Was there ever a game that made you change systems?

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
Is is wrong to say I never changed system's, but instead traded or just got the new system? Well i did that for MGS4, no regrets.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I was pretty focused on "Nintendo" for a while: I had a SNES, a Gameboy Color, a Gamcube, and a Gameboy Advance. I bought a PS2 near the end of that generation for Kingdom Hearts though.

Handheld wise Dissidia made me buy a PSP.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Actually now that I think about it I was with Nintendo till this generation and Assassins creed made me realize just how badly I needed to get away from the wii. I ended up buying a 360 but after having 120 stolen from me with forced gold and a few other annoyances and access to a ps3 I realized I preferred the ps3 over all.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
My first console was a Super Nintendo and I was fixed on getting an N64

But then Mortal Kombat Trilogy for the Playstation made me abandon my desire to get an N64 simply because you could play as the boss characters in the PS version.

I was fine with a PS2 until I was introduced to Fable then I went out two months later and bought a Crystal Xbox.

Stuck with Microsoft until, now.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Brewtus said:
I never 'changed' systems, but there were games that made other systems worth buying. Halo was that for me on the Xbox, and that's carried over until today where I still prefer Xbox over the other systems. Uncharted though was excellent, it was the only reason I bought a PS3 and I can't say I'm dissatisfied with that purchase.

But this is coming from someone who had a PS2, then a Gamecube, then an Xbox in the last generation before a 360, a Wii, and then a PS3 in this one. I know I'm never buying another Nintendo system again, but I won't rule out the other ones.
It's a damn shame there aren't more people like you. You liked it, you bought it, but you didn't fall into that delusion of "I bought this system but can't afford that other system err, "reasons", therefore my system is superior." Oooh SNAP! I just went there.

Incidentally, did you ever sell your old systems or perhaps give them away? Or did you keep them all like I did?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Not due to a single game, but my first current gen console was a 360. Got it because a friend had one and I was fairly clueless. Didn't take long until I regretted my choice and yearned for the PS3 which had way better exclusives of games I was actually intrested in. I also grew up with the PS and PS2, so the nostalgia factor was huge. Never known anyone who had an Xbox.

Eventually bought one and apart from half a playthrough of Metro 2033 and ME1/2 I haven't touched it since. Been over three years now with my darling PS3. <3

Crawled back to PC recently though. I've been a bit crazy with purchasing new games since I discovered how cheap it was in the UK compared to Sweden, so I got probably 110-120 games. Now I only buy cheap PC bundles, but my Steam game list has gone from like 10 to 66 in a really short while. <.<

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
My first console was NES. I Skipped SNES and bought N64. Then I skipped PS2, XBOX, GC generation. Who knows if I'll end up skipping the next gen consoles if I keep up this pattern.

I bought PS3 for interest in trying Heavy Rain. I appreciated it. Its not perfect.. voice acting sucks especially for the FBI guy, there is uncanny valley for PI's girlfriend, and the narrative is kind of spotty...

But I got to learn Up is Triangle, Down is X, Left is square, right is Circle..

Then there's L1, L2, L3, R1, R2, R3...

It was a perfect game to get me started with Playstation.

Then I was browsing through games to buy by going down the MetaCritic score list.

Turns out LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted2 is... PRETTY FRICKIN AWESOME.

Whenever I think about how I almost bought Xbox360 for sake of playing Fable3, I think I made the right console choice (for me that is)

Darquenaut

Feb 22, 2010
It wasn't a game so much as the spectacle of Nintendo's E3 2008 conference that broke this camel's back.

Before that, I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy. Refused anything from Sony, Sega, Jaguar, ANYTHING. This... this is what broke me. Literally, the week I saw this occur, I went out bought a 60GB 360, a copy of Bioshock, and a copy of GTAIV.

But I haven't given up completely on Nintendo. I still buy their handhelds. Recently picked up a 3DS just so I could play Virtue's Last Reward and the latest Animal Crossing game. Not as much of a story to that, I guess.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Jump consoles? Seriously? No . Wanna know why? Because i can and have owned multiple consoles simultaneously . Start from the nes , sega masters , snes and sega genesis . All bought for by my father . So , i have always had more that 1 console at any given generation ( since the nes ).

This gen . If sony doesn't fuck up royally , i should also own two consoles ( the other one being nintendo).

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
i guess you could say the xbone did just that, even though i am an xbox360/pc gamer now, i think i will become a pc exclusive gamer now :p

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I didn't "change" systems. But I did build a very powerful Desktop machine because because of the Skyrim shenanigans on the PS3.

The ps3 remains my favorite console and I do own a 360 and Wii. The Wii is the biggest dust collector now that the 360's kinect has the best party games.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
I am another bloke who was introduced to the PS1 back in ye olde days of lore. My console before that was the old NES. Then my parents brought me and my brother a ps1. I got two games. Spyro the Dragon and Abes Exodus. While my brother got Die hard trilogy and Alien trilogy. I haven't really been a nintendo player since. (I don't think owning a gamecube in the past just for the resident evil remake, Zero as well as 2,3 and 4 really counts)

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Well playing Super Smash Bros on a friends N64 was what made me get my first console. Then I swapped to a PS2 because of Star Wars Battlefront and then I swapped to an Xbox 360 because of Halo 3. Now I've swapped to PC gaming, not for any particular game but for a better experience in playing any game.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I went from Nintendo (SNES) to Sony (PS1) because of the Final Fantasy and Atlus.

N64 didn't have much Atlus love, and it lacked JRPGs in general.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Not really. I changed from being primarily a PS3 user to a 360 kinda guy because all my friends had a 360 and, like, one guy who I didn't know that well had a PS3, but no particular games drove the decision.

When my PS3 died, I did get a second one just to play one game that came out a few months after my first PS3 died, and since most of my friends have now all switched to PC, I guess it counts as changing systems. Even if it's just changing back.
That game was PlayStation All-Stars and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed by anything in my entire life.

Brewtus

May 20, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
Brewtus said:
I never 'changed' systems, but there were games that made other systems worth buying. Halo was that for me on the Xbox, and that's carried over until today where I still prefer Xbox over the other systems. Uncharted though was excellent, it was the only reason I bought a PS3 and I can't say I'm dissatisfied with that purchase.

But this is coming from someone who had a PS2, then a Gamecube, then an Xbox in the last generation before a 360, a Wii, and then a PS3 in this one. I know I'm never buying another Nintendo system again, but I won't rule out the other ones.
It's a damn shame there aren't more people like you. You liked it, you bought it, but you didn't fall into that delusion of "I bought this system but can't afford that other system err, "reasons", therefore my system is superior." Oooh SNAP! I just went there.

Incidentally, did you ever sell your old systems or perhaps give them away? Or did you keep them all like I did?
I've still got them all, I've still got my Sega Genesis even, but the only ones I ever use are the 360 and the PS3.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Even though I had other systems as I was growing up, I was a dedicated Nintendo guy.. until the PSX. A large part of that was due to Final Fantasy changing platforms. In the long run, I ended up loving a lot of PSX games but had FF7-9 been on the N64 instead I don't know if I ever would have bought one.