Warner Bros. Shelves Wonder Woman TV Show

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Warner Bros. Shelves Wonder Woman TV Show

Bad timing takes the rap for the Wonder Woman revival's failure to find a network to call its own.

It looks like golden lassos and invisible jets won't become a regular fixture on our TV screens. At least, not for a while, as Warner Bros. has shelved David E. Kelley's proposed Wonder Woman TV show after it failed to secure a broadcast deal.

Sources blame the situation on "unfortunate timing." While Warner's CW channel would have been an ideal fit, it was unable to afford the show, so the team had to look elsewhere. Representatives showed Kelly's pilot script to Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC. Fox turned the script down, but it was apparently never thought to be a good fit for the network anyway, and was only shown as a courtesy.

ABC's refusal was said to be political, as parent company, Disney, also owns Marvel - main rival to Wonder Woman owner, DC. It's thought that ABC preferred to focus on developing Marvel properties, rather than on a rival's character. As for the two remaining networks, CBS was unable to reach a consensus about the show, and NBC is supposedly in a transition period between two heads of programming. This made it impossible to reach a deal for the amount of money Kelly would have needed to make the show he'd imagined.

This doesn't necessarily spell doom for the project, as there's nothing stopping Warner Bros. from attempting to secure a deal again at a later date. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that that second chance will come any time soon.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/tv-wonder-woman-not-going-at-this-time/] via CBR [http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/01/08/warner-bros-shelves-wonder-woman/]

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
To do wonderwoman well, you'd need to infuriate the nerd fans. First by losing that rediculous costume.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Yay! now David E. Kelly can do what everyone needs. A show about She-Hulk, I mean a superhuman-lawyer who can break the fourth wall? It'd be fantastic

Throw in Doc Samson (super-powered pschiatrist) as her neighbour/roomate/colleague and guest appearances from Daredevil, in costume and across the bench in court. Tie it in with the Alias and possible heroes for hire shows and you've got continuity in both film and tv. Ocaisonal guest appearances from Tony Stark. Fuck yeah!

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Seems like nobody what anybody does, Wonder Woman will never get her own tv show/theatrical film.

This is getting a little bit ridiculous.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
Gahars said:
Seems like nobody what anybody does, Wonder Woman will never get her own tv show/theatrical film.

She's had both, actually. They were just rather bad and quickly forgotten. I think the remainder of the physical VHS tapes are buried next to the E.T. Atari game carts in the New Mexico desert.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Thaaaaank you!!

I would much rather a movie than a TV show. I don't even like Wonder Woman and I was insulted when I first heard that they wanted to make a show out of it.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Is it just me or is Wonder Woman one of those well known brands that no one want anything to do with.

Personally never read anything of Wonder Woman, but she just feel so bland to me...

WolfThomas said:
Yay! now David E. Kelly can do what everyone needs. A show about She-Hulk, I mean a superhuman-lawyer who can break the fourth wall? It'd be fantastic

Throw in Doc Samson (super-powered pschiatrist) as her neighbour/roomate/colleague and guest appearances from Daredevil, in costume and across the bench in court. Tie it in with the Alias and possible heroes for hire shows and you've got continuity in both film and tv. Ocaisonal guest appearances from Tony Stark. Fuck yeah!
I would pay to watch that.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
My theory is that while most everyone supports the idea of a Wonder Woman TV show existing, the truth is nobody actually wants to sit down and watch the damn thing.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Once again DC Comics proves their utter incompetence at making material for any hero of theirs who doesn't wear a cape.

PLEASE let Green Lantern break this cycle!!!

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
WolfThomas said:

That sounds like it could be hilarious.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
WittyInfidel said:
Gahars said:

She's had both, actually. They were just rather bad and quickly forgotten. I think the remainder of the physical VHS tapes are buried next to the E.T. Atari game carts in the New Mexico desert.
Hey, I have the DVD sets for the Lynda Carter show...well, actually, my mom got them and gave them to me as a joke. But anyway, my (ten year old) sister loves them, to death. Also, you should probably consider the era in which it was made.