Warhammer 40k 7th Edition Review - Through the Grim Darkness

Lodur

May 28, 2014
Warhammer 40k 7th Edition Review - Through the Grim Darkness

The newest edition of the venerable sci-fi wargame is out, but is it better or worse than its predecessors?

Read Full Article

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
*cue 'Even worse than before in 3,2,1...*

Eh, I don't really care, I know someone who bought the rules so I don't need to shell out for it. I'm looking forward to hearing about a possible new starter set, but other than that, the game balance is going to be down to the codices (codexes?) which have been hit and miss for the longest time.

Going to be trying the new ruleset soon enough, but I'm still sticking with Third-Party minis and scratch-built stuff.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Honestly I stoped caring somewhere around the time it crossed over from 4th to 5th edition. Still have most of my army, though some pieces were stolen from my locker at the gaming club... (my dragon winged demon prince, and my defiler, most importantly).

Still over 10k points worth by 3rd/4th edition rules. Started playing back in 2nd edition. I really should take stock of all I have and put it up for sale, probably in chunks.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
What the shit? They didn't even finish updating the codices for all their armies to 6th edition.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I'd play Warhammer 40k, if the two primary goals of the game weren't "sodomize my wallet" and "show how bad of an artist I am".

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Sticker Price: $80

Doesn't look like they've changed at all to me.

Update: Sorry, officially $85. Not including psychic power cards, tactical objective cards, or the Munitorum Edition (which is $250).

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/05/40k-7th-official-price-and-munitorum.html
Wait. They actually called the most expensive version the Munitorum Edition? As in Moneytorum Edition? I'm trying to work out if that's nefariously clever, a Freudian Slip on their behalf, or just depressing.

I think I've got a copy of 4th Ed somewhere. Since I've played VERY few games with it, I see no reason at all to upgrade. Especially not for about £50...

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
What an absolute mess! I mean seriously, who looked at the 6th Edition book and said "Hey, you know what this needs? MORE RULES!" Better yet, lets not include a starter set of miniatures, while raising the prices of every box set. That way all those news kids who want to play can beg their parents for even more money to buy a single tactical squad.
No wonder GW is hemorrhaging players. Didn't they post record losses that quarter?
And if the fluff book is anything like Matt Ward has written or edited in the past, it'll be an absolute tangle in between Ultramarine tongue-baths. For a game with such a rich and expansive history and probably the largest miniature selection of any one company with an attached game they really do limit themselves.
Why did we leave 4th edition again? I remember that being, at least on the tables I played, being the most enjoyable.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
What the shit? They didn't even finish updating the codices for all their armies to 6th edition.
or 5th
hell half the nid update was just to eliminate units they lost rights to.

Aug 31, 2012
Silentpony said:
Didn't they post record losses that quarter?
Not quite, it was a record drop in stock prices for them, they lost about 25% of their value, but they still made a profit, just less than expected. (7.7 million in 6th months as opposed to 11.1 million the same period the year before:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131450-Games-Workshop-Stock-Plummets-By-24-Percent

OT:
I'll probably check it out, I didn't buy 6th ed after buying 5th about 6 months prior to 6th's release. I'm still fuming about Imperial Guard being split into 2 £30 codices though, so I will probably order it from totalwargaming, just to spite GW, even if it means waiting a couple of months for it to arrive (30% off will go some way to easing the wait).

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
"Good vs. evil?" What is this, Star Wars? It would be much more accurate to describe it as "various degrees and forms of evil." The closest you get to "good guys" are the Tau, and even they have a "join us or die" mentality. There are rumors that they conduct even more sinister practices, including brainwashing and forced sterilization of enemy populaces.

While I enjoy the novels and some of the video game adaptations of WH40K, I can't say I've ever been that interested in the tabletop iteration. It doesn't help that Games Workshop makes the prices prohibitively high for someone with a modest income like myself. If I was to get any of these books it would be Dark Millennium for the fluff alone, but it sounds like I already know most of the information it contains.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Diddy_Mao said:
They do this all the time. As a Necron player it was 9 years before my army was brought up to date.
At least I'm not playing Dark Elves of Sisters of Battle.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
"Good vs. evil?" What is this, Star Wars? It would be much more accurate to describe it as "various degrees and forms of evil." The closest you get to "good guys" are the Tau, and even they have a "join us or die" mentality. There are rumors that they conduct even more sinister practices, including brainwashing and forced sterilization of enemy populaces.
It might be more accurate to say that they do conduct those more sinister practises, and then do their best to spread rumours that they don't...

In any case, yeah - isn't the Imperium of man sacrificing something like the population of a country every day just so that they can have a psychic beacon to guide their ships by? And, of course, if an Inquisitor visits your planet and doesn't like it, then you'd better start hoping 'hot fiery death' is nicer than it sounds... And that's just humanity. The Eldar will shoot you if they don't like you, and everyone else is nastier than that. You could even argue that the Tyranids are the closest you get to a 'good' race - at least there isn't anything dishonest or evil about wanting to eat everything.

You know, it's a shame. GW have such a nicely crafted universe... but they seem determined to put it behind a pay-wall bigger than EAs wildest dreams.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Weaver said:
Diddy_Mao said:
They do this all the time. As a Necron player it was 9 years before my army was brought up to date.
At least I'm not playing Dark Elves of Sisters of Battle.
Aye, and 13 years for Dark Eldar to get their book. GW aren't known for speedy updates or a balanced system. when they released 6th Tau and Eldar they proceeded the break the back of 6th edition.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Did they just launch 6th ed like 2 years ago?
This is why I'm glad I switched to War Machine and Malifaux. Hell for those two I can get big armies (or crews in malifaux's case) at a fraction of a serviceable WH or 40K army. Plus I can actually teach people with no experience in table top how to play them with scaring the holy hell out of them with the rulebook.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
I'd play Warhammer 40k, if the two primary goals of the game weren't "sodomize my wallet" and "show how bad of an artist I am".
You left out "destroy friendships by arguing over rules."

Neverhoodian said:
"Good vs. evil?" What is this, Star Wars? It would be much more accurate to describe it as "various degrees and forms of evil." The closest you get to "good guys" are the Tau, and even they have a "join us or die" mentality.
Indeed, it's basically space fascists versus space communists with several other races whose primary raison d'etre is "being a dick".

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
I'm torn. Psychic powers needed the buff and allowing most units to count as scoring opens up a lot of options when building an army, but I don't really feel like spending 80$ on just those two changes and unbound armies may just be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a WH40k game book.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
If you are a new player, play a few games with the new rules before making the large investment for the core books and an army.
Or, if you're a new player, put down the 40k rulebook immediately and run screaming into the welcoming arms of Warmachine. A game made by people that actually give a shit about game balance, and rule interpretations making sense.