Wasteland 2 Delayed Until October

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Wasteland 2 Delayed Until October

Fargo: "It could well be the largest RPG I have worked on to date"

When we last heard from inXile Entertainment, the development of Wasteland 2 was [a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119236-Wasteland-2-Development-is-Kicking-Ass]ticking along nicely[/a], kicking ass even. Now, inXile leader Brian Fargo has chimed in to [a href=http://ims.themis-media.com/module/96/ims_news/add_news]announce[/a] that while the RPG is still kicking just as much ass as before, it will have to wait a few more months due to the sheer size of said asses.

When inExile looked to Kickstarter to fund a sequel to the classic RPG Wasteland, it asked for $900,000. When all was said and done, it raked in almost three million. Instead of just pocketing it, it's using the cash to vastly expand the game. It's reached the size where Interplay vet Fargo says that "it could well be the largest RPG I have worked on to date."

A large portion of the extra work is going into dynamic scenes that react to the players action. "We have encounters that look at the gender makeup of the party, the health of the party, the NPCs who have joined you and so many of the various world states," Fargo writes. "This is the kind of subtlety I love and makes the games both deep and re-playable."

inXile's holding off on announcing a hard release date until after getting players reactions. It plans to start beta testing in October.

Source: [a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts/544063]Kickstarter[/a]

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
That's fine, I'll be one paycheck closer to building a new PC by then, and I'll probably wait and see what the reviews say overall before I decide to pick this one up. I have some fond memories of playing the original as a kid even if I had no clue what the hell the game was about. I just ran around getting into random encounters and dying a lot. Still, fond memories and I hope the new one lives up to it's name.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Six week delay ain't bad. At least he said they still have enough money, didn't mismanage it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
IanDavis said:
A large portion of the extra work is going into dynamic scenes that react to the players action. "We have encounters that look at the gender makeup of the party, the health of the party, the NPCs who have joined you and so many of the various world states," Fargo writes. "This is the kind of subtlety I love and makes the games both deep and re-playable."
Hello what people want from RPGs. It's nice to see you again.

We have this AND Shadowrun: Returns, Chaos Chronicles, Torment, Order of the Stick... RPGs are back in the limelight, baby.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Nice to see please my little donation helped make this cool game(also shadowrun almost out which i also backed, feeling most joyous).

To be honest on the matter of Doublefine I think I saw through out the history seveal games i've back(as a backer of Wasteland2/shadowrun/and others) there are 'producers' of a sort who keep saying NO! to the crazy dreamers like in this case Tim needed. A good project in any market of creation from building a house to making a film has preople who watch the purse strings. Sad that an old 'pro' like Tim didn't seem to recognise this. (I am not so sad i forgot to back Doublefine Adventure now).

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
So many awesome games coming out these next few months.

I am gonna fail so many classes again :D

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm kinda sad on the other i kinda feel like my death sentence has been postponed.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Souplex said:
Delayed is better than rushed/unfinished.
duke nukem forever begs to differ

fuck if I know how a game delayed for 14 years still manages to feel rushed

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Pink Gregory said:
Massive and ambitious game that will probably succeed? $3 Million?

Take note, AAA industry.
They didn't take note with The Witcher 2 ($8 million), so don't get your hopes up.

OT: I'm OK with this. I always considered delays to be semi-expected, anyways.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
To be honest, these Kickstarter games have always surprised me. They seem to claim to make games on shoestring budgets and in a fraction of the time. Don't get me wrong, I've backed plenty myself, but I still wonder just how they do it. :p

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
IanDavis said:
To be honest, these Kickstarter games have always surprised me. They seem to claim to make games on shoestring budgets and in a fraction of the time. Don't get me wrong, I've backed plenty myself, but I still wonder just how they do it. :p
Use basic gfx and not developing a own engine to emulate each hair of a pony tail for one.
Aren't putting half of the budget in marketing.
Save money by not including multiplayer.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
IanDavis said:
They don't pour billions of dollars worth of artist manhours into uber super special graphics that add nothing to the game (read: Tomb Raider's hair physics, etc) and they have a sane marketing department. Really all there is to it.

Edit: Damn you ninja Furball!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Shadowrun Returns on the 25th of this month, a lot of good games at the end of august and barely anything in september (if you don't count GTA5 which I don't because it's not coming to PC this year most probably).

I don't know how I feel about it, but if they are sure to delay the game just to polish it more then I guess it's alright. I'm happy and impressed that we are getting it this year to be perfectly honest.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
LordMonty said:
Nice to see please my little donation helped make this cool game(also shadowrun almost out which i also backed, feeling most joyous).

To be honest on the matter of Doublefine I think I saw through out the history seveal games i've back(as a backer of Wasteland2/shadowrun/and others) there are 'producers' of a sort who keep saying NO! to the crazy dreamers like in this case Tim needed. A good project in any market of creation from building a house to making a film has preople who watch the purse strings. Sad that an old 'pro' like Tim didn't seem to recognise this. (I am not so sad i forgot to back Doublefine Adventure now).
People forget i think that for every time Producers get it right no-one notices, only when they get it wrong is it horribly obvious, as you say some people need a sane person with their hand on the pursestrings and i agree Tim is one of those people.

On topic: I dont mind if W2 is delayed a year as long as its good and finished when its released

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
IanDavis said:
They mostly just focus on what's needed and cut out extraneous fluff. Furthermore, a TON of these games have shown you don't need cutting edge tech to look pretty, such as with Obsidian's Project Eternity.