was inception really hard too understand?

WithmirTeigh

Jun 21, 2010
The only thing I thought was confusing about Inception was why telling apart limbo and the real world was so hard. I guess it is understood that you lose your orientation or short term memory falling into limbo but why did DiCaprio know he was in limbo. If you do know it is limbo at first you could just off yourself and be done with it. The thing they spin (forgot what they called it) should have told them if it is real or fake and whether or not they should off themselves make the fear of limbo moot.
Also while the movie was not hard to follow, there was several areas around the plot that didn't seem stuck together very well.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
I'm pretty poor at understanding even basic movies, but I had no problem at all with Inception.

Maybe I was just expecting to be baffled so paid extra close attention the whole way through.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
strum4h said:
It was not complicated. Go watch Memento and try and figure that out.
Is it good or sad that I thought Memento was pretty straight-forward as well? I mean, all you had to get used to was the fact that the movie was basically playing backwards. It was rather easy to understand after you got used to that, at least for me... EDIT: Actually, I think the only movie that had me going "what is this, I don't even" was the 2nd matrix movie.

OT: Yeah, I thought Inception was rather straight-forward and easy to understand as well. I think it was the whole "dream within a dream" thing that confused people. Still thought it was a great movie, just not as complex as other people make it out to be.

butterkniferampage

Feb 25, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
I wont take offense, since your spelling is terrible and even though that says shit all about you it does make you come off as a little dull.

On topic, well, it was kinda straight forward stuff until the last half hour where I started struggling. Following like 4 levels of dream and 3 groups of characters at once isnt something you can do with ease.
English clearly isn't his first language. Don't be too judgmental about these sort of things.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
It's not complicated, it's just very badly written.

.-.
Yeah, I kind of likened it to the Matrix. Awesome concept, could have been executed better. the plot was notably thrown in because they needed to have one.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
airrazor7 said:
I thought inception was very straight forward but I was also puzzled by the amount of people I encountered who had trouble understanding the movie. It's kind of sad to know that Hollywood thought this movie was to confusing for the general public but at the same time it does shed light on why "simpler" movies gain larger revenue than more clever films.
Although Inception did very well in the box office.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
nope...only confusing part was the very start, and probably not a good Idea to have thr guy with the thickest accent explain important plot details

flaviok79

Feb 22, 2011
Well, I must be stupid, because I don't think it is so straight foward as many of you are stating it to be.

1-It is not always clear if Cob is dreaming or awake. The pursuit scene where he gets pinned between two buildings, and Ken Watanabe magically appears in a car to save the day... that's ambiguous;
2- Some scenes Cob wears a wedding ring, in others don't. And even though it is claimed that he is married in the dream (so wears the ring) and a widdow awake (not wearing ring), it is still confusing;
3- The children... There are 2 couples of child actors in different ages that play his children... are the children that Mal tries to show him in the last dream the real ones, or a deception?
4 - When the plane lands, everithing goes so smoothly it reeks of a dream. And there is not a glimpse of the dream machine, cables or anything on Ken's or Cob's arms...;
5 - Whas Maul right, and he is trapped in a dream from which his family is attempting to make him wake?
6 - The damned top... it does or doesn't fall? And why doesn't he care? Did he give up and only whishes to live that reality, whatever it is?
7 - Did Chris Nolan performed an Inception in audiences minds? A very elegant "Mind-f$%k", if you will?

And for all the brainiacs here that say they understood it all like it was "American Pie", can someone answer my doubts in a straight foward manner?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I didn't think so. Sure it takes a minute to understand the mechanics and wrap your head around dream within a dream concept, but it is straight forward.

VicunaBlue said:
Here's a message to the ever-modest (lol) population of the escapist:

NO ONE THOUGHT INCEPTION WAS CONFUSING. People were annoyed at it because it was trying really, really hard to SEEM confusing, which many people took as an insult.

I'm expecting someone to quote me and post some passive-aggressive anecdotal claim like "Well everyone That I know who saw the movie thought it was confusing..."

Come at me, bruh
I don't think anyone says "bruh". They say "bro" or "bra".

Anyway, only two people I know said "it takes a few watches to fully get it". Everyone else heard the same thing and watched it twice and thought "yeah, I got nothing new out of that". I don't know if they mean "it takes a few watches to catch everything" or "dammit, this plot is confusing as shit, I need to watch that again". There are many media that are the former (I have seen Ocean's 11, 12, and 13 dozens of times and I am still catching things) and very few that are the latter.

jumjalalabash said:
Its not complicated. People just don't like thinking during movies.
Or ever....

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
I dont think that its because people didn't understand inception, I think its more along the lines that the movie was trying to be complex and failed terribly at it.

Its like a taco, inside of a taco, inside of a taco bell which is also a KFC

Lavi

Sep 20, 2008
It was simple. People don't like thinking. Excuse me while I rewatch Angel's Egg or Serial Experiments Lain (yeah, one anime movie and the other a series, I'm on an anime binge).

I prefer my complex mindfuck to require more than one watching.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
flaviok79 said:
Well, I must be stupid, because I don't think it is so straight foward as many of you are stating it to be.

1-It is not always clear if Cob is dreaming os awake. The pursuit scene where he gets pinned between two buildings, and Ken Watanabe magically appears in a car to save the day... that's ambiguous;
2- Some scenes Cob wears a wedding ring, in others don't. And even though it is claimed that he is married in the dream (so wears the ring) and a widdow awake (not wearing ring), it is still confusing;
3- The children... There are 2 couples of child actors in different ages that play his children... are the children that Mal tries to show him in the last dream the real ones, or a deception?
4 - When the plane lands, everithing goes so smoothly it reeks of a dream. And there is not a glimpse of the dream machine, cables or anything on Ken's or Cob's arms...;
5 - Whas Maul right, and he is trapped in a dream from which his family is attempting to make him wake?
6 - The damned top... it does or doesn't fall? And why doesn't he care? Did he give up and only whishes to live that reality, whatever it is?
7 - Did Chris Nolan performed an Inception in audiences minds? A very elegant "Mind-f$%k", if you will?

And for all the brainiacs here that say they understood it all like it was "American Pie", can someone answer my doubts in a straight foward manner?
1. That is a standard Hollywood trick. People are just "magically" in the right spot at the right time. Another example of this is in the latest Star Trek movie when Kirk meets old Spock. It happens in movies more often than you realize.
2. I don't see how this is a problem.
3. I don't remember seeing more than one actor for each child so I don't know.
4. This isn't a question. Again, this could be another standard Hollywood trick to help end the movie. If you want to pick at plot holes, there are much bigger ones, even in Inception, that can be picked at.
5. The movie seems to suggest she was not.
6. We aren't meant to know. It is meant to be open to interpretation.
"I put that cut there at the end, imposing an ambiguity from outside the film. That always felt the right ending to me ? it always felt like the appropriate 'kick' to me? The real point of the scene ? and this is what I tell people ? is that Cobb isn't looking at the top. He's looking at his kids. He's left it behind. That's the emotional significance of the thing."

"I've been asked the question more times than I've ever been asked any other question about any other film I've made... What's funny to me is that people really do expect me to answer it."
7. What would the idea be? That we might all be in a dream or the subconscious of someone else? Yea, he wouldn't be the first to get people to think that. Hell, The Matrix beat him to that punch and it wasn't even original then.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
It was complex i suppose, but it's all laid out and explained beforehand. Now Sucker Punch, I still can't make real sense of that.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
As see it, if you can pay attention to a movie for 2 hours it's not too complicated.

Everything that you needed to undrstand the story was provided. If you zone out and start thinking about other things, then you may be confused.

Pretty much teh same as Watchmen - people complained that was too complicated, too. Again, if you pay attention and actually watch the movie, you shouldn't be too confused.