Was bioshock infinite the worst AAA FPS ever made?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
The worst? Nah.
The best? No, but it is stil miles ahead of Bioshock 1 atleast.

And again, it is really annoying that you keep making threads that are more hyperbole than anything else.

Just because a game lies its focus on the narative, and makes the level design linear it does not automatically mean a game is bad. Sometimes it is about the story, not about the exploration.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The reason I hate Bioshock Infinite isn't because it's a bad game (it's mediocre at worst), it's because it is so contrived in terms of plot and gameplay and how they interact. Bioshock had these problems too but not quite as bad. The entire Bioshock series is a poor man's System Shock. It has a more imaginative setting but that's all it really has going for it

"Worst AAA FPS ever made" though? That's pushing it. Bioshock Infinite is gorgeous and upon first playthrough was pretty exciting. It's a memorable game, though the memorable parts are diamonds in a bog of mediocrity. I wouldn't really want to play through it again to be honest. System Shock 2 on the other hand? Gets better with each playthrough in my opinion.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dizchu said:
The reason I hate Bioshock Infinite isn't because it's a bad game (it's mediocre at worst), it's because it is so contrived in terms of plot and gameplay and how they interact. Bioshock had these problems too but not quite as bad. The entire Bioshock series is a poor man's System Shock. It has a more imaginative setting but that's all it really has going for it

"Worst AAA FPS ever made" though? That's pushing it. Bioshock Infinite is gorgeous and upon first playthrough was pretty exciting. It's a memorable game, though the memorable parts are diamonds in a bog of mediocrity. I wouldn't really want to play through it again to be honest. System Shock 2 on the other hand? Gets better with each playthrough in my opinion.
Imaginative? Bioshock infinate is glorifyed Steampunk. A genre already covered by other games like Arcanum and Fable 2/3.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Samtemdo8 said:
Imaginative? Bioshock infinate is glorifyed Steampunk. A genre already covered by other games like Arcanum and Fable 2/3.
Ehh, it's still less overdone than sci-fi and cyberpunk, though cyberpunk has kinda diminished in popularity so I dunno.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
While it is rather overrated as far as games go, it's far from the worst FPS ever.

Its mechanics are functional, and the visual design is pretty top notch, to say the least.

It does have a plethora of problems though, clunky gameplay, a nonsensical storyline, thematic dissonance, the list goes on.

If anyone has 30+ minutes on his hands and is interested in a well-thought review of the game, Matthewmatosis did an excellent critique of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4

Aug 1, 2010
Have you played literally any Call of Duty, Medal of Honor or Battlefield single player campaign in the last 5 years?

Infinite is unquestionably overrated, but it's not really even bad, let alone worst AAA shooter ever.

Feb 7, 2016
What's your favorite game?

Because that's the worst.

Why?

Fuck, I don't know...its use of color. Your favorite game has really ugly colors.

There, I added about as much "discussion" as you would if I gave you an appropriate reply. I'm going on break.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
LetalisK said:
You know, I always had a problem with BI, but could never quite out my finger on it. It felt like I had to will myself through it and you nailed why. The only other complaint I'd have is I had problems with part of the ending, specifically the debt and how Booker paid it. I found it to be a stretch that made me roll my eyes and that's saying something since I deal with parents in real life that are of the lowest caliber.
Booker killing Comstock, or Booker 'dying'? Or the original deal to give up Elizabeth?

What still worked for me was the emotional arc, and the spectacle. There was some exquisitely beautiful and moving sequences, and given few games can ever hit those heights I'm very forgiving of it. Well, apart from the braindead gameplay... which is admittedly a considerable stumbling block. If I play it again I'll just shove it on the lowest diff and try to breeze through the action.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
even the site itself was overpraising Ellie:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/10281-Meeting-Ellie-How-an-NPC-Became-the-Face-of-the-Game

Jeez writer you calling her the Face of Gaming is a bit much huh? And she only just appeared in one game :p
Erm, if you read the article, you'd notice that claim is not made at all. And the title clearly states "face of the game" and not "face of gaming". A bit hard to mistake one for the other, given that one is composed of an article and a word, the other isn't. Also, "The Game" refers to the one she appears in, not even "every game ever".

From the article said:
But rather than attaching their adoration to Joel, as certain focus testing might have predicted, fans have decided that Ellie is the star of the show, regardless of the fact that we won't be playing as her.
Which relates to the title.

Feel free to dislike stuff, but please don't let it cloud your senses, for the article is very obviously, not what you present it as.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
What? Oh. Uh, sure. Yes. Bioshock Infinite was the worst AAA FPS ever. Who needs story? Who needs compelling characters? Who needs fun, dynamic FPS combat?

Bioshock Infinite didn't live up to exactly and precisely the hype train that preceded it, and failed to literally fellate me upon release. Obviously that's what makes it a worse game than, say, Daikatana or Aliens: Colonial Marines or Duke Nukem Forever, in spite of each of those games having a similarly ridiculous level of hype surrounding them and turning out to be unfun buggy/highly problematic messes.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Silvanus said:
Bioshock Infinite was pretty great, imo. Gunplay wasn't amazing but was functional enough. Atmosphere was brilliant, always the series' strong point. Level design wasn't always as straightforward as that pic implies, and was pretty well planned in places. Enjoyed it a lot.

Worst AAA FPS I've played is probably Quake 4.
Ooh, speaking of Id, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. All the boredom of quake 4 mixed with the desecrated corpse of the greatest f2p shooter and nonfunctional netcode

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
No. /thread

More detailed answer? The graphics were colourful, the story was interesting (although the ending was a bit confusing), Elizabeth was an NPC who actually helped instead of getting in the way, voice acting was amazing, the combination of guns and vigors allowed for some creative tactical gameplay.

All of those points elevate it above CoD and all the other super serious boring as hell real world military shooters.

Heck, its not even the worst Bioshock game, because that award goes to #2.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Darth Rosenberg said:
Booker killing Comstock, or Booker 'dying'? Or the original deal to give up Elizabeth?
The original deal, specifically Booker's motivation. It felt like an after thought. Like they hadn't planned it ahead and wrote the story in the sequence the gamer experiences it so when they got to the part of explaining why Booker gave up his child, they just threw in a half-baked reason. It made no sense to me and really hurt the overall experience for me.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
A new skill that I have acquired is being able to tell a B-Cell thread from a non-B-Cell thread, only by reading the title.

So far, I have only been wrong once.

OT: No, it isn't. Don't be silly. There are much, much worse AAA FPS games out there. BioShock Infinite didn't have 10/10 great combat, but oh boy, no way is it WORST GAME EVAR. Please, B-Cell. Please. There are other colours in this world than black and white.