Was it Homophobic?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Ironically given the literal definition of the word, being uncomfortable with it is probably closer to homophobic than bigotry is, but I digress.

No, there's nothing wrong with being uncomfortable when witnessing gay affection. I don't have anything against people taking shits and it's completely natural to do so but I still don't want to stare down someone dropping a deuce.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I really don't see how it's more provocative than a pic of a straight couple making out.
Then again, where i'm from peopel don't seem to be as offended by sexuality (straight and gay alike) as across the atlantic.

While i wouldn't neccecerily call it hompphobic, i'd call it intolerant, not because it's gay guys, but simply because it's a fucking poster, i mean, it's not someone posting peep-show pics of your mom in the shower to humilliate you, it's just a fucking poster.
If a simple piece of papaer on a wall, not aimed at you can piss you off, you got issues IMO.
No-ones forcing you to study it, or wank to it, or even to care about it.

Do you rage when you see election posters of whoever you're not voting for as well? if not then why not? it's in your face the same way, with something you don't stand for, and if you got no problem with homosexuals, it should be even worse, cause it's prolly (simplifying politics, i know) someone who wants to drive your country in an economic direction you don't like.

IMO, people needs to get their shit together, and stop caring about all the little insignificant things they come by, instead of going "ZOMGWTF, THATS NOT HOW I WOULD HAVE DONE THIS... RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!"

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Amrosorma said:
Sneeze said:
Satire is often the best way to make a point. I do actually completely agree with it.
Well as long as you're comfortable with being made fun of by the Onion, more power to you.
Way to miss the point... It's making fun of the fact these gay people go way over the top and immensely reinforce the already negative stereotype making people think all gays are huge flamers thereby increasing homophobia and knocking "acceptance back by 50 years".

Lokithrsourcerer

Nov 24, 2008
scared of the homeless... wait let me get my glasses.... oh I thought you said Hobophobic

Homophobic essentially means "an irrational fear of homosexuals" the cultural change to its use means it has come to include people who hate or oppress people who are homosexual probably due to people believing that this hatred is born from fear.

Personally I couldn't care less what you are into and I'd probably be out of a job without the gay community. I DJ for adoniscaberet.co.uk a hen party operator owned by and primarily staffed by gay guys

Edit: OK I really do need glasses I thought the topic was "what is homophobic" lol I'm such a dumb-ass

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
Sneeze said:
Amrosorma said:
Sneeze said:
Satire is often the best way to make a point. I do actually completely agree with it.
Well as long as you're comfortable with being made fun of by the Onion, more power to you.
Way to miss the point... It's making fun of the fact these gay people go way over the top and immensely reinforce the already negative stereotype making people think all gays are huge flamers thereby increasing homophobia and knocking "acceptance back by 50 years".
I thought it was making fun of ignorant and bigoted straight people who can't even see past their own heterosexual privilege.

This is akin to saying "I like black people as long as they do exactly as I say."

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Amrosorma said:
Sneeze said:
Amrosorma said:
Sneeze said:
I thought it was making fun of ignorant and bigoted straight people who can't even see past their own heterosexual privilege.

This is akin to saying "I like black people as long as they do exactly as I say."
Hmm... Interesting thought. Maybe it was both?

Even so, I don't mind being "made fun of" but even then I'm not your typical camp rainbows and unicorns kind of guy nor do I find those who are attractive. I went to a gay pride event once and I've never felt more out of place in my life. Twas a strange experience.

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
Sneeze said:

Even so, I don't mind being "made fun of" but even then I'm not your typical camp rainbows and unicorns kind of guy nor do I find those who are attractive. I went to a gay pride event once and I've never felt more out of place in my life. Twas a strange experience.
I think that's part of the point for a pride parade. That strangeness you feel is something that minorities of all colors and sexualities feel on a daily basis.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Amrosorma said:
Sneeze said:

I think that's part of the point for a pride parade. That strangeness you feel is something that minorities of all colors and sexualities feel on a daily basis.
Sorta makes sense I guess, somewhat ironic though.

Dragonclaw

Dec 24, 2007
Amrosorma said:
Dragonclaw said:
I have no problem whatsoever with light displays of affection. Feel free to hold hands, hug, heck even kiss a bit (no need to swallow each others faces no matter the people involved. I do think that there are certainly segments who set their own cause of acceptance back almost intentionally by seeing what they can do to "freak people out"...having pride is GREAT...leading each other around in leashes while spanking each other in assless chaps is not going to help anyone be seen as normal...and for the record there's nothing at all wrong with a bit of BDSM, but I don't think parading it down the street is appropriate.

This article in The Onion makes a lot of sense :)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gaypride-parade-sets-mainstream-acceptance-of-gays,351/
You do realize that The Onion is a satirical news source, right?

Do you think all the crazy sex we see in television, movies, music, and video games have led to heterosexual acceptance being set back?
Of course I realize the Onion is satire, but by no means does that exclude it from having a valid point now and then. Again, I think that pride and pride parades can be a very possitive thing, but I also think that there is a time and a place for everything. Being into leather and BDSM is FINE, but probably not something that is best to hold up as a "this is who we are, now accept us". Shock value and intentionally creating discomfort does nothing to help bring equality, it simply gives your adversaries more ammo. The news never shows the parade participants who are the normal people who just want to be treated like everyone else, they take the biggest freaks they can find and use those as the poster children. And I'm sorry if it offends you but leather boys in assless chaps, the bearded guy who always dresses as Wonder Woman, and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgance are just not images that are helpful for people who want AND DESERVE to be treated equally. Be as kinky as you want, with whoever you want, same as I do, but that part of all our lives does belong behind closed doors, either in a home, or in a club MADE for whatever your kink may be :p

As for heterosexual sex and it's portrayal in the media I *DO* think it can cause harm...not really to heterosexuals themselvles as a group, but in the groups we here it from...it certainly helps perpetuate the myth that african american men have no respect for women beyond being bitches and hoes because of how many rap stars like to portray themselves in their lyrics...Is that stereotype a fact? absolutely NOT, but perception is a very powerful thing and the extremes in our society and ALL our groups make those divides wider rather than bringing us all closer together.

X10J

May 15, 2010
clockout said:
A friend of mine saw a very provocative gay rights poster in our school. He was two gay men dressed as hockey players making out. He asked me if was homophobic if he felt uncomfortable with it .
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Homophobia

I should say not. There's a differance between mild discomfort and homophobia.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
I don't have problems with people being different, simply because I don't care. It's their life they can live how they want to, I won't have a problem with it unless their life starts to affect mine.

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
To feel uncomfortable about it doesnt say anything, as long as your not trying to make fun of it or tear it down and throw it away its ok to just feel a little awkward. Though what the poster said was border line "Straight-phobic" if you'll allow me to make up a word. Which takes a step back in gay rights in my opinion.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I agree with you OP, eventually gays and bisexuals (and whatever-sexuals) need to calm down about their sexuality and just continue on with life like everyone else. But I can see why they're celebrating right now. There have been a lot of strides in social equality for them and understandably they're happy about it.

So I say let them have their fun for a bit, but once it's seen as totally normal to be homosexual or bisexual (or whatever-sexual) they need to start acting more like everyone else in regards to how they display their sexuality, i.e. not in everyone's face about it (PDA's are fine, just keep it civil).

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Quick question here: Would anyone be mad at me, or think less of me if I said the described image makes me uncomfortable?

I know a lot of people in the gay movement are real quick to brand people with that "homophobic" term. I wonder if anyone would brand me with it for finding 2 dudes kissing to be gross.

My opinion, I tolerate gay people like I tolerate vegetarians. I have one of each as a roommate actually. That said I wouldn't invite the one to a barbecue or the other to a double date.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
clockout said:
That poster just really bothers me in general. It's really in your face. I understand the fact that the homosexual community hasn't had it easy, but I don't think you need to be all up in peoples face about it. You're homosexual, big fucking deal ( i'm in Canada).I almost want to rip that poster down. Your part of the human fucking race, you sexuality in meaningless and none of my concern.
You are 'up in people's faces' about your sexuality all the time, you just don't see it. You kiss in public and it's fine, we kiss in public and people get uncomfortable. You talk about your marriage, we don't talk about our marriages because until very recently we didn't have them. You talk about your kids, same deal. Is it wrong to want the same rights to talk about yourself and your life which straight people take for granted every day?

If other people's sexuality is meaningless, then your sexuality is meaningless too, so stop organizing your entire social existence around it. If on the other hand your sexuality is meaningful and other people should have to listen to you talk about your little nuclear families and heteronormative sexual dynamics and whether you'd give girl X a good seeing too then don't be surprised if we expect the same rights.

I'm not a fan of the poster or the identity politics behind it, but I'm also not a fan of privileged little heteros who are fine with gays as long as they shut up and are prepared to fake it in public.

At least the 'real' homophobes are honest.

godofallu said:
I know a lot of people in the gay movement are real quick to brand people with that "homophobic" term. I wonder if anyone would brand me with it for finding 2 dudes kissing to be gross.
Going by the core definition of the word, yes. That is a homophobic response.

If you find it startling or shocking or unusual, that is different. But 'gross' implies a deep-rooted disgust which you might want to work through. Repression isn't good for anyone.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I'd get pretty damn scared if I was in the showers and I knew someone in there was a homosexual. Does that make me homophobic? Probably since I have a fear of them in that sort of way but the people who have rallies and protests against homosexuals, I wouldn't call them homophobic, i'd call them prejudice.

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
Dragonclaw said:
The news never shows the parade participants who are the normal people who just want to be treated like everyone else, they take the biggest freaks they can find and use those as the poster children.
Your problem is with the news organizations then and not the pride parade participants.

And I'm sorry if it offends you but leather boys in assless chaps, the bearded guy who always dresses as Wonder Woman, and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgance are just not images that are helpful for people who want AND DESERVE to be treated equally. Be as kinky as you want, with whoever you want, same as I do, but that part of all our lives does belong behind closed doors, either in a home, or in a club MADE for whatever your kink may be :p
This again boils down to "I'm okay with black people as long as they do exactly as I say".

I believe that sex should be viewed as a positive construct. Hiding it behind closed doors has caused us far more problems than being to talk about it openly.

Sex positivity is a good thing, not a bad thing.

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
Random Fella said:
I'd get pretty damn scared if I was in the showers and I knew someone in there was a homosexual. Does that make me homophobic? Probably since I have a fear of them in that sort of way but the people who have rallies and protests against homosexuals, I wouldn't call them homophobic, i'd call them prejudice.
Don't worry. 99% of straight guys are way too unattractive for gay men.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
my thoughts exactly. this is why I can't stand the try hards and attention seekers. I get it. you're gay. I honestly could not care less. you do not need to be up in my face about it. these kinds of people just piss me off....

BellHooks

Feb 16, 2011
BanthaFodder said:
my thoughts exactly. this is why I can't stand the try hards and attention seekers. I get it. you're gay. I honestly could not care less. you do not need to be up in my face about it. these kinds of people just piss me off....
I really hate it when I see straight white people holding hands in public. Or when straight white boys on internet forums post hundreds of posts about the hottest females in a video game or real life. Ugh, I get it. I honestly could not care less. They don't need to be up in my face about it. These kinds of people just piss me off....