Wargaming Board Building Question

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
I think I've fucked up a bit with my flocking. I used a PVA/Water mix to attach it initially, sprayed from a spray bottle, but it still seems really loose. I've put another layer of the same mix on top as a sealent (after knocking the excess flock off) and am currently hoping that this will help, but I'm waiting for it to dry.

I think the problem might be that I sprayed too fine a layer to glue it on, and I what I want to know is this: Is there some way to fix this issue, like a few layers of PVA to seal it, or have I buggered up completely and need to start again?

I know I've made an arse of myself but in my defence it's the first time I've done flocking.

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
PVA/Water is great, but won't hold forever. It sticks, but loses moisture and will eventually fall off. What you need to do is close that shit right up with a matte sealer.

Something like this [http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-6-Ounce-Craft-Acrylic-Aerosol/dp/B000XZXNU6] will do it. I have not used that brand but it's the first that came up in a google search.

Ambitiousmould

Apr 22, 2012
JonB said:
PVA/Water is great, but won't hold forever. It sticks, but loses moisture and will eventually fall off. What you need to do is close that shit right up with a matte sealer.

Something like this [http://www.amazon.com/Plaid-6-Ounce-Craft-Acrylic-Aerosol/dp/B000XZXNU6] will do it. I have not used that brand but it's the first that came up in a google search.
I've spent about 3 weeks looking at basically nothing except how to flock and not one of the sources told me about this. I'd literally never even heard of it.

Cheers, you've saved me a lot of frustration.

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
ambitiousmould said:
I've spent about 3 weeks looking at basically nothing except how to flock and not one of the sources told me about this. I'd literally never even heard of it.

Cheers, you've saved me a lot of frustration.
Oh, the cheap, nasty, and incredibly dangerous solution if you ain't got any money is a quick hit of hairspray. Do not do this, though because now your model is incredibly flammable and has a reactive chemical that might get weird with any plastics or paints you add in the future.

But it does work. But don't do it.

Ambitiousmould

Apr 22, 2012
JonB said:
Oh, the cheap, nasty, and incredibly dangerous solution if you ain't got any money is a quick hit of hairspray. Do not do this, though because now your model is incredibly flammable and has a reactive chemical that might get weird with any plastics or paints you add in the future.

But it does work. But don't do it.
Holy shit, thank fuck you said that because I've heard of the hairspray thing and I was literally sitting here looking at a can of it thinking, "maybe I ought to give that a go".

Glad I didn't go down that ginnel.

JonB

Sep 16, 2012
I once had a friend spray some cheap, off brand miniatures bases with hairspray and they just straight-up melted. Aerosols have some weird petroleum byproducts in them that'll happily combine with certain plastics to form a more stable solution closer to crude oil, their original form!

<image src=https://media3.giphy.com/media/Y2nbrJyAR6RiM/200_s.gif>

But hell, we were poor students and couldn't afford proper sealant. It worked at the time. I'd never do it now that I've taken college chemistry, though.

Ambitiousmould

Apr 22, 2012
One of my friends once left an Imperial Guard in some surgical spirit to strip the paint. The next morning we found what was basically a stringy bit of nothing in a pot.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
JonB said:
I once had a friend spray some cheap, off brand miniatures bases with hairspray and they just straight-up melted. Aerosols have some weird petroleum byproducts in them that'll happily combine with certain plastics to form a more stable solution closer to crude oil, their original form!
Hairspray is a long chain polymer, can be PVA with side chains modifying the function, that requires plasticizers to keep them liquid. Those plasticizers will hit the hydrogen bonds that keep chains locked together as long they have the amide functional group.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
One of my friends once left an Imperial Guard in some surgical spirit to strip the paint. The next morning we found what was basically a stringy bit of nothing in a pot.
I used to use that method to strip paint off metal models. Metal ones only, though. Nail polish remover works well too - overnight in a mug of the stuff, then rinse well with water and use an old toothbrush to clean out the concave bits. Not sure what the method is now that everything is either plastic or resin.