Warhammer 40,000 MMO

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
I don't know if anyone is looking forward to this MMO on the Escapist, but it's been announced for I think more than a year now. I also have no knowledge if any of you have been checking the official website at Vigil Games (Creators of Darksiders), but after a year of no updates, I was in despair. Until just a day ago, they added a picture on there. Just one picture, nothing else.

It might be so little, but it shows they have not at least given up!

Who here is looking forward to the 40,000 MMO?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Every moment of my life until its release is but a pale shade.

Also, got a link to this picture?

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Just go to www.vigilgames.com

You should be able to direct yourself from there.

Like I said, it's not much, but it's new!

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
Every moment of my life until its release is but a pale shade.

Also, got a link to this picture?
This.

I'm looking forward to joining the Inquisition and smiting evil with rightous fury of the Emperor.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
MMO kill single player games. Do you honestly think they will make another Warcraft RTS, when they can just launch more expansions for WoW?

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008

Is this OPs pic?

That looks aright, I can't make a judgement based on that alone, but if I had to I'd say this game could combine space travel and combat will on the ground third person action. A combination I really like the sound of, especially considering it's 40K and thus must be epic.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
Wasnt the other Warhammer MMO a complete trainwreck?
Initially it did well, but in recent times due to recession the user base has been quickly eroded. But it did get some decent reviews, for what thats worth.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
A lot of things can go wrong, but a lot of things can go right...that's the recipe for everything in the world of gaming my friends. They also told as there will be massive battlefield combat, highly customizable characters (armor, weapons, etc.) and space hulks! SPACE HULKS!

Oh, and the Warhammer Fantasy MMO isn't that bad. It did a lot of things right...

Yet again, this is being developed by a totally different team and name. Plus, Warhammer Fantasy does not have Bolters. =P

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
I must say, i'll only play if the follwing criteria are met:

- I can play as Tyranids, or they feature as a main enemy (I love my Hive)
- They do not rape canon to balance units, there are legitimate ways to achieve victory without doing so, many of them discussed here on the escapist.
- I join up with an army of my faction (The Great Devourer Has No Warcry, Only The Drumbeat Of It's Legion's Claws) and fight another army... and consume the dead.
- Individual race mechanics and roles

If these are met, I will never stop playing this game. Ever.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
Wasnt the other Warhammer MMO a complete trainwreck?
Kinda.

It wasn't done right at all. The end game doesn't work, in ways other than 'buggy' and the PVE is a tiresome bore. The only thing that was decent about it was the PVP from 1-40, and even then it's just O.K.

It's better than the PVP found in WoW though.

The problem with WAR was that it tried too hard to use a formula that worked while trying to change the formula enough to make it seem fresh. It didn't work.

Instead, they took what made the formula in DAoC work and removed the essential bit. Here's a break down.

In DAoC owning keeps resulted in having control of the best dungeon in the game which had the best loot. You could then route the enemies out of the dungeon and own it. The END end game consisted of owning relics which gave passive bonuses to your realm while being INSANE bragging rights.

In WAR owning keeps resulted in having control of class specific loot which was pretty terrible. If your side owns enough of the keeps, and owns the majority of the territory, you can attack their keep which... is pretty boring and not very fun.

The difference between this, though, is that instead of defending your keeps like you would in DAoC, you just run to the other keep in the zone, or to another zone, and take the keeps there. So, it just cycles over and over and over and it's pretty boring.

Now, if they had made the game more about action and less about metagaming then it would have been fun.

That isn't to say that the combat isn't fun... it's just that the end game is terrible and consists of the worst required metagaming I've ever seen.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
I must say, i'll only play if the follwing criteria are met:

- I can play as Tyranids, or they feature as a main enemy (I love my Hive)
- They do not rape canon to balance units, there are legitimate ways to achieve victory without doing so, many of them discussed here on the escapist.
- I join up with an army of my faction (The Great Devourer Has No Warcry, Only The Drumbeat Of It's Legion's Claws) and fight another army... and consume the dead.
- Individual race mechanics and roles

If these are met, I will never stop playing this game. Ever.
They said they'll be doing the 7 main races of the game justice. Add that up and see if Nids fit in there.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
LogicNProportion said:
They said they'll be doing the 7 main races of the game justice. Add that up and see if Nids fit in there.
- Imperium
- Chaos
- Eldar
- Tau
- Orks
- Necrons
- Tyranids

If they want more than one Imperium faction, or to include Dark Eldar, then perhaps the Necrons and Nids would be dropped to make room. I's say Necrons would be made NPC's before the Nids, as the appeal of their Canon is in the mystery and lack of individuality (what do you train in, more advanced lockstep marching?). Nids are a highly mutable and charismatic race with very little canon-boundaries, the only problem being a lack of individual thought (You can train, however, in a billion different biological upgrades).

So I think Nids have a shot, the Necrons will go before they do, and with any luck you'll be able to play as all Seven I listed there. If I had my way, though, Tau would be critters you killed for fun as you walked by, them squealing like the little girls they are as you stomp them flat. And eat them.

Look, I just want to emerge from the spawning pool as a Genestealer and spend the next 4 hours laughing my ass of before I even start playing again. You know you want it.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
Well, I would play this for days straight if:
1) I can play as Thousand Sons (Tzeentch Forces)
2) I can have their spells.
3) I CAN PLAY AS AHRIMAN.

Because if I can play as Ahriman or hell, even Lucius the Eternal (Especially if they keep him the way his history goes.) I will play this forever.

Sexy.EXE

Apr 18, 2009
I hope that I will be able to at the least look like a Death Korp of Krieg. If not just a scout with a shotgun. The only other MMOs I am looking forward to besides this one is The Old Republic and Global Agenda.