Was this comment out of line/insensitive?

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
Just had an odd issue to deal with at work that has been taken care of and all is good. Here is the setup - I've worked with a guy at work for the last 6 years on various projects and thought we had a great rapport and have joked around and even had drinks after work on a few occasions. Our names are very similar - Let's just say I'm Steve Jackson and he is Steve Johnson. I'm a 5'10" white guy of slender build, he's a 5'7" black guy and a little heavier.

We occasionally get emails for each other and in the past I've joked with him because he was getting married and another co-worker emailed me to congratulate me because they had our names mixed up.

So we're having our quarterly meeting and we always introduce new employees and my boss says "I think Steve Johnson on my team has someone to introduce." So I get up, remind him that I'm Steve JACKSON and introduce my new employee, who, for what it's worth, happens to be black.

As we're walking out of the meeting, I'm talking with the other Steve and joke with him that my boss must have thought I started darkening my skin and put on a little weight. We walk back to our office, talking about a few other things, everything seems normal.

So 3 weeks later the other Steve's manager schedules a meeting with me to say that he was taken aback by my comments and thought it was a weird thing to say and it had been on his mind for a couple weeks. In any event, I felt bad that it made him feel that way, immediately met with him to clear the air and let him know that it was nothing more than a joke and all is good.

Despite clearing the air, I found it odd that someone would be that sensitive to what was clearly a joke to make light of the situation, especially since we've had a good rapport for years. I like to joke around at work to keep the mood light, but this will definitely make me a little more guarded - maybe for the better.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I sincerely doubt he thought it was racist

But...for some people, their weight is a very sensitive subject. While you know (and hell, he probably knows) that you were making a joke, those kind of jokes can really bite deep. I have never been a small guy (working on it; down to 210 bitches!!!) and I have a very thick skin; fat jokes still stung just a tiny bit.

I'm glad you guys hugged it out (I imagine this literally happening). Us fatties don't want to be mad or force people to stop the jokes but we can't help but feel at least a tiny bit of pain at the truth of the joke.

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
You're here for reassurance, unfortunately I have none for you. You're asking a bunch of people who weren't there and have no idea how it all went down. They also don't know the man enough to know if it was insensitive from his perspective.

At the end of the day, your colleague was upset by your comment. So yes, your comment was insensitive from his perspective.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well don't mistake work acquaintances with friends. If people interact with me in the office I would obviously play nice and politely respond... does not mean I like any single one of them, we all understand that shit is business and you play your part to get shit done.

Friends are a completely different playing field, those are people you actually like and trust, work mates are people you are just stuck with.