Warhammer Online Closing Down

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Huh, I thought this game had shut down years ago. It was the last MMO my friends and I tried to play together after entering college, and I remember that we ultimately quit playing after the free month because while the PvP was really fun, the lack of any substantial PvE content that was there to do, beyond to fill the time between PvP queues, was pitiful. Since the game's focus was outright stated to be PvP we didn't expect that aspect of the game to improve, so my friends quit playing and I went back to WoW for Wrath.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
When I played it I really enjoyed it, at least at first.

Then the frayed edges became apparent and I realized just how much more polish the game would need.

I was even considering getting back into it if it was still running - I guess this has sealed it.

Makes you wonder if they would then allow private servers or something. Perhaps something you could do at a LAN with friends if you had the desire.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
This was the last blind purchase of an MMO I ever made. I didn't know how the game played at all, but got it anyway because they hyped it so much... turned out to be a linear mess of half-assed good ideas and ripped off of WoW too much. I canceled my subscription before my free month was up.

Now I don't buy an MMO I can't try first.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Original IP games out last most others(bar maybe star trek online, she just keeps fighting). Got the speicla ed of Warhammer online - the figure is still pride of my small orc army :) but alas the game was too pvp driven and was a bit of a wow clone. Shame I enjoyed it for a bit but it was alas a flawed gem.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Warhammer Online was my textbook case study on how to take a great game and screw it up in the last 20%.

The first ten levels of WAR were fantastic, they grabbed interest, they were fun, dynamic, flowed well and had tons to do.

The next ten levels introduced new levels of complexity to the PVP and PVE elements of the game, and while the story elements started to drop off, you still had that sense of urgency and immediacy that made the RVR aspect of the game feel relevant.

The next ten levels were where things started to bog down a bit, classes became less balanced, bugs started to show up with more frequency, the PVE dungeons were frequently semi-functional at best.

And the last ten levels is where the entire game pretty much went to shit. Nothing worked right, class balance went largely out the window, the PVE dungeons were broken, the RVR systems didn't work, and the server infrastructure simply wasn't adequate to the task.

Mythic might have been able to pull it out if they'd done one thing right at the beginning, and one thing right at the end.

That first thing? Ensure faction balance not just in class abilities, but in player populations. There were supposed to be systems in place to offset severe outnumbering, but on my server, Destruction outnumbered Order so badly that when all the Destro players showed up for a siege, they'd crash the zone they entered. Admittedly, Order had fantastic coordination; we got all the best and brightest of the various guilds to coordinate into a single massive assault, each guild with specific objectives, all set to go off at a particular time.

We almost won that particular stage, until Destro just showed up and swarmed every single group down simultaneously.

The balance was often disputed, but it ranged in theory from 3-1 all the way to 5-1. Mythic wouldn't tell us, and the player-gathered metrics weren't exactly reliable. But people knew, and a lot of them just stopped playing as a result. Ironically, a lot of the Destro players quit when they realized that because the servers couldn't handle the sheer mass of their zerg, they'd never be able to actually get to the proper RVR endgame.

The thing they could have done right at the end was made damned sure that the endgame PVE dungeons worked. That would have given them time to work out the kinks in the RVR system, rebalance classes, and do all the little fiddly bits that should have been done in the beta but weren't. So long as people would have had something to do, they might have been able to salvage the game.

As it was, they went on to screw up by the numbers for a few more years. Last time I looked at WAR, the game had gone from dozens of servers to around four.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Draconalis said:
Granted the game wasn't in a fit state, so contract renewing wasn't worth the effort... but something that catches my attention here... could this happen to any licensed MMO?

Could I be playing a sprawling healthy licensed MMO, then one day it all ends because the two companies come at odds with each other?

It's a disturbing thought... in the same vein as gaming becoming a license rather than a property.
When you say at odds, in this case it's Games Workshop wanting more money than EA is willing to give up.

It is possible that it could happen any day, however license renewal is something people can generally find out about a few months before the lights are shut off forever.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Draconalis said:
Granted the game wasn't in a fit state, so contract renewing wasn't worth the effort... but something that catches my attention here... could this happen to any licensed MMO?

Could I be playing a sprawling healthy licensed MMO, then one day it all ends because the two companies come at odds with each other?

It's a disturbing thought... in the same vein as gaming becoming a license rather than a property.
In my opinion, this is why you should demand private server support when a MMO is near its end or is closing. Private servers might be out of the hands of the company, and there might be some dishonest things that happen in them, but considering the kind of data they can store server-side and the disclaimers they can put on private servers it's not an entirely big issue. Secondly, they can cut costs just though private server support, and I bet the community as a whole would be a lot calmer and an individual player would be more able to find the right kind of server for them instead of being limited to ten to fifteen public servers in their region, all of which hold different kinds of players, and ultimately create a kind of first impression that doesn't go away for a very long time - If a new player logs in at the wrong place and the wrong time, and spawn amongst the wrong kind of people, that player isn't going to stay very long.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
vxicepickxv said:
When you say at odds, in this case it's Games Workshop wanting more money than EA is willing to give up.

It is possible that it could happen any day, however license renewal is something people can generally find out about a few months before the lights are shut off forever.
What I meant by "at odds" was a hypothetical falling out between two companies forcing a healthy game to die prematurely.

It doesn't matter how much warning you have, what I'm not a fan of is the idea of being forced to stop playing a game I've been paying good money for.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
Brilliant PvP game but was crippled from the outset by lack of release content and the way they didn't follow the DAoC model more. Could of been so much more than it was if funded more and they delivered what they promised.

Vedrenne

Feb 8, 2010
Also doesn't help that GW has already contracted Creative Assembly to make the next couple of Warhammer Fantasy Battle games. By waiting until the death date for WAR, no need for CA or GW to fret over EA legal team.

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Sad really it was a fun game , But then they screwed it up and ppl fell off in droves.it was not Star wars G bad but close to it. But a guess the fanboys that defended the update have hade fun for 2-3 years all 4 of them.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
lancar said:
But I heard that it was basically a poor man's WoW
The sad part is that that will probably be how it's remembered, even though it really wasn't. Several of the innovations that are now big boasting points for new MMOs claiming to be doing new things actually came from WAR. Open quests that you just walk into without needing groups or a quest giver - one of the major selling points for Guild Wars 2 and Rift, seen first in WAR. Several of the combat mechanics that go beyond simply using up mana or its equivalent to use skills in both those games were also done first in WAR. Guild Wars 2 even effectively has the chicken mechanic, just done in a better way. As others have noted the game was far from perfect, but it was much more than just another WoW clone.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Two words: Paul Barnett...

The spin meister.

Everything is fine, any perceived balance issues are just in players heads and they should stop bitching... we have the metrics.. you are wrong... and theres something awesome we gonna reveal just around the corner.

The fact that they never walked around said corner speaks for itselfe.

Mythic was arrogant and had no clue what the hell they where doing.

In the first 6 months they lost nearly all of their millions of subscribers.

Till today i will not understand why they didnt made the game free 2 play completly instead of this nonsensical tier 1 chaos vs imperium free4ever crap.

Also the game was beautifull... it catched the look of the warhammer table top game perfectly... it had so much potential that i bought the friggin collectors edition...

Wich now has a premiere place on my shelf looking down at me mockingly so ill never do the same mistake ever again. Right next to my alone in the dark collectors... sometimes you need to be told twice T_T

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Played it for a few months. Not enough PvE content to keep my intrest, but it was the first and only MMO where I actually enjoyed the PvP somewhat.
Thought it was long since dead though. Popped by with a trial account two years ago, or something, and apart from the trial accounts playing around with low level pvp there was not much else going on.

SilentXero

Jul 10, 2008
I am very sad to hear this! I have pretty much every MMO (WOW,WAR,RIFT,TERA,SWTOR,AION,FFIVX,FFXI,LOTRO,DDO,Star Trek Online...)....but Warhammer:Age of Reconing was my constant favorite!I was just about to cancel my Rift account and a few others to direct more time to WAR. WOW is probably still one of my favorites as I've played it since 2005 ( a full year after it came out)and just kept grinding until I've put so much time in it that it actually became a job. However Warhammer was pure joy to play! I love the Realm vs. Realm battles and trying to level up all of my characters. It's never easy to see an MMO go offline (Tala Rasa,Star Wars Galaxies(B4 NCG),not to mention a bunch of others. I actually paid for my subscription in 3 month increments.....I was going to be committed to this game outside of Family and Work. I loved the mythology as it held true to the monsters habits and namesake (Minotaur were Minotaur, not Tauren...esentially the same, but the DoomBull and BloodBull are so freaking cool!). They named their creatures correctly; Gryphon,Manticore (not wow's mishap calling them wyverns!)among other glaring omissions which,however can be over looked. I know WAR didn't have the fanbase that WOW and RIFT had; even when it went free to play. Well, I'm just going to enjoy it until the very last battle at the end of this.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
WAR was a sad story from the start. It had a lot of potential, fun PvP and a gameworld that hit the tone of Warhammer almost perfectly. But mechanically and technically it was a broken mess.

I had a lot of fun with it by replaying the first 20 levels over and over again, but eventually the unfixed bugs, balance issues, server problems and population problems was too much too bear. During the first year they fixed a lot of stuff, but after that they just seemed to release more buggy content and more grind.

I'm not sad to see WAR go, but I'm sad that it never receive the loving attention it deserved.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I'd felt more sad if they hadn't treated roleplaying as some weird mental condition they must not in any way inspire or accomdate. Except slapping an "RP" tag in front of the more dead servers, because WoW did.
And perhaps it was a bit of hubris on their part to continue to demand subscriptions, rather than bite the bullet and save what they had in the F2P market.

But it's still a bit of a shame, it did have its moments. It just should've been managed better, given the care it deserved.