Warhammer info

EPolleys

May 12, 2010
I was just curious to know, for those of us who have taken a shine to Warhammer whether your'e a new or old fan, when you have a Warhammer related question to be answered where do you prefer to locate your information, a wiki page or the official lexicanum?
I prefer the lexicanum myself, sorta feels like someone who's actually in the Warhammer universe is explaining things.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Only recently found the Lexicanum; much more detailed and better illustrated. Don't really see the purpose of using another site for the stuff it has on it.

Is it official? I thought it was just a really detailed wiki.

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
Elmoth said:
Is Warhammer 40000 the future of Warhammer Fantasy? I've always wondered this but never got a conclusive answer.
No. But the races are more or less the same in use.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Elmoth said:
Is Warhammer 40000 the future of Warhammer Fantasy? I've always wondered this but never got a conclusive answer.
Warhammer is a completely different universe then our own, while Warhammer 40K is supposedly a future version of our actual universe.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hive Mind said:
Elmoth said:
That line of thinking is a bit hit 'n miss, much of the time. With some of the races... maybe (e.g. Imperial Guard/Empire), but with others, it's waaaaay off (e.g. Dark Eldar just does not play like Dark Elves, they play closer to Wood Elves). Also, stating the obvious but a lot of them don't have counterparts in the other system.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
captainfluoxetine said:
SckizoBoy said:
I'm a Farseer... so I already know everything there is to know!

So hup hyours, online encyclopaedias!
Still managed to give birth to Slaanesh though didn't ya? ya arrogant douche!
WE DO NOT UTTER THAT NAME!!!!!

Besides, I was born a mere five thousand years ago, that maleventum occurred long before the age of such wisdom as that which I hold. *pretentious sniff*

('dja see what I did thar?!)

Hive Mind

Apr 30, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
Hive Mind said:
Elmoth said:
That line of thinking is a bit hit 'n miss, much of the time. With some of the races... maybe (e.g. Imperial Guard/Empire), but with others, it's waaaaay off (e.g. Dark Eldar just does not play like Dark Elves, they play closer to Wood Elves). Also, stating the obvious but a lot of them don't have counterparts in the other system.
Yeah, they aren't the exact same. But elves are still hit and run fighters. The Empire is still all about its guns and man power. Chaos has its daemons and its magical warriors. Orks are... orks, lol.

Parallels can be drawn, I guess I'm saying.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
Elmoth said:
The old Realms of Chaos books were written from the perspective of a scribe documenting the ways of Chaos, the later half of the book was a 40K section which the scribe was privy to through a vision. So what's that? Parallel dimesion or a glimpse of the future?

Oh, the Talisman boardgame had a 40K expansion for it as well.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Elmoth said:
No. It's uncertain whether:

1 - They are totally separate universes, that just happen to share many concepts 9because they were designed by the same people).

2 - WHF exists within the 40K universe, presumably within the same timeline. It's a lost human colony post-Age of Strife, possibly within the Eye of Terror or another warp... thing.

Officially, 1 is true, but 2 is a fan possibility since there's no evidence contradicting it. 40k is not the future of WHF though - it's definitely a future following on from our present, but WHF could exist concurrently.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hive Mind said:
Yeah, they aren't the exact same. But elves are still hit and run fighters. The Empire is still all about its guns and man power. Chaos has its daemons and its magical warriors. Orks are... orks, lol.

Fair dos, and most comparisons are quite fair (gameplay wise). Now that I think on it, the one I mentioned is the only one that has distinct playing styles.

captainfluoxetine said:
*blows your head off with a bolter round*

Farsee that.

I have always loved the cockyness of the Eldar despite the fact they really do have sod all to be smug about.
4+ Invunerable save... HA!

Yeah, I never really got that either (Eldar arrogance), but I think it's to do with being the 'elder race' of the Universe, seen the sites, done the... things, only it's carried itself off not as world-weariness, but as this oddly satisfying delusion of supremacy (not even superiority).

Valkyrie101 said:

1 - They are totally separate universes, that just happen to share many concepts (because they were designed by the same people).

2 - WHF exists within the 40K universe, presumably within the same timeline. It's a lost human colony post-Age of Strife, possibly within the Eye of Terror or another warp... thing.

Officially, 1 is true, but 2 is a fan possibility since there's no evidence contradicting it. 40k is not the future of WHF though - it's definitely a future following on from our present, but WHF could exist concurrently.
Point 1 is kinda given, but 2 is difficult to justify, due to the source of magic/psychic power, because the 'Warp' is non-existent in WHF (granted perhaps due it being set presumably prior to the birth of the Chaos Tetrad) but all of the daemon equivalents exist in WHF, so it's probably just parallel universes with different evolutionary paths, because the history of the WHF world is tens of thousands of years old (or nearing that) as well. Also, WH40K is supposed to be a 'potential' future of the 'real' world. (I love me a dystopia!)

*shrug*

stuka06

May 3, 2011
Valkyrie101 said:
Elmoth said:

1 - They are totally separate universes, that just happen to share many concepts 9because they were designed by the same people).

On 2:
Another possibility is, that it is an Eldar Exodite World http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Exodite_World

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I've been a fan for a good bit. Seven years or so, I think.

I just google shit if I want to know something.

mkg

Feb 24, 2009
Elmoth said:
I believe it is implied that the story of Warhammer fantasy takes place on a planet in the same galaxy as Warhammer 40,000, but no race has interferred with it in quite some time.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Hive Mind said:

Fair dos, and most comparisons are quite fair (gameplay wise). Now that I think on it, the one I mentioned is the only one that has distinct playing styles.

captainfluoxetine said:
*blows your head off with a bolter round*

Farsee that.

I have always loved the cockyness of the Eldar despite the fact they really do have sod all to be smug about.
4+ Invunerable save... HA!

Yeah, I never really got that either (Eldar arrogance), but I think it's to do with being the 'elder race' of the Universe, seen the sites, done the... things, only it's carried itself off not as world-weariness, but as this oddly satisfying delusion of supremacy (not even superiority).

Valkyrie101 said:

1 - They are totally separate universes, that just happen to share many concepts (because they were designed by the same people).

Point 1 is kinda given, but 2 is difficult to justify, due to the source of magic/psychic power, because the 'Warp' is non-existent in WHF (granted perhaps due it being set presumably prior to the birth of the Chaos Tetrad) but all of the daemon equivalents exist in WHF, so it's probably just parallel universes with different evolutionary paths, because the history of the WHF world is tens of thousands of years old (or nearing that) as well. Also, WH40K is supposed to be a 'potential' future of the 'real' world. (I love me a dystopia!)

*shrug*
It could be a planet contaminated by the warp, where the humans have learned sorcery. Slightly contrived though - the idea of them being totally separate makes more sense.

On a related side note, can anyone in WHF learn magic, or only certain 'touched' individuals?