Warhammer 40,000 MMO

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
bodyklok said:
Ultrajoe said:
- Imperium
Just to clarify, does that mean Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Witch Hunters, and Demon Hunters?
I don't think Ordo's Malleus, Hereticus or Xeno will be playable, and in my dream game you go from guardsman to marine as you are recognized for your valour and contributions. In my dream game, all races progress like this, branching into sub-classes as per your choice.

Please Select:
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Please Select
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Stop Wanking And Select, Damnit

EDIT: To clarify, one of the impeium options would be 'More Badass Guardsman', for you people who don't like the Idea of going marine.

Sexy.EXE

Apr 18, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
bodyklok said:
Ultrajoe said:
- Imperium
Just to clarify, does that mean Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Witch Hunters, and Demon Hunters?
I don't think Ordo's Malleus, Hereticus or Xeno will be playable, and in my dream game you go from guardsman to marine as you are recognized for your valour and contributions. In my dream game, all races progress like this, branching into sub-classes as per your choice.

Please Select:
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Please Select
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Which one would you pick Joe? I'd take a shot at the lictor.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Guardsman can't become Space Marines. Marines have to be recruited and started being made at the age of their early teens, or else their body rejects the implants and basically dies a death covered in his own terror and waste.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
LogicNProportion said:
Guardsman can't become Space Marines. Marines have to be recruited and started being made at the age of their early teens, or else their body rejects the implants and basically dies a death covered in his own terror and waste.
I'm quite aware of the canon, i'm suggesting you start as a young guardsman, aged 16-17, drafted to fight some local threat (Read: Starting zone)

The novel 'Descent of Angels' shows that up to the age of 18-20 you are viable for Space Marinery.

Sexy.EXE said:
Which one would you pick Joe? I'd take a shot at the lictor.
Ravener, baby, because moving fast, having 6 scythes for arms, burrowing under enemy lines and screaming to fire weapons from in your throat is what dreams are made of.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Well, BL publishing isn't always canon. Anything written by Ben Counter pretty much means you're reading false facts. I believe Descent of Angels was written by Graham McNeil, however, and he's usually good...so that's odd.

Anyway, I suppose being drafted at a young age could work. I do indeed wish there is a choice whether you can stay as a guardsman or become a Marine though.

Space Marines will always win in my book...but I also admire the Stormtroopers. Hellguns are SHINY!

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
bodyklok said:
Ultrajoe said:
- Imperium
I always thought that this would be the best method of class advancement in a 4Ok MMO, especially for races like humans and chaos. But I don't think it would work as well for the Necrons, i.e. I don't think normal Necron warriors can be promoted to destroyers or immortals, regardless of how well they have performed.
Ultrajoe said:
Please Select:
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Please Select
- Lictor
- Warrior
- Ravener

Wait... What?
LogicNProportion said:
Hey, just because there in the imperial guard, doesn't mean their adults. As I understand it the Imperium of Man is quite conscript happy, and they tend not to discriminate ageist age.

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
bodyklok said:
Nmil-ek said:
Wasnt the other Warhammer MMO a complete trainwreck?
Initially it did well, but in recent times due to recession the user base has been quickly eroded. But it did get some decent reviews, for what thats worth.
Awwwwwwww.....

I haven't opened my copy yet. *sob*

gunbladejoe

Jun 4, 2008
never played warhammer. played WoW. I did want to try warhammer but meh crappy comp. and I only played WoW on a freinds comp. but I played a free version him and his cousin downloaded which made EXP easy to get and drops EXTREMELY easy to get so it wasnt all that great.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
I'm fine with that method of progression on one condition: Aspect Warriors. For the Eldar faction I want the option to advance and become any of the different Aspect Warriors mentioned in canon. Hell, I want the option to be an Autarch and just criss-cross as many skills and pieces of equipment from the different aspects as I damn well please.

If in you're view of things a Marine or a "more badass guardsman" (i.e. a stormtrooper) are natural progression in the Imperial track than the Aspects should be the same for the Eldar. I swear, if at launch I don't have the option of teleporting back and forth as a Warp Spider there will be hell to pay...

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Nmil-ek said:
Wasnt the other Warhammer MMO a complete trainwreck?
TBF only because it sat itself in square contention with WoW for title of fantasiest money-hole. If a WH40K MMO had been in that MMO's shoes, things could concievably have gone MUCH differently.

Like when two similar movies get close release dates on the offchance that people will go to both *shakes head* no kind of market position for an MMO, as long as WoW was around, the lions share of "Fantasy MMO" was spoken for.

Of course, there are plenty of fantasy MMO choices out there, and all of them have players, so to some degree they are all successes. :)

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
they are saying that this game will be more of a mix of FPS than RPG, however they have made it clear that this game is first and for most an RPG... it is rather confusing as in how exactly that works, but that is their statement on the matter.

mechanics like shooting, taking cover, sniping, laying down supressive fire with heavy bolters and the such will be in the game which make it sound like an FPS, but stating that it is an RPG (thinking dice rolls) i'm not sure how it world work

as for the factions

all 7 faction seen in the table top will be seen, but it is more than likely only a handful will be playable. more than likely you'll be only able to play as space marines, eldar, chaos space marines, and maybe tau. every other race will be relegated to being an NPC fodder unit.

to me, i don't think this will be very successful, this game is supposed to be a squad based shooter on epic scale... not a grindtastic rpg.

if they made this an MMOFPS with RPG elements with the worlds populated by NPC hoards then it would be epic and i would play it forever. but if they make it like a WoW clone in a shallow attempt to jump into the MMO money wagon i will be sevearly disappointed.

the only thing that would make me buy this game is if i could be a Khorne Bezerker. any chance i can spill blood for the blood god, i take it. it is why i disliked the warhammer mmo, tzeentch? What about the blood god!? why can't i be a devotee to khorne dammet!?

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
Ultrajoe said:
I must say, i'll only play if the follwing criteria are met:

- I can play as Tyranids, or they feature as a main enemy (I love my Hive)
- They do not rape canon to balance units, there are legitimate ways to achieve victory without doing so, many of them discussed here on the escapist.
- I join up with an army of my faction (The Great Devourer Has No Warcry, Only The Drumbeat Of It's Legion's Claws) and fight another army... and consume the dead.
- Individual race mechanics and roles

If these are met, I will never stop playing this game. Ever.
Yar! XD

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
As a fan of 40K since it came out: back when there were just marines, orks, and eldar:
On the one hand I am really looking forward to seeing the 40K mmo. On the other hand, I don't take part in any game that requires a monthly fee. The closest thing is my rental service.

I hope its cool but I doubt I'll take part.

The Jono

Jun 8, 2009
Oh my god, it's a picture of a crashed plane! It's going to be fantastic!
I reckon it could be okay, though the fact that Warhammer 40,000 is all about gigantic armies battling one another, sending it right back down the other end of the scale may be a bit jarring.