Washington State Files First-Ever Lawsuit Over Failed Kickstarter

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Zontar said:
I have a feeling that if this becomes standard practice for failed kickstarters, the number of ones people make are going to drop like a rock since just going on the site you can see that most are clearly scams or impossible to deliver promises.
There's a big difference between someone taking the money and running and someone using the money to try and achieve the stated goal but failing. The latter is the risk you take when you invest in a kickstarter, and I think most people understand that and accept that that could happen when they pony up their money. The former is theft, plain and simple. And people who actually do that should be taken to task for it by whatever means are legally available to do so. Punishing criminals for being criminals is not going to stop people who have legitimate ideas and proposals from using kickstarter. But it may make the scum bags out there think twice before they try taking everyone for suckers.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
People are aware that they are crown funding a project that could fail. But also there has to be some protection for them so criminals dont make fake kickstarter projects just to get money off people. Im guessing the court case will come down to the company proving beyond reasonable doubt that they failed and not run off with the cash.

cards344

Nov 28, 2013
I am glad someone is being held accountable for there Kickstarter. I got a Kickstarter of a similar nature called Crisis Heart Brawlers, last August the creator closed all websites and forums and has disappeared and Kickstarter told me there is nothing they can do about it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2080650728/the-official-otakon-super-beat-em-up-video-game

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Failing is one thing, stealing is another. If they made an honest attempt but made a mistake in funding needed or project difficulty, that would be one thing, taking the money and running should have legal consequences.

jennyc

Apr 9, 2015
Have you been crowdscammed? If so please join the "Crowdfunding projects that never delivered" facebook group. We are trying to gather as many backers as possible from all platforms, so we can look at options at what we can do to get our money back and stop this from happening again.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1380253912299062/