Warner Bros. Already Planning a Suicide Squad Sequel

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
Warner Bros. Already Planning a Suicide Squad Sequel

Suicide Squad director David Ayer is already in talks to reteam with Will Smith for a sequel next year.

In an era of increasingly-bloated (both in cast and in budget), shared universe comic book movies, movie studios have become increasingly focused on not only finding the next blockbuster, but the next blockbuster franchise. It's simple economics, really; more movies equals more toys to sell, more cross-promotions with the all-new, fully-loaded Jeep Renegade [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzpQdb5rOOo], more exclusive pre-order Blu-ray combo packs, and so forth.

With a cast including such heavy-hitters as Will Smith and Jared Leto and a budget rumored to be north of 250 million dollars [http://www.latino-review.com/news/dc-weekly-suicide-squad-budget-revealed-and-dark-knight-iii-issue-1-review], David Ayer's Suicide Squad is a movie that clearly has franchise potential written all over it. So it shouldn't come as a shock that, some five months before it even hits theaters, we're already hearing rumblings of a probable sequel.

The news comes via The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/will-smith-joel-edgerton-to-star-in-david-ayers-cop-thriller-bright/], who reported that Ayer and Smith would be teaming up in the fall to bring a "fantasy cop film" written by Max Landis to life -- that is, only if Ayer can fit the project in "before Warner Bros. brings him and Smith back for a planned "Suicide Squad" sequel in 2017."

Dubbed Bright, the supernatural thriller will see Smith "Set in a world where orcs and fairies live among humans...and boasts a unique protagonist in the form of an orc cop."

With Smith having just started filming "Collateral Beauty" for New Line and additionally being scheduled to shoot sequels [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/166379-Will-Smith-Martin-Lawrence-Re-Teaming-for-Bad-Boys-3] alongside Martin Lawrence, it is unknown whether this collaboration with Ayer will ever see the light of day before the inevitable Suicide Squad sequel begins filming.

Of course, all these plans will likely change if Suicide Squad happens to somehow bomb on August 5th, which...who am I kidding, that's not gonna happen [http://moviepilot.com/posts/3764417].

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/will-smith-joel-edgerton-to-star-in-david-ayers-cop-thriller-bright/]

monkeymangler

Feb 9, 2016
Well, Suicide Squad is a 50/50 movie right now (could be awesome, could be awful), so they may as well plan the sequel since it will make its money back.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So they're going for the Green Lantern route? Planning ahead for a sequel before the actual film come out. When it does come out and turns out to be shit, little by little forget that they says about making a sequel.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
If Warner Bros. want a sequel I can't help but think they should be looking to get Jared Leto and Margot Robbie's signatures on the dotted line first. Those two have felt like this movie's MVPs from the get go, while Smith, at this point, feels almost like a liability.

Just how strong is he at the box office after the likes of After Earth? At this point it feels like Will Smith needs Suicide Squad more than Suicide Squad needs Will Smith.

For the geek audience at least - who are going to drive the online buzz in particular in the run up to and following release - this movie is going to live or die on Harley and the Joker, regardless of who actually has top billing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
So they're going for the Green Lantern route? Planning ahead for a sequel before the actual film come out. When it does come out and turns out to be shit, little by little forget that they says about making a sequel.
I don't think there was much little by little with Green Lantern, so much as a wet splattery thumping sound as bricks were shat.

Given that the movie ends on a sequel hook (Sinestro no less!) they clearly weren't expecting anything less than a mega hit. On the plus side we got Deadpool as a direct consequence of Mr Reynolds no longer being tied into an ongoing contract.

Good trade I say.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Are you even remotely surprised? This is the studio that announced an entire cinematic universe essentially on the back of a single movie yet to be released.

This is nothing. Hell, they say "planned," but that doesn't mean the first movie has sequel bait (though I would bet good money it does) or that Warner is the party planning it. The way it's written, it could just mean Ayer is hoping they'll pick up a second movie, one he's planning on making.

Also, in fairness to DC, if Hulk and Iron Man had bombed, we'd be mocking the "Avengers Project," too.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Is anyone surprised? Marvel has plans for films until at least the late 2020s. At least this is a sequel, so I can see the rationale for it. If anything, I'm interested in Bright though.

As for Will Smith, after seeing Concussion, I'm very interested in what he's doing nowadays, so there's that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sixcess said:
Just how strong is he at the box office after the likes of After Earth? At this point it feels like Will Smith needs Suicide Squad more than Suicide Squad needs Will Smith.
Hell, this is probably why Smith is willing to put on a mask.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hawki said:
Is anyone surprised? Marvel has plans for films until at least the late 2020s. At least this is a sequel, so I can see the rationale for it. If anything, I'm interested in Bright though.

As for Will Smith, after seeing Concussion, I'm very interested in what he's doing nowadays, so there's that.
Marvel has plans out to 2020 on the back of a super successful franchise. They didn't announce the whole thing after Iron Man or Incredible Hulk in 2008. In fact, they didn't even sign up Nick Fur...Errr...Samuel L Jackson for the long run for another whole year after that point.

DC has announced ten movies up to 2020 based on the back of one moderately successful movie and the promise that their new franchise movie will be big bank.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Trailers still look slightly cheap at times, keeps worrying me. But I know alot of DC fan boys/girls dying for this to be good. We will see but this film should have been a 15/18(or R rated for those in the states) like Deadpool, think this film walks a very fine line to actually be good.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Something Amyss said:
Hawki said:

Marvel has plans out to 2020 on the back of a super successful franchise. They didn't announce the whole thing after Iron Man or Incredible Hulk in 2008. In fact, they didn't even sign up Nick Fur...Errr...Samuel L Jackson for the long run for another whole year after that point.

DC has announced ten movies up to 2020 based on the back of one moderately successful movie and the promise that their new franchise movie will be big bank.
Well that's because of two reasons first 2008's 'The Incredible Hulk' bombed and second Marvel was working and being financed with separate companies that may not have been interested in a unified universe.

Once Hulk bombed though and Universal who at the time where having a bad run realised they needed some money back on the licence fee they spent on Hulk after two bombs working with Paramount became more accepted then of course Disney stepped in and bought Marvel and paid off Paramount who only had a distribution licence rather than a licence to make films.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
Once Hulk bombed though and Universal who at the time where having a bad run realised they needed some money back on the licence fee they spent on Hulk after two bombs working with Paramount became more accepted then of course Disney stepped in and bought Marvel and paid off Paramount who only had a distribution licence rather than a licence to make films.
Actually Paramount and Disney simply allowed the contract to reach its end without having a new one be made, which is why Paramount distributed all Phase One movies even after the Disney buyout. Marvel's contract was for 6 movies distributed by Paramount with one that would be produced in cooperation with Universal.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Zontar said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
Actually Paramount and Disney simply allowed the contract to reach its end without having a new one be made, which is why Paramount distributed all Phase One movies even after the Disney buyout. Marvel's contract was for 6 movies distributed by Paramount with one that would be produced in cooperation with Universal.
Nope Paramount got a pay out that's why they are in the credits for the Avengers even though Disney distributed it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Something Amyss said:
Hawki said:

Different scenarios. In theory, every MCU is able to stand on its own within the confines of its own namesake (not that that was ever true in reality). My point was that a "Sucide Squad 2" has more basis behind getting greenlit this early in that (in theory) it would be based on the context of its own predecessor rather than the DCEU as a whole.

Roboshi

Jul 28, 2008
The funny thing is WB wanted to do in a couple of years what Marvel spent nearly a decade on (the earliest plans for this were back when they were STARTING the ulitmate comics), and yet with all their failed attempts they have managed to waste a good decade on some pretty bad to passable movies.

They basically keep wanting to build a universe on the merits of one movie, ie the opposite of marvels "use a team of movies to build up to a huge event". Not a terrible idea, just flawed when you don't KNOW the quality of the core movie to build from.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Hawki said:

I don't know what to make of Will Smith. He is a good actor when he wants to be. Look at Pursuit of Happiness, or, as you mentioned, Concussion. The problem is that his action movie roles have all felt... samey lately. When he started his career he was The Fresh Prince, and all of his action roles felt vibrant and energetic. He was cocky, but endearing. Now he's too serious, and has a scowl stuck to his face.

Compare this:

It's like we can see the transformation before our eyes

To this:

Will Smith is at his best when he doesn't take himself too seriously. I'm curious to see how he handles himself in this, as the straight man surrounded by a bunch of nutters.

All in all, I'm really excited for this movie. Some people will ignore it just because it's DC, but the actual trailer looked pretty good. I'm more excited for this then I am any of the new Marvel films.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Well that's because of two reasons first 2008's 'The Incredible Hulk' bombed and second Marvel was working and being financed with separate companies that may not have been interested in a unified universe.
Of course, neither of those are actually true, so that's a pretty bad argument.

Hawki said:
Different scenarios.
My point exactly. They're literally different scenarios, so bringing Marvel up was pointless.