (we wont now since it would take it into another direction) would be a more "behind enemy lines/do as you want" feel, something like instead of the tiles system being used to create a linear path for the objective something more like using it to create a open enviorment (like a complete spaceship) where the player would have to use a map, and maybe sneaking if he wanted, to complete the objectives.

Basicly Warframe is missing that first part of the trailer where he just wanders around silently through the ship.
They would also need to make the AI feel like they are actually doing usefull shit for the ship and living there instead of simply patrolling small spaces.

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
I like in how much this game evolves overtime, and how much they listen to the opinions of the design council/players. We have weapons and warframes suggestions that have been added to the game, planetside maps, changes to existing enviroments, gametypes etc. The only thing i dont like is how PvP is being implamented into the game, personaly i think it´s waste of time that they could have spent on the game itself, not a big fan of PvP when the game excel in PvE.
But also one more point of how much they listen to the players, seeing at first they announced that there werent gonna be any PvP, but players demanded and player got PvP arenas in this patch.

One more point of how much has changed is when i started playing over 6-7months ago, sure it was closed beta back then, but it was just about 10 primay weapons, 7-8pistols and about 7-8 melee weapons. There were just two different type of maps and about 3-5 different type of enemies for each faction. Now they have tripled the amount of weapons if not more, the grineer and corpus have alot more variation in enemy types.

This patch had a AWESOME boss fight compared to the rest, just hope they give a higher lvl variant of him, and more similar in the future when designing bosses. And i love how the new enviroment looks. But i am abit sad that there arent more infested mob variants, sure they changed how crawlers look and they move alot faster. But seeing how much the grineer have changed in reacent patches i hoped there would be more infected variants, as this patch is kinda based around infestation.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Awesome sauce

One thing I'm missing from the game is actual stealth missions - calling it "space ninjas" and then have it be 99% run&gun imo misses the point on the whole ninja bit.

Sure, some warframes are better suited for stealth than others - but then again the stealth frames are more squishy and might have trouble in the more intense firefights on the new survival missions and the good old defence/mobile defence missions.

Stealth missions - just saying

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
webkilla said:
Awesome sauce

One thing I'm missing from the game is actual stealth missions - calling it "space ninjas" and then have it be 99% run&gun imo misses the point on the whole ninja bit.

Sure, some warframes are better suited for stealth than others - but then again the stealth frames are more squishy and might have trouble in the more intense firefights on the new survival missions and the good old defence/mobile defence missions.

Stealth missions - just saying
Aah,but EVERY mission is a stealth mission. You simply have to treat it as such. I've successfully stealth'd my way to Nef Anyo about a dozen times,between my Nyx and Loki. Sure,there's no reward to it beyond being sneaky,but it's fun!

As for the update itself,amazing. Simply amazing. Didn't get to the derelicts yet,but the Dojo Research kit looks pretty damn slick. Guess I'll be farming on Phobos for a while.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It was a big improvement in terms of UI.
I only recently found out how to access the Orokin Derelicts, but haven't made any attempts yet because...well, grind. :\
Always gotta grind something...

Apart from that, I was tickled to learn that there are several new Glaive mods.
Not looking forward to farming them though; only Corrupted dropped them and Tower Raids have been replaced with the seemingly, much less rewarding Survival.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
note: soul punch throws your target really, really far

after they reversed the stamina changes, all was fine in the world

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Nice, too bad it'll be some weeks before anyone without some money to just toss out can access any of the new goodies the game has to offer due to ludicrous price scaling of stuff that isn't just cosmetic.