Warhammer 40k MMO is a Go

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
CJ1145 said:
kebab4you said:
Just walk away, boy... [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/4/10/]

Why do people hate Warhammer Online? I love that game, only reason I don't play is I'm out of money! Far better game than WoW, better pvp and the lore is a lot more fun.

As for this game, definitely going to keep an eye on it. I feel sorry that this will be competing with The Old Republic for my attention.
Maybe i was a bit unfair since i only played to 35, but during those lvls it felt like it was just like WoW

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
MY EYE'S! MY SOUL!!!

OOOOHHHH, it's...it's pulling me in! No, I don't want it, but..but it's Warhammer 40K! Where Armored Knights in Space kill Space Elves and Jet Pack orcs!

Must resist...hate MMO's...must not...ARGH!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
This is what I've been waiting for. I can only hope that it doesn't go the way of AOR.
Still, THQ have been good for 40k so far so there might be a chance for this.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
... Holy crap does that look awesome. But oh man, it is going to be physically painful to not play this game when it comes out if it has a monthly fee - I refuse to countenance monthly fees, no matter how awesome of a game they're attached to.

Here's to the extremely faint hope that their business model will be something like ArenaNet's, or the new direction Turbine has taken, as I would really love to play this.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
*Ahem*

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOOD!
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

With that out of the way...

That looks awesome! A shooter based MMO set in the most awesome of awesome settings. I never thought I would say this but: I really hope there will be RP servers. The temptation to roleplay a chaos marine is just too strong!

danp164

Apr 16, 2009
Hmmm, I am concerned.

Let me start by saying I play 40k, and while im not a complete fanatic over the backstory, I do know what happens when you put an imperial Guardsmen (Imperial grunt) up against a space marine, the result is as quick as it is messy. therefore im a little concerned that a "Level 10" Guardsmen could potentially kill a space marine with very little effort. My cocerns increase exponentially when DoW was mentioned, because dotn get me wrong, I like that game, its like 40k Lite for people who dont have enough time of money for models. But it threw the game story out of the window in favour of game balance... if this is meant to be an mmorpg, the key element is the RPG and therefore the story... but hey its a warhammer game, what could go wrong*

*Im fully aware with that scentance I have cursed this game to doom.

sanjuro71

Jun 16, 2010
danp164 said:
Hmmm, I am concerned.

Let me start by saying I play 40k, and while im not a complete fanatic over the backstory, I do know what happens when you put an imperial Guardsmen (Imperial grunt) up against a space marine, the result is as quick as it is messy. therefore im a little concerned that a "Level 10" Guardsmen could potentially kill a space marine with very little effort. My cocerns increase exponentially when DoW was mentioned, because dotn get me wrong, I like that game, its like 40k Lite for people who dont have enough time of money for models. But it threw the game story out of the window in favour of game balance... if this is meant to be an mmorpg, the key element is the RPG and therefore the story... but hey its a warhammer game, what could go wrong*

*Im fully aware with that scentance I have cursed this game to doom.
They could always start marines out in scout armor than graduate to power armor, that would still fit in with the 40k "fluff". I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one though, I hope it turns out to be as good as the Dawn of War series has been.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Elurindel said:
I can only hope that Space Marines will be far from common. Seeing thousands of them wandering around (especially Blood Ravens...grrr) would ruin the whole thing. I just hope all the other facets of the game are represented. Hell, it'd be awesome if you could become the Princeps that pilots the Titans, or an Ork Stompa-driving Mek. I'll keep an eye out, as maybe this time I'll have found an MMO that sticks.
Actually, there ARE Thousands of space marines.

1 chapter = ten companies = 100 space marines per company = 1,000 per chapter. And thats only the strictly codex chapters.

There are hundreds of Chapters.

I suspect IG won't be playable in the game, but Inquisitors might be. The Imperium will probably be boiled down to a single faction, as will Chaos.

Not shown, but the Eldar and Tau could easily be playable races.

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Elurindel said:
I can only hope that Space Marines will be far from common. Seeing thousands of them wandering around (especially Blood Ravens...grrr) would ruin the whole thing. I just hope all the other facets of the game are represented. Hell, it'd be awesome if you could become the Princeps that pilots the Titans, or an Ork Stompa-driving Mek. I'll keep an eye out, as maybe this time I'll have found an MMO that sticks.

1 chapter = ten companies = 100 space marines per company = 1,000 per chapter. And thats only the strictly codex chapters.

I suspect IG won't be playable in the game, but Inquisitors might be. The Imperium will probably be boiled down to a single faction, as will Chaos.

"There is less than one Space Marine for every world in the galaxy". Of this I'm aware. Of course, a successful MMO would hopefully have more than a million players. My worry is that Space Marines will become the vast majority, and that the Marines will be played like heroes that can level up, causing thousands of Chapter Masters to be running around everywhere.

Edit: Also, having thousands of people as Space Marines belonging to the same chapter would be rather jarring, seeing as most Space Marine chapters should only have about 1000 players.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
I really like the sound of this- I certainly hope you can play as Eldar/Dark Eldar/Tau; those are my favorite races, hands-down. And I hope that this turns out well, as getting more people interested in Warhammer 40k can only be a good thing.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
GIVE ME NAO!

Actually no, I can wait. Id rather them fully work on it, not release it too early and not patch every single day.

On a side note, I dont some races.... (Tau, Necron, Tyranids...) Oh well, first things first, please, for the love of the emporer... be a good game.

pirate64

Jan 8, 2010
As long as they have tau then this may be the first mmo I play. I used to love warhammer 40k but I kinda stopped because of school and money issues (It's really expensive!!) but this mmo looks good and it's cheaper!!

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Looks okay, but very much like WoW, like almost exactly.

Also if it's not voiced then I'm going to be underwhelmed.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Elurindel said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Elurindel said:

"There is less than one Space Marine for every world in the galaxy". Of this I'm aware. Of course, a successful MMO would hopefully have more than a million players. My worry is that Space Marines will become the vast majority, and that the Marines will be played like heroes that can level up, causing thousands of Chapter Masters to be running around everywhere.

Edit: Also, having thousands of people as Space Marines belonging to the same chapter would be rather jarring, seeing as most Space Marine chapters should only have about 1000 players.
There are like, a million Worlds in the friggin WH40k Galaxy though. The Imperium IS HUGE.

They'll probably refer to In Game guilds as "Crusades". That works, doesn't it?

Elurindel

Dec 12, 2007
TsunamiWombat said:
Elurindel said:
TsunamiWombat said:
Elurindel said:

There are like, a million Worlds in the friggin WH40k Galaxy though. The Imperium IS HUGE.

They'll probably refer to In Game guilds as "Crusades". That works, doesn't it?
It's possible I've mis-quoted, but there are about a million Space Marines. My point is that each Chapter numbers 1000 for the specific reason that should any given Chapter rebel and turn to Chaos, that the Imperium does not suffer a loss like it did when it lost half the legions in the days of the Horus Heresy. If there are 100,000 Blood Ravens running around it'll look ridiculous.

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
In the name of the Emperor.

Seriously, this looks quite good. Would like to see what they do with it.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Elurindel said:

There are a thousand chapters each a thousand strong. According to the codex, that works out to less than 1 marine per world in the imperium. The marines themselves are the undisputed pinacle of humanity. A company is seen as sufficient to pacity a planet and a chapter can lay waste to a sector. Still, in spite of the armor and bio engineering, in spite of the weapons and arms, in spite of the simple fact that these men are little more than mankind's literal incarnation of war it is the guard that keeps the enemies of the imperium at bay.

And, people who like tau always assocaite the Tau with unmatched firepower which never ceases to amaze me. Apparantly the innumerable big guns in the guard army are forgotten in favor of the unusually painful laser pointers your average guardsman is given.

WriterX

Mar 21, 2008
Yes, I could not help but notice the IG. I have personal doubts whether they would be a playable "race", since the average guardsman could perhaps face snotlings alone, at best, and win, which against anything bigger it might look very, very bleak. If they attempted to balance the IG, so that they were comparable "Stats" to all the other races, well, a lot of Space Marine and Chaos players, I believe would be at the least annoyed by Guardsmen with Space Marine Endurance. I'd just guess they are NPCs, in any other case, if I had to play the IG, Lemun Russ Tank commander, or an officer capable of summoning IG squads at will. I assume Storm Troopers could be an exception, but they would still hardly match any of the other races.