Was it prudent of Jennifer Lawrence to take pictures of herself nude in the first place? Y/N?

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
What she did or did not do is irrelevant.

The only relevant information is that someone stole and copied her files and then spread them across the internet. It doesn't matter what those files were. It's illegal and it's wrong to do such a thing.

MyDarkestSleep

Jan 13, 2013
xaszatm said:
Here, let me tell you my response in image form:

[img=https://38.media.tumblr.com/23bada4f7d151707df3ad8e889940159/tumblr_nbaxr1Gvcg1qel5vuo1_500.png]https://38.media.tumblr.com/23bada4f7d151707df3ad8e889940159/tumblr_nbaxr1Gvcg1qel5vuo1_500.png[/img]

Now stop.
*pokes head through lurking window*

Pretty much this. It's not a crime to take nude photos of oneself. It may be distasteful in the eyes of some but it doesn't mean they're to blame if the photos are stolen. She didn't put them on a blog somewhere, her private storage was invaded by a hacker.

To be honest, the "she shouldn't have taken nude photos in the first place" argument reminds me an awful lot of the "women shouldn't wear revealing clothing if they don't want to be raped" debacle. I'm not saying they're exactly parallel but it's the first thing that came to mind when I saw people spouting it on Twitter. Have a good day everyone!

*vanishes back into cyberspace*

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
Victim blaming ... i'm getting a bit annoyed with those words.

Personal accountability ... two words that need to be used more.

Whatever happened to people saying "yep, I fucked up" instead of "oh no, someone else is at fault but not me".

They took the pictures and put them in a place someone could get at them. They fucked up.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sea Sponge said:

Whatever happened to people saying "yep, I fucked up" instead of "oh no, someone else is at fault but not me".

They took the pictures and put them in a place someone could get at them. They fucked up.
First, is there even any evidence that she hasn't owned up to this? Or that she's started throwing blame around?

Second, how is it her fault that somebody else essentially stole and released private material to the internet? If somebody busts into my apartment and steals my game consoles, laptop, and television, it's not my fault that I didn't have them locked up behind a safe with five different door combination codes.

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
shrekfan246 said:
Sea Sponge said:

First, is there even any evidence that she hasn't owned up to this? Or that she's started throwing blame around?

Second, how is it her fault that somebody else essentially stole and released private material to the internet? If somebody busts into my apartment and steals my game consoles, laptop, and television, it's not my fault that I didn't have them locked up behind a safe with five different door combination codes.
I'm not just talking about her, i'm talking about ALL of them.

Someone didn't bust into her home, they got into easy to access storage. You don't save naked pictures where there is a chance of anyone getting hold of them. If you do then don't act shocked when someone does get hold of them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Sea Sponge said:
shrekfan246 said:
Sea Sponge said:

Someone didn't bust into her home, they got into easy to access storage. You don't save naked pictures where there is a chance of anyone getting hold of them. If you do then don't act shocked when someone does get hold of them.
All right...

But in that circumstance "personal accountability" is still on the person who released the images to begin with. The subject of the pictures saying "Yeah, those are naked photos of me" has no relevance other than... what, proving they have confidence in themselves?

So how is it beneficial in any way to accuse them of being at fault for taking the photos in the first place?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Another question is, why does North American media/culture have a weird attitude towards nudity. I hear people going on about how this could be the end of her career. How? because she posed naked privately? Some of them should watch some European movies and how nudity isn't always seen as a "career ender" but a natural thing. Eva Green, French actress, isn't scared of nudity and often wonders herself, why Hollywood is strange about it.

NA media: "OH MY GOD SHES NAKED!! SHOCK HORROR!! Protect the kids!!!
Europe: So? What'swrong with her nudity? Is she hurting anyone?

Back on Point:Firstly, it's her body and she can do what she wants with it. If she wished to send a private pic to a close "friend" privately then that's her choice. However in this case, it was some hacker who decided to invade someone's privacy by taking and exposing something that doesn't concern them. They are in the wrong, NOT the ones who took pics.

It's funny how people will use that excuse of "Well she shouldn't have taken them then" they deny that they are victim blaming. Well lets look at it this way. If a private and personal BANK ACCOUNTS was hacked and all the money just vanished, do people have the right to say, "Well you shouldn't have put your money into the bank then"? No, they don't. They shouldn't blame you for some hacker with an advance hacking system to penetrate a security system in order to get YOUR details. They should be to blame, not you.

When did privacy stopped being appreciated?

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Sea Sponge said:
shrekfan246 said:
Sea Sponge said:

So if I were to steal your credit card information, the it'd be your fault then? After all, credit cards can be accessed online. You probably wanted to get robbed anyways. Personal Accountability has absolutely nothing to do with this. You don't blame the victim, YOU BLAME THE ASSHOLE THAT STOLE IT!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
No, I don't agree.
Once again internet's disturbing lack of empathy is disturbing.

If someone steals something from you, you wouldn't go `Oh well I guess I shouldn't own shit, do you?

BUT the people who do feel she is some way responsible for this aren't going to change their minds about it, I am pretty certain.

Colour Scientist said:
This was a serious invasion of privacy, this shouldn't be a question of what Lawrence should or shouldn't have done.
Yeah.

This kinda reminds me of you know how if women are too cautious around men then they're being horrible generalising bitches but then if something does happen to them it's cause they weren't cautious enough.

You can never be a perfect victim.

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
xaszatm said:
So if I were to steal your credit card information, the it'd be your fault then?
Yes, yes it would.

If I don't secure my information and it gets stolen then I am at fault.

When I got my first car many moons ago I left the door unlocked. It got stolen.

It was my fault.

Look, everyone has their own views on this, mine won't change regardless of what anyone says. They left their photos where someone could access them. They have a responsibility to secure their property, if they don't do that then they share partial blame.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
There's no discussion here, there is only one correct answer. If people want to take pictures of their bits and bobs they should be able to, without the fear that they'll get leaked to the world(when sent to someone they trust). So, not her fault.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I don't care that she takes pictures.

Everyone should have a right to take pictures, absolutely.

However, when you upload them to a system which is known very well as being unsecured, there is some aspect of personal responsibility.

I'm not one to say "It was their fault!", because I don't believe that outright. However, at the end of that day, it was her who chose to use that service.

Basically I believe this.

Phone with pictures on hard drive, not uploaded to any service on the internet: It is not your fault if these images get taken from you, the phone is your property.

Images on Icloud: It is your fault for entrusting these images to somebody whom is unreliable. You wouldn't put your money in a bank which got robbed daily, why would you do it with prviate images? However, it is also the fault of people hacking this service too.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Sea Sponge said:
xaszatm said:
So if I were to steal your credit card information, the it'd be your fault then?
Yes, yes it would.

If I don't secure my information and it gets stolen then I am at fault.
How would that be your fault? You didn't give your card to anyone and you didn't leave it out for the world to see. It's meant to be secure and safe but someone decided to cases trouble and do otherwise. Same with Jennifer Laurence. She didn't advertise those photos, she didn't display it to the world. She kept them hidden and away from everyone but someone decided to cases trouble and do otherwise by invading someone else's privacy. It wouldn't be your fault and it wouldn't be hers. When something is private, it should stay private and not be manipulated.

Sea Sponge

Aug 28, 2014
Paradox SuXcess said:
When something is private, it should say private and not be manipulated.
And that's how things would work in an ideal world.

This has never been an ideal world.

Nothing is private, especially if you are in the public eye.

Leaked nudes are not a new thing, they have been happening for many years. Identity theft is a big money business so yes, it IS my responsibility to make sure my information is secure.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
I don't see why we have to find someone to blame at all. I'm sure this is hardly the first time some celebrity nudes show up without their permission, since some of the "leaks" were old stuff.
This whole affair wouldn't even get all this traction in the first place if the internet media wasn't so eager to jump at some "misogynists" necks.

And it's not victim blaming just saying that if the photos were not out there they would not be "out there". I'm not saying that it was wrong of them to take the pictures and upload them for whoever they did.
But no matter how hard you try to say they are just people like you and me, it is just not true. They are not. They have a LEGION of fans of all kinds and sizes, who idolizes them in many different ways. If you have this kind of attention and don't take that into account when living your life, well, shit is abound. It's not that you're in the wrong. It's just that there will always be a thousand people just as eager to expose you as there will be people to "stand up" for you. That's just the way it works when you're a celebrity.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Sea Sponge said:
Paradox SuXcess said:
When something is private, it should stay private and not be manipulated.
And that's how things would work in an ideal world.

This has never been an ideal world.

Nothing is private, especially if you are in the public eye.

Leaked nudes are not a new thing, they have been happening for many years. Identity theft is a big money business so yes, it IS my responsibility to make sure my information is secure.
Well then there is the problem. Just because it happens, doesn't mean it should. People shouldn't have to live in fear that their private information, that no one needs to know about, will be leaked to the public. No one should have their lives altered because some pathetic lowlife wanted to make a quick buck for him/herself at the expense of causing personal harm to others. We need to get that attitude out of society where crap like this happens and people go, "Well that's how the world work. Ideal world or not, THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
It's her body and her phone, and she can do whatever the she wants with either or both. I think it's stupid as hell this is even remotely scandalous in this day and age. Shocker, women celebrities are women and women like sex. The Western world needs to get over its puritanical bullshit already, as that's the root cause of this "leaked nudes" crap in the first place.

That doesn't justify invasions of privacy.

Hap2

May 26, 2010
otakon17 said:
Hap2 said:
otakon17 said:
I am not victim blaming here.
Except you're going to do just that:

I simply feel that if she should not have taken compromising pictures of herself in the first place.
You're sending a lot of mixed messages here, at one point you're condemning those people for saying the exact same thing you said at the end of your post:

And to all those that downloaded said pictures and use "Well she shouldn't have taken them in the first place.", fuck off that's not the point of the argument to justify your invasion of a woman's privacy.
What a person does on their phone is their own business, whether it's sending messages, sending nude photos to someone else, or something else not illegal or dangerous to the public, full stop. Breaching that privacy is wrong, regardless of whether the person is a public figure or not.
To the last point, yeah it is wrong. I said as much in my first post so why are you reiterating? If it was something concerning an illegal matter or lives were on the line or some other kind of extenuating circumstance then it's different. This is not any of those things. I thought I made that clear.

As for my condemning, it's people using this statement to condone their actions. This is not a statement that condones this kind of thing and I am NOT condoning the actions of the thief or the downloaders of the photographs. But I still feel that if you don't take nude pictures of yourself, period, there is little chance of the possibly incriminating material getting out into the world.

I am not saying she does not deserve sympathy and I am not okay with this whole series of events. I am only saying that she did not think through of possibility of this happening. She's an actress, a public figure. She is more or less scrutinized and watched 24/7 by the zealous and obsessed. You have to be extra careful when you're in that kind of spotlight.

I can hear the counter argument now of "Well then no one should do anything for the possibility of being struck by lightning/mugged/have an airplane toilet fall on them." That doesn't really apply in the case where you perform actions that can potentially embarrass you.
My point was: saying you're not victim blaming and then doing it in the same post is confusingly contradictory. There are no mitigations here: taking private photos and posting them publicly is wrong, full stop. Nothing else needs to be said.

If a person went out for a walk and a car struck them down, would you say they should've known some cars might drive on the sidewalk and shouldn't have gone out? It's ridiculous.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
My god, of course I disagree, she's a grown woman and it's her body and she can do whatever the hell she wants to with it. She's a person still, you know. In fact the same with all the women who got their photos stolen from them. They can take pictures of themselves all they like. It's their choice and not one anyone should make for them.

Phasmal said:
No, I don't agree.
Once again internet's disturbing lack of empathy is disturbing.

If someone steals something from you, you wouldn't go `Oh well I guess I shouldn't own shit, do you?

BUT the people who do feel she is some way responsible for this aren't going to change their minds about it, I am pretty certain.
Colour Scientist said:
This was a serious invasion of privacy, this shouldn't be a question of what Lawrence should or shouldn't have done.
Hell should she or shouldn't she shouldn't even be a question!