Warner Bros. Sued for Pirating Anti-Piracy Technology

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Sadly, Warner is going to win this suit because they're the huge corporation with near infinite pockets.

Counterwise

May 1, 2010
joshthor said:
well thats ironic. more ironic than the time i pirated a movie about pirates
What might be more ironic is you getting a ban, because accepting piracy in these forums equals suicide.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
AHHAHAHAH. Maybe that will shut them up.

On a side note: If movies and shows didn't bombard me with unskippable FBI warnings, trailers, and a bunch of other crap that I have to sort through before getting to the content, I might feel less bad about them being pirated.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Wow. The only it could be better would be if the German company also pirated the anti-piracy software. Metapiracy on so many levels...

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
This is about as surprising as the "twist ending" in an M. Night Shyamia-howdoyouspellit-ian movie.

In Dutch there is a saying, "Zoals de waard is vertrouwt hij zijn gasten" (somewhat close to "Ill doers are ill deemers") -- if this is true, Warner Bros. is guilty of theft, explaining why they apparently think they must treat all their customers like criminals in turn.

gareth_gobblecoque

Apr 7, 2010
wow, so they are using pirate-anti-pirate tech? and they don't like US stealing their stuff? is it ok if you make alot of money from it?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
The only way this could've been better would have been if the anti-pirating technology had been pirated from Pirates of the Caribbean.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
The government should fine them billions for crap like this.... the public can never do as much damage to business as business can.....

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Sadly, given corporate America's general lack of accountability, it's hard to say if this was an honest mistake or not.

MadPaladin

Mar 26, 2009
I find it interesting that MPV took so long to file. I think there's more to this story than meets the eye.

Also, note the mention of a mis-file of the patent using a patent name owned by Warner above. I wouldn't be surprised if WB submitted their own patent for the tech after the confidential disclosure from MPV in order to secure patent rights. This assumes MPV isn't the one pulling something here.

An example: Perhaps MPV didn't get the patent fully registered before disclosing to WB. Now WB goes and patents the same thing, using their bottomless pockets to expedite the process, (or something along those lines.) Whether through this or other means, WB may have succeeded in giving themselves the legal foothold they need to claim legitimacy.

Now, I hate WB (and many similar criminal-corporations) so much that I typically avoid their media, even when it's 'free'. Nonetheless, I expect WB will win this, even if they deserve to lose it.

-

Also, in response to Blue-State's post above, many of the anti-piracy technologies may be a fumble-fingered and frustrating for legit users in their designs, but the technology incorporated is at the request of media-controlling corporations. It's Warner's fault (and that of similar corporations) that they use the technology, not MPV's. It's Warner's fault that they criminalize such a wide variety of uses as piracy, not MPV's. And it's Warner who is apparently going and practicing hypocrisy in regards to their anti-piracy values.

MPV may build the weapons, but Warner is the one who decides where and when to point and shoot.