Warner Bros Apologizes For Batman: Arkham Knight, Delays PC DLC

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
People can claim back their money now, so no "Fuck your fixes, we're making DLC" this time, go figure.

Silentpony said:
Why does it still not sound like an apology then?
Well, that's your common sense kicking in you see, telling you how none of this is actually true, and it's just damage control at its finest.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wager it'll be 6 months before the PC version is re-released. Roughly the exact time it would take for a team of professionals to do a decent port of the game.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
They should give us some free DLC to apologise for the terrible launch.
Arkham Knight wasnt anywhere near as bad as Assassins Creed: Unity. Stop being entitled.
I'm entitled to a product that works.
You are, but nobody is under any obligation to give you free content for any reason. Thats what i mean about being entitled.
Normally, I would agree, but if the console versions drop to $40 instead of $70 by the time the PC version works, I would feel justified in expecting a $30 dollar discount if I bought the game for $70 but could only play it when the market value dropped to $40. If not a discount on the season's pass, then a refund of the difference.

As such, if I were the head of WB games, this is what I would be offering when the game works as expected.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
And the split widens.

Pc gamer are mad they don't have a working game

Consoles are mad they have to wait on Dlc

Being honest it's going to be closer to Harley dlc then cold cold heart. Something a modder could pop out in about a day.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
IceStar100 said:
And the split widens.

Being honest it's going to be closer to Harley dlc then cold cold heart. Something a modder could pop out in about a day.
Hi, I'm here to let you in on a little secret, but the hint is in the article title... DLC is only delayed on... wait for it... PC.
So... You might want to amend your statement.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
IceStar100 said:
And the split widens.

Hi, I'm here to let you in on a little secret, but the hint is in the article title... DLC is only delayed on... wait for it... PC.
I would but you see I'm increadbly lazy so meh I chose to be wrong....ish.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
IceStar100 said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
IceStar100 said:
And the split widens.

I would but you see I'm increadbly lazy so meh I chose to be wrong....ish.
Laziness gets even the best of us. I'm too apathetic to be lazy.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Lets see its been what 8, 9 days? and they still haven't put out a patch to fix the PC versions major performance flaws.

So with them promising a status update next week safe to assume we'll be in late July / early August before their is any chance of Knight actually working properly on PC. Overall it sounds like a months delay before putting out the PC version would have been the smart thing to do from the beginning.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
LazyAza said:
Lets see its been what 8, 9 days? and they still haven't put out a patch to fix the PC versions major performance flaws.

So with them promising a status update next week safe to assume we'll be in late July / early August before their is any chance of Knight actually working properly on PC. Overall it sounds like a months delay before putting out the PC version would have been the smart thing to do from the beginning.
I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship

And I quote the wrong person

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Just for fun, I read the announcement as though they filled out a template apology form, and was disturbed at how much it seemed to fit:
We have heard the PC gaming community outcry of disappointment for the initial launch of *NAME OF PRODUCT* on PC. Again, we would like to apologize to you, the fans, and let you know that we are taking full responsibility for releasing a product that did not meet our quality standards, which is why we suspended sales of the game as soon as we understood the issues. The *NAME OF PRODUCT* fans are extremely important to us and our highest priority is ensuring PC users get the full, high quality experience of *NAME OF PRODUCT* they deserve. *NAME OF DEVELOPER* has created an amazing game with *NAME OF PRODUCT* and they are now working closely with us and our partners to ensure that we offer the same experience on PC. Once the PC version is fully updated, *NAME OF DEVELOPER* and all parties will agree that it meets a superior quality bar and we will then make the game available for sale.

Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we?ll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We?ll provide an update on how things are developing next week.

We can also assure you that because of this latest launch, we are modifying the internal review process for all of our games. For those who are waiting for the updated version of the game on PC, please know that we are working on this every day. For the players who are continuing to play *NAME OF PRODUCT* on PC, fixes are continually being made to the game as we await the final updated version.

Our continued focus on getting the right PC fixes in place for the main game has had an impact on the development of all DLC content for the PC version of the game. This means that the *NAME OF DLC* DLC will not be available on *DATE* for those who are currently playing the PC version of the game. We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect.

Thanks again for your continued patience, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
On one hand people are saying the game is completely unplayable on even the lowest settings. On the other hand people are pissed there has been no patch in 2 weeks.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill and understand if it is that broken it's going to take a little longer than that to fix it.

I'm still trying understand the extent of the issue myself. It was fine on my computer on the lowest setting until I tried AMD's beta patch which then made the game run on max (still with the fps cap) . Now I have 70+ hours of game play under my belt....most of the complaints I've seen are about fps cap, texture quality and graphical features. Whilst not great that's not broken.

But yeah this will take time if it is broken for you and you didn't return it your not going to have it repaired. I suspect the first patch is going to come mid-August to early September.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
gigastar said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
gigastar said:
Arkham Knight wasnt anywhere near as bad as Assassins Creed: Unity. Stop being entitled.
But he is entitled. Entitled to a game that works.
Entitled to a working product, yes. Presumably he paid for it, he deserves that much.

However, thats not an entitlement to free content. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
They aren't obligated to give anyone free content, but doing so would actually mean something unlike the empty words they've offered so far.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Well, this is probably the most sensible move. Why sell DLC for a game that isn't for sale.

And that's coming from one of the few people who are actually enjoying Arkham knight on PC.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Sylveria said:
Well.. at least they're being less scummy than last time were they didn't bother to fix it and just kept rolling out the DLC.

I really hope, at least for the PC gamers, this serves as a cautionary tale about pre-ordering stuff.
Well sure, because now people can (and did) refund. No such option last time.

And don't believe the bullshit that WB didn't know about the issues. They did.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
bossfight1 said:
Just for fun, I read the announcement as though they filled out a template apology form, and was disturbed at how much it seemed to fit:
We have heard the PC gaming community outcry of disappointment for the initial launch of *NAME OF PRODUCT* on PC. Again, we would like to apologize to you, the fans, and let you know that we are taking full responsibility for releasing a product that did not meet our quality standards, which is why we suspended sales of the game as soon as we understood the issues. The *NAME OF PRODUCT* fans are extremely important to us and our highest priority is ensuring PC users get the full, high quality experience of *NAME OF PRODUCT* they deserve. *NAME OF DEVELOPER* has created an amazing game with *NAME OF PRODUCT* and they are now working closely with us and our partners to ensure that we offer the same experience on PC. Once the PC version is fully updated, *NAME OF DEVELOPER* and all parties will agree that it meets a superior quality bar and we will then make the game available for sale.

Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we?ll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We?ll provide an update on how things are developing next week.

We can also assure you that because of this latest launch, we are modifying the internal review process for all of our games. For those who are waiting for the updated version of the game on PC, please know that we are working on this every day. For the players who are continuing to play *NAME OF PRODUCT* on PC, fixes are continually being made to the game as we await the final updated version.

Our continued focus on getting the right PC fixes in place for the main game has had an impact on the development of all DLC content for the PC version of the game. This means that the *NAME OF DLC* DLC will not be available on *DATE* for those who are currently playing the PC version of the game. We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect.

Thanks again for your continued patience, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.
Pointless and meaningless exercise, that would work with any statement like this.

Due to refunds, this situation has never happened before and the old generic "Don't care, buy DLC Statement", the one that says DLC is more important than the base game, no longer works for WB. They had to write a new generic "Grovelling Apologetic Statement". The old Generic never worked for the consumer, but thanks to Steam's no refunds policy, no recourse existed before.

Also, don't thank Valve/Steam for finally allowing refunds. Thank the EU for dragging Valve/Steam to their courts and forcing them to obey the EU laws. The same laws that existed when Steam started up, years ago.
As to why it's not refunds in the EU only, after the paid mods debacle showed the power of the internet consumer, no way would the internet accept regional refunds. It would have made the mods uproar, a simple showing of teeth, Valve would have been torn limb from limb in comparison.
So valve get no credit for finally obeying basic consumer protection laws, after years of abusing the same laws.

gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
I'm entitled to a product that works.
You are, but nobody is under any obligation to give you free content for any reason. Thats what i mean about being entitled.

endtherapture said:
Given the scale of Rocksteady's fuck up with Arkham Knight, if they wanna sell any DLC on PC, they'll have to do something special to regain our trust.
For most people, simply delivering something that works is enough. If thats not enough for you, then youre free to abstain and nobody will think less of you for it.
For most people, simply delivering something that works is enough, but only when it's works right first time. Withdrawing a product to get it right, isnt the same at all. Those who bought this can't abstain after that purchase, it's way to late by then.
Stop calling people entitled for stating that WB should offer some sort of financial recompense. Those who refunded got all their money back, those who didn't refund and are waiting for a fix, also deserve some sort of recompense.
I'm not talking about any legal obligations, that's covered by a full refund. This is a moral obligation and basiclly good customer relations. Providing both, good will and good publicity, when the company is in dire need of them.

There is a long tradition of businesses doing exactly this sort of thing, for sound long term financial reasons. They take a short term loss of profit, to gain respect and good will, engendering long term customer loyalty.
Companies like CD Projekt Red, gain customer loyalty. Not by never making mistakes, but by rectifying those mistakes and when appropriate, providing some sort of financial recompence, like cheaper or free DLC. Some will even going as far as creating a pool of pre-existing good will, by providing free DLC anyway, even when they have no need to apologise for anything.

So nobodies being entitled for suggesting, those who've not rejected the game by refunding, should also get some sort of financial recompence. for their loyalty to the franchise and/or publisher/developer, if for no other reason.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
endtherapture said:
"to apologize for broken game we will give you free DLC that you cannot play because the game is still broken."

great plan!

Adam Jensen said:
Why do they keep saying that the game didn't meet their quality standard? They knew about the problems and they released it anyway. Clearly they have no issues with abysmal quality.
"Quality standard" is a codeword to "what we can get away with" and clearly they couldnt get away with this one.

gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
Your broken leg isnt as bad as that other guys, stop being entitled and ask for treatment!

He is entitled to compensation for being deceived by the publisher.

gigastar said:
Entitled to a working product, yes. Presumably he paid for it, he deserves that much.

However, thats not an entitlement to free content. A line has to be drawn somewhere.
He is entitled to a compensation, in this case he wants that compensation to be in a form of DLC.

gigastar said:
For most people, simply delivering something that works is enough. If thats not enough for you, then youre free to abstain and nobody will think less of you for it.
that ship has already sailed, though. they already failed to deliver something that works. now its time for compensation.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Strazdas said:
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
Your broken leg isnt as bad as that other guys, stop being entitled and ask for treatment!
Fucking stupid analogy. Your leg isnt a product you pay for unless you had to get your original one amputated in the first place.

Strazdas said:
He is entitled to compensation for being deceived by the publisher.

gigastar said:

He is entitled to a compensation, in this case he wants that compensation to be in a form of DLC.
gigastar said:
that ship has already sailed, though. they already failed to deliver something that works. now its time for compensation.
He is entitled to a refund. Which all distributors that offered Arkham Knight on PC have provided.

And next time, maybe he will think twice about preordering.

Strazdas said:
endtherapture said:
"to apologize for broken game we will give you free DLC that you cannot play because the game is still broken."

great plan!
In the very same post in which you try to chew me out for saying someone isnt entitled to free content, you chew out the guy i originally quoted for wanting free content.

Way to remain consistent.

Please dont post while drunk.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
gigastar said:
Fucking stupid analogy. Your leg isnt a product you pay for unless you had to get your original one amputated in the first place.
I was pointing out your usage of fallacy of relative privy. nothing more.

He is entitled to a refund. Which all distributors that offered Arkham Knight on PC have provided.

And next time, maybe he will think twice about preordering.
No. He is entitled to a refund NO MATTER the state of product. He is additionally entitled to MORE than a refund due to WB deceiving him in the purchase.

In the very same post in which you try to chew me out for saying someone isnt entitled to free content, you chew out the guy i originally quoted for wanting free content.

Way to remain consistent.

Please dont post while drunk.
I guess it wasnt clear enough that that part was a joke.