Warhammer 40k- How good is it?

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
I've heard a lot about how apparently awesome the warhammer 40k universe is but I've never had any personal experience with anything involving it. So my question (in case you didn't read the title for some unexplainable reason) is how good is it and how much would you recommend someone to go into that universe. Anything involving it can be recommended, video games, board games, books, movies, etc. Also if you were to recommend it where would you say they start? Such as if they wanted to get into the dawn of war series which would be a good opening point? Would it be ok to start at the newer ones or would it be much wiser to start from the beginning?

Also if you weren't getting some thought that I'm using this as a more complex way of asking which dawn of war game I should get allow me to say I totally am. I'm not a liar so there you go. Take it however you want I understand.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
The Dawn of War series is pretty damn good just as RTS games. 2 was a little weird because it seemed to draw from the school of Diablo 2 but Dawn of War: Dark Crusade is probably one of the best RTS games to date.

As for the WH40K universe, It's great! Well, it is if the idea of crippling despair doesn't depress you too much. Just start reading some of the books that Dan Abnett has written using the 40k mythos and you'll have a taste of the sheer depth the creators of the original game have put into its backstory.

If nothing else, find some way to get your hands on The Dawn of War games up until Soulstorm. In fact, if you see a copy of Soulstorm, just destroy it with a hammer.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Well, to me this kinda summarises W40K:

It's just so batshit insane, over-the-top and, frankly, pure bullshit. But you know what? I wouldn't want it any other way.

I mean, just look at this:
Orks with machineguns, flamethrowers and cigars? Because we fucking can!

=RedMenace=

Apr 19, 2010
It is over the top, b*lls to the wall Grimdarkness. Where everyone is batsh*t crazy, genocidal, xenophobic and evil in their own varying sweet delicious ways... Even "the good guys".

Yeah... I love it... lots.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IIIIIIT! It's my favourite game cinematic of all time.

WH40K is impossibly bad-ass, and hilariously awesome. It's science-fiction taken... TO THE EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME! You've probably seen the meme pictures. Space Marines are basically the Spartans from 300 in space.

It's my favourite fictional universe - oh hell, favourite universe full stop - and one of my favourite games of all time is WH40K: Dawn of War (plus expansions).

It's a bit old now, but I still think it's better than the sequel. You can get it cheaply on steam.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
the RTS games are good. the table top game is good but expensive and the saying and mantra etc can be good.

vault69

Feb 22, 2011
=RedMenace= said:
It is over the top, b*lls to the wall Grimdarkness. Where everyone is batsh*t crazy, genocidal, xenophobic and evil in their own varying sweet delicious ways... Even "the good guys".

Yeah... I love it... lots.
this

As for the games I loved DoW and its sequel(ever-so-slightly-more (minus GFWL ofc)).
Soulstorm wasnt great but it is better than Retribution imo, which was multiplayer based(I hate the MP)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Well...IMHO, it's a franchise that has been around for decades, and we all know what happens to those when they keep going.

Rano

Dec 14, 2010
My only experience with it are the Dawn of War games, all of which i own: Dark Crusade is one of the best RTS games iv ever played. Never really red up on it all but i have friends who are deep into the table top game and love it. also the game Space Marine is coming out and it looks good aswell

Edit: and DoW 2 was terrible, just done wrong.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It is a unique science fictional universe. I highly recommend the Dawn of War games except Soulstorm.

I can't even begin to explain it so refer to this article on t.v. tropes. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Warhammer40000]

Udyrfrykte

Jun 16, 2008
The universe is great, the games DoW games are good (2. is.. so-so imo), Space Hulk : Vengeance of the Blood Angels was GREAT at its time.
The tabletop is fun if you got the time and money aswell. I mean, the models cost so much you would think they all had a gold core.

dudehead

Jul 21, 2008
Mr Thin said:
Cowabungaa said:
LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IIIIIIT! It's my favourite game cinematic of all time.

WH40K is impossibly bad-ass, and hilariously awesome. It's science-fiction taken... TO THE EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEME! You've probably seen the meme pictures. Space Marines are basically the Spartans from 300 in space.

It's my favourite fictional universe - oh hell, favourite universe full stop - and one of my favourite games of all time is WH40K: Dawn of War (plus expansions).

It's a bit old now, but I still think it's better than the sequel. You can get it cheaply on steam.
Damn my broken computer! That made me want to play Dawn of War II so badly (It's the only one I own). I need to fix it and get back into those games. I've gotten a good 45 or so hours of gameplay out of that game alone.

BigDeadMushy

May 4, 2011
it's a great game,I've spent many days of my life playing,painting and talkin about it with like-minded individuals (although I prefer Fantasy Battles,Blood Bowl and Necromunda)
I recommend heading out into the not-quite-as-grim-darkness-as-the-future and finding your local Games Workshop store.from there you will also be able to find the local gaming club and possibly see the game in action.maybe somebody will even loan you some models so you can give it a shot.
it can be logically argued that many (if not all,I couldn't say for sure,only having met a few) escapists are of the highest caliber of what can be considered Right,Fun and Good in the world,but the only true judge can be yourself.

-sidenote- new captcha is mildly entertaining.I wish I had been heavily debating something when something like this one came up(I also wish it could be copypasta'd like the old ones):
sour grapes

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Ok its sounding good so far so thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Especially since my last topic got 1 reply in 2 days.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Feriluce said:
I CAN FEEL THE WARP OVERTAKING ME! IT IS A GOOD PAIN!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!

MILK FOR THE KHORNE FLAKES!!

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
YOU DARE QUESTION ME?
YOU WHO HAVE NOT HEARD THE WHISPERS OF THE DARK GODS IN YOUR EAR?

It is the greatest universe to ever be concieved. It is the summation of everything terrorifying, dirty and depressing of humanity a taken into a galatic scale, ruled by fear, ignorance and desperation. And all those worst aspect of humanity, the hatred, the greed, the fear. It is all that is holding humanity together.

"Forget the promise of science and technology, for so much has been lost, never to be relearnt. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war. An eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods."

For humanity to thrive is to feed the forced of Chaos and doom itself.

ecyor0

Dec 7, 2010
Well, just talking about the tabletop game...

It's quite fun. HOWEVER, it requires a large time investment (games are usually a couple of hours long), and a large monetary investment (those models aren't cheap). That said, if you're willing to put in the time and finances, it can be very enjoyable.

Worth mentioning is that putting the models together is half of what makes the hobby so popular - if you enjoy putting together model kits (model planes, etc), then you'll enjoy the process of assembling your army just as much as actually using it to play matches (more so, even).

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's LOTR in space, or D&D in space rather, or as some "journalists" like to call it "Gears of War rip-off"

The franchise reaches back 30+ years so the amount of backstory at this point is batshit crazy, it's probably best to start with the games as a soft entry point, then if you like it there is no shortage of extra material.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
It's an awesomely crazy universe, if you just want to play the games (tabletop or computer) then you can just jump right in and be perfectly fine with it. And if you want to read more into the history of all the race's then there is a huge amount of background for all the races.

The Dawn of War games are great... though maybe not some of the newer ones, not heard great things about soulstorm and DoW2, but the first 3 are definitely great and probably quiet cheap by now.

The tabletop game is expensive and time consuming, but if you enjoy those games it is worth it.