Warner Bros. Still Planning On Green Lantern Sequel

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I haven't been paying close attention to the news for The Dark Knight Rises, but last I knew Nolan had very specific methods of doing his Batman movies; He stated that as long as he was doing them Robin would never appear as a main or secondary character. I've also assumed that Nolan's Batman adaptations were always on the more "realistic" side of the comics; Namely, that he wouldn't use ..."supernatural", for lack of a better word, enemies such as Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy. Ra's al Ghul was technically "immortal" in the comics and sure, Scarecrow has the ability to make people insane but he's crafted them into "real" characters.

Besides, the last Batman movie that had those two enemies was "Batman & Robin" and while I personally like it (being something around the age of eight when I first saw it) even I admit that it was a terrible adaptation of a comic book hero. I don't doubt that if anyone could pull them off well it would be Nolan, but I can't expect he'd do that even if he did happen to continue making Batman films. The easiest way to "jump the shark" is to not let a franchise die when it should have (See: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Final Fantasy, The Simpsons, the Batman films from the 80's-90's, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.), and that's the last thing Nolan would want to do I think.

Oh wait, this thread was about Green Lantern? Sorry.
Him seeding the sequels doesn't necessarily mean that the sequels will have his hand in them - an example being Terminator. That addresses my meaning behind a Robin appearing.

Freeze and Ivy can easily be built into quasi-realistic entities. Freeze, for example can quite easily have liquid nitrogen at his disposal instead of a laser beam.

Poison Ivy , admittedly, will need toning down - but it's still possible to have her weapon of choice circling toxins without her supernatural abilities.

Your points about killing a franchise through saturation is true, but studios don't care as long as revenue stays above budget. I bet my life on there being future Batman films with these villains and the rest - with the spin offs as well. Regardless of whether Nolan fancies it or not.

No one cares about Green Lantern...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Electric Alpaca said:
shrekfan246 said:
I haven't been paying close attention to the news for The Dark Knight Rises, but last I knew Nolan had very specific methods of doing his Batman movies; He stated that as long as he was doing them Robin would never appear as a main or secondary character. I've also assumed that Nolan's Batman adaptations were always on the more "realistic" side of the comics; Namely, that he wouldn't use ..."supernatural", for lack of a better word, enemies such as Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy. Ra's al Ghul was technically "immortal" in the comics and sure, Scarecrow has the ability to make people insane but he's crafted them into "real" characters.

Besides, the last Batman movie that had those two enemies was "Batman & Robin" and while I personally like it (being something around the age of eight when I first saw it) even I admit that it was a terrible adaptation of a comic book hero. I don't doubt that if anyone could pull them off well it would be Nolan, but I can't expect he'd do that even if he did happen to continue making Batman films. The easiest way to "jump the shark" is to not let a franchise die when it should have (See: Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Final Fantasy, The Simpsons, the Batman films from the 80's-90's, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc.), and that's the last thing Nolan would want to do I think.

Oh wait, this thread was about Green Lantern? Sorry.
Him seeding the sequels doesn't necessarily mean that the sequels will have his hand in them - an example being Terminator. That addresses my meaning behind a Robin appearing.

Freeze and Ivy can easily be built into quasi-realistic entities. Freeze, for example can quite easily have liquid nitrogen at his disposal instead of a laser beam.

Poison Ivy , admittedly, will need toning down - but it's still possible to have her weapon of choice circling toxins without her supernatural abilities.

Your points about killing a franchise through saturation is true, but studios don't care as long as revenue stays above budget. I bet my life on there being future Batman films with these villains and the rest - with the spin offs as well. Regardless of whether Nolan fancies it or not.

No one cares about Green Lantern...
All right, I'll concede the point to you there. It would be possible to create them as "realistic" enemies, but I maintain my belief that as long as Nolan is the director of the movies he won't let them get so far-fetched. Which is where I'll also concede to your first point - If Nolan's hand isn't actually deep into the other Batman movies, I'd find it highly likely for characters like Robin, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Nightwing, or possibly even Killer Croc to appear.

That's where I go back to my "jumping the shark" statement - Just because those movies could possibly be made doesn't mean they'll be good. After all, they've been done wrongly before. And I suspect that if those movies were to be pushed into production, Nolan would drop the job. But again, I haven't been following The Dark Knight Rises or anything, so I don't know if he wants to make movies with those characters or not. There are plenty of more realistic enemies for Batman to face - Dr. Hugo Strange, Zsasz, Red Hood, some of the more insane ones like Mad Hatter, Riddler, or The Ventriloquist. They could even technically make Harley Quinn into a primary enemy since they've introduced The Joker but would...struggle, to say the least, in bringing him back.

So TL;DR: I agree with you that it's highly likely those movies will be made, but in my opinion I don't believe Nolan would let his name be associated with movies that contained those characters.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
It's a superhero movie that lacks super heroics compared to it's cousins. I'm pretty sure a lot of the other movies has a lot more cape-time than this one, so what's the point to it? It was like most of the transformers movies; We came (or rather a lot of us didn't come in GL's case) for the flash and bang... but got an insecure twit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I saw the commercials for the original, and decided it looked terrible.
And I was totally right. I got to save that money to see Captain America and Thor instead.

Of course, the first movie trailer for Green Lantern gave me other clues...(cut length, generic "we have no confidence in writing a soundtrack for this" music).

That said, you would THINK that Warner Bros. isn't going to follow up on a bomb (an incredibly expensive bomb at that) with another movie of the same type.