Warhammer 40k Chess Makes Everyone A Pawn

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
SerBrittanicus said:
Nice trailer, but I can't see the actual game holding my attention for long its just a 40k version of chess.

Tiamat666 said:
Hey, Games Workshop, you had some guys in THQ create a fantastic WH40K game called "Space Marine". Most of the hard work has already been done. How about a sequel (as was originally intended)?

I think I haven't had such a good time with a mindless shooter since the original Doom came out. Space Marine was ridiculously fun and I'm sure I'm not the only fan who thinks so.
I thought Space marine was fantastic, but didn't someone else pick up the rights for it after the THQ collapse? All I can find on google are rumours that Bioware are the new owners.

Personally I am more looking forward to seeing what SEGA does both with Relic and the Creative Assembly in the Warhammer world.
Please no, anyone but Bioware... they'll have a Calidus Assassin/Sister of Battle as an optional companion with a bonus scene if you waste enough time... GAH!

But anyway the first small developer 40k game I have some interest in, I shall still hold my reservations as none have been worth while yet IMO. Also this is rather prejudice but it sounds a little off in an american accent, I dont know why but ever since fire warrior I've thought marines should have grim English accents. (So racist)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Better have every faction in it, so sick of seeing Marines and one enemy, usually just Chaos or Orks. After all, if it's just chess, then most of the concept is done, they can have fun making all the different skins and boards.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Squeaky said:
SerBrittanicus said:
Nice trailer, but I can't see the actual game holding my attention for long its just a 40k version of chess.

Tiamat666 said:
Hey, Games Workshop, you had some guys in THQ create a fantastic WH40K game called "Space Marine". Most of the hard work has already been done. How about a sequel (as was originally intended)?

I think I haven't had such a good time with a mindless shooter since the original Doom came out. Space Marine was ridiculously fun and I'm sure I'm not the only fan who thinks so.
I thought Space marine was fantastic, but didn't someone else pick up the rights for it after the THQ collapse? All I can find on google are rumours that Bioware are the new owners.

Personally I am more looking forward to seeing what SEGA does both with Relic and the Creative Assembly in the Warhammer world.
Please no, anyone but Bioware... they'll have a Calidus Assassin/Sister of Battle as an optional companion with a bonus scene if you waste enough time... GAH!

But anyway the first small developer 40k game I have some interest in, I shall still hold my reservations as none have been worth while yet IMO. Also this is rather prejudice but it sounds a little off in an american accent, I dont know why but ever since fire warrior I've thought marines should have grim English accents. (So racist)
Let's be real here, the only reason why there is anybody in the Sororitas is because they were promised that the Big E would give them the Big D.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
[quote/]Look, it's chess with Space Marines, what else do you want?[/quote]

I have a few ideas...

An Inquisition RPG?
A squad-based Imperial Gua- oh, sorry, [i/]Astra Militarum[/i] FPS?
An RTS based around an explorator fleet (or a rogue trader)?
Ork Kommando stealth game?
A sequel to Space Marine?

OT: uh, not much to say, it's chess. Look Games Workshop, you need to get your act together. Find some studios who are established and have a record for decent games and get them to make 40K games. Stop giving bits of money to anyone willing to promote your stuff, otherwise we're just gonna get a bunch of crap.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Ieyke said:
Rellik San said:
I'm pretty sure no one in the 41st Millenium has an American accent... so the who the hells is narrating? :O
Of course they do. It's a whole damn galaxy of humans.

On the other hand, none of them speak English, so it's a moot point.
I'm yet to see any lore that says they do.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
So far, we've had good games like Space Hulk, and atrocities like Storm of Vengeance.
No. Just No. Space Hulk is as bad as Storm of Vengeance, Hardcore fans and non-fans say the exact same thing "F**k Space Hulk and It's awful gameplay" seriously It's a terrible game the gameplay is so broke you can't play it because the monsters are apparently experts killing with TERMINATOR ARMOR ON again which apparently one of the strongest in the WarHammer 40K world

TornadoADV

Cobra King
Apr 10, 2009
Captain Anon said:
So far, we've had good games like Space Hulk, and atrocities like Storm of Vengeance.
No. Just No. Space Hulk is as bad as Storm of Vengeance, Hardcore fans and non-fans say the exact same thing "F**k Space Hulk and It's awful gameplay" seriously It's a terrible game the gameplay is so broke you can't play it because the monsters are apparently experts killing with TERMINATOR ARMOR ON again which apparently one of the strongest in the WarHammer 40K world
I hate to break it to you, but it's just a 3D graphic shell of the actual rules of Space Hulk for the table top.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone remember "Battle Chess"? It was this old school PC game that was essentially just Chess, except the pieces looked like a knight, a king, etc. and when you would take an opponent's piece they would do a neat little fighting animation. It was actually really fun.

If they make this game with WH40K races as the pieces and have them fight one another, I could get behind that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
TornadoADV said:
Captain Anon said:
I hate to break it to you, but it's just a 3D graphic shell of the actual rules of Space Hulk for the table top.
That doesn't save the game from being a horribly optimized game that manages to have shitty visuals, poor framerate and long loading times.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Captain Anon said:
DUDE!

Have you ever SEEN the stats for a Genestealer? They are close combat monsters, virtually nothing can stop them, unless you can wipe them out, they are capable of tearing almost anything to shreds, bare in mind, these things rip through bulk heads, plus have whatever strength their progenitor species have, it's crazy enough some models fight them without helmets in the games, given the Genestealers Kiss and all, but for real, a Genestealer exists and exists for one reason only... TO FUCK YOUR SHIT UP SON!

Seriously, imagine a Bee crossed with a Honey Badger crossed with a Xenomorph and then throw in some Face Hugger for good measure and Wolverines claws and you might come close to how angry and vicious those things are, seriously, why do you think if a 'Nid player deploys Genestealers to the field, not a single shit is given about the Gaunts and Tyrants, yeah those models are threatening... Seriously if a 'Stealer horde charges at you, it's in your best interest to royally fuck them up, in terms of CQC there is no other single unit outside of characters that even comes close to how much a 'Stealer force charging into your line can ruin your day.

Especially at 14pts per model.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Rellik San said:
Ieyke said:
Rellik San said:
I'm pretty sure no one in the 41st Millenium has an American accent... so the who the hells is narrating? :O

Because anyone with half a brain can figure it out for themselves.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
Rellik San said:
Captain Anon said:
DUDE!

Have you ever SEEN the stats for a Genestealer? They are close combat monsters, virtually nothing can stop them, unless you can wipe them out, they are capable of tearing almost anything to shreds, bare in mind, these things rip through bulk heads, plus have whatever strength their progenitor species have, it's crazy enough some models fight them without helmets in the games, given the Genestealers Kiss and all, but for real, a Genestealer exists and exists for one reason only... TO FUCK YOUR SHIT UP SON!

Seriously, imagine a Bee crossed with a Honey Badger crossed with a Xenomorph and then throw in some Face Hugger for good measure and Wolverines claws and you might come close to how angry and vicious those things are, seriously, why do you think if a 'Nid player deploys Genestealers to the field, not a single shit is given about the Gaunts and Tyrants, yeah those models are threatening... Seriously if a 'Stealer horde charges at you, it's in your best interest to royally fuck them up, in terms of CQC there is no other single unit outside of characters that even comes close to how much a 'Stealer force charging into your line can ruin your day.

Exactly that's what I'm trying to say they're way too overpowered, I mean what the fuck kind of armor are we wearing?! Fucking Cardboard?!?! or worse Paper?!?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Ieyke said:
Rellik San said:
Ieyke said:
Rellik San said:

Because anyone with half a brain can figure it out for themselves.
Given the number of Sci-Fi settings populated by purely American accented humans and aliens, is it so hard to imagine that 40K is exclusively British accented (or at least done so to represent the psuedo classical Gothic languages)? Of course it is, y'see that's the fun part of speculative fiction... the speculation.

Captain Anon said:
Rellik San said:
Captain Anon said:
DUDE!

Exactly that's what I'm trying to say they're way too overpowered, I mean what the fuck kind of armor are we wearing?! Fucking Cardboard?!?! or worse Paper?!?
Well that's the thing, thanks to their MEQ toughness, most standard fire arms can take them out before they get close, plus like all horde armies, template weapons are their bane, it's why in Space Hulk the Flamers are indispensable. For as good as the 'nids and especially Genestealers are in close combat, it's making sure they don't get to close combat that's the key.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
TornadoADV said:
Captain Anon said:
I hate to break it to you, but it's just a 3D graphic shell of the actual rules of Space Hulk for the tabletop.
That doesn't save the game from being a horribly optimized game that manages to have shitty visuals, poor framerate and long loading times.
Bad Glitches, Bullets going through walls, Graphics degrade over time as Genestealer bodies start to pile up and your guys and Genestealers clipping through walls, Space Marines, Genestealers and everything else you could possibly clip through