Wasteland 2 Development is "Kicking Ass"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wasteland 2 Development is "Kicking Ass"

Brian Fargo says things are going very well with Wasteland 2, because there aren't any corporate suits around to screw it up.

Brian Fargo, as anyone who's seen the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter pitch video can tell you, isn't really a fan of modern, corporate-driven game development. Fortunately, at least for the short term, he doesn't have to be. He rang up $3 million on Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2], affording him not only the opportunity to make a Wasteland sequel but to do it on his own terms, and apparently it's going very well.

"We've been working on Wasteland 2 for about 100 days, with no distractions from any kind of corporate overlord. We have hundreds of pages of design done, we have our first music in, we have our basic UI up-and-running, and we've taken our first screenshots," Fargo told an audience during his keynote at the recent Unity conference. "The bottom line is that, without any interruption, we're kicking ass."

Three million bucks isn't much money compared to what publishers like Activision and EA throw at their flagship franchises, but Fargo said the industry has come "full circle," as the advent of crowdfunding and innovative development platforms like Unity allows small development teams who are able to appeal to niche audiences to once again flourish. But even big teams can exhibit that same level of creativity, he added, as long as they're given the freedom to do so.

"Corporations don't have artistic integrity; people do. This sort of integrity impacts on production and how a property is exploited... There are employees of these organizations that have this integrity, but they don't have the power to do anything about it," he said. "The best creative work we're seeing is from creative people who have the power, or the financing, to control their destinies... These visionaries can be within an organization. Rockstar would not achieve the level of quality it does if Sam Houser wasn't running that place with an iron fist. He's not a corporation; he's a person."

It's great to see small developers granted the freedom to pursue their visions unencumbered by the demands of a corporate whip-cracker, but in the grand scheme of things we're still in the early stages of this whole crowdfunding business and there's plenty of time for it to go bad. Fargo (and Tim Schafer, and Jordan Weisman, and Arthur Bruno, and Brian Mitsoda) have our money, but what will ultimately come from that is anybody's guess. Corporate-driven game development may not encourage high levels of creativity, but at least when you buy a new Madden or Call of Duty game, you have a pretty good idea of what you're going to get. Not that I'm complaining - I'm incredibly excited that these games are finally, actually going to be made - but if developers want crowdfunding to continue to remain a viable method of financing into the future, they're going to have to make sure that they don't disappoint with the final product.

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-23-fargo-without-corporate-interruption-were-kicking-ass]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
FelixG said:
I am very glad to hear it is going so well, I cant wait till the game is released.
Yeah, same here. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but it sounded good so I funded it. Let's hope these big-name crowd funded games do well. It could mean a brighter future for the industry as a whole :D

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Disappointment with a crowdfunded game will happen at some point, it's unavoidable. But as long as people understand it's a risky proposition to invest in games that weren't developed yet, and spend money according to what they're comfortable to "lose" to that, I don't see a big problem.

I still plan on helping crowdfund a game I find promising and with a good team, even if some of the ones I did already contribute to disappoint me.

(In the case of Double Fine Adventure I feel I already got back my money's worth in the form of developer diaries and the parts of the documentary released so far. Whatever else comes out of it is a bonus.)

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Corporations don't have artistic integrity; people do. This sort of integrity impacts on production and how a property is exploited...
Oh god this line is absolutely delicious.

littlewisp

Mar 25, 2010
I think Schafer did it the right way: packing in a documentary to go with the game. Even if Doublefine Adventure turns into shit, I am super pleased with what I've gotten out of the documentary. I'd fund another of his ideas in a heartbeat. With the others I funded, I don't have as much of that. I have the forums, yes, but the actual peek into workspaces is what I love.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Since Wasteland 2 was the first BIG runaway success on Kickstarter it kind of represents whether we can really have faith in Kickstarter or not, so I'm excited for this game and hope it turns out well.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm...I am getting my own Mac soon...and this can run on that...maybe I'll get a steam account soon, become a sorta kinda PC gamer.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Brian Fargo? The mind behind Fallout 1 and 2?! HOLY CRAP! I can't wait! I'm giving money to this kickstater! DOOOO WAAAANNNNTTTTTTTT!

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
I'll try not to be too smug about being a backer of this epic development...

Nope, sorry.

(Insert Smug Face Here)

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
Judgement101 said:
Brian Fargo? The mind behind Fallout 1 and 2?! HOLY CRAP! I can't wait! I'm giving money to this kickstater! DOOOO WAAAANNNNTTTTTTTT!
Little late there, chief. The Kickstarter ended three months ago, finishing with a whopping $3 million. Feel free to buy the game when it's out, though!

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I really want this game to succeed, I think Kickstarter could prove to be a great alternative for current developers to make the games they want to make, and it could maybe even convince some of the AAA publishers to take more creative risks, like with Spec Ops: The Line. While there is certainly enough to be upset about with the current state of video games, there's just as much, if not more positive things that deserve more attention.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Rabid Toilet said:
Judgement101 said:
Little late there, chief. The Kickstarter ended three months ago, finishing with a whopping $3 million. Feel free to buy the game when it's out, though!
Actually he can still preorder it via Paypal I believe. Kickstarter was more like the political parties conventions where they tell what they're going to do and have lots of ballons and confetti but you can still give money to say the republican party at any time of the year.

Personally speaking I'm not worried about Tim Schaffer Brian Fargo or what anyone else will deliver. I'm more worried about the inevitable asshole who's going to successfully scam people out of their money with Kickstarter, if this method of funding is going to work it has to be able to survive such a disaster. Also that people need legal protections against such a thing to assure them that it can't and won't happen so they might give all the please and expect at the very least some sort of product in return. I also think it'll be necessary to work out a special arrangement with Kickstarter for Videogame funding on their site. I believe right now they get 10% of profits along with Amazon somehow though not really sure how Amazon fits into this honestly. Point is more of the money will be needing to go to the developer or Kickstarter will need to start more actively participating with any developers that want to use their service. Maybe a kinda insurance or vetting process to root out any obvious scammers that come along.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The downfall of so much AAA game development (and really, any product development) is extreme risk aversion. Why risk money on anything but a sure thing? It's not just profit-seeking, it's surefire profit-seeking, and so many companies get into hot water not because they blew a bunch of money on a risky proposition, but that they blew a bunch of money on something they thought would be a sure thing, and it wasn't.

Wasteland was one of my favorite games of all time (and the various successors and spiritual sequels), so I'm really hoping that this turns out well. I put in for one of the CE levels, but I didn't get too crazy.

I'd also say that Wasteland 2's success isn't going to be a verdict on Kickstarter itself, but perhaps for Kickstarted game development.

Speaking of Kickstarter, I've got to plug my current favorite that's winding down, and anyone with an interest in tabletop miniatures should definitely take a look.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
it's always about balance....here, we have an experienced person at the helm, so there's probably less risk anyway

how after a certain point the budget reaches the size where it is more important than the game itself...that might be the underlying issue. it is difficult to make a game when it carries the dreams of so many people, or at least, people who throw big tantrums when they're not happy.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
mattaui said:
Speaking of Kickstarter, I've got to plug my current favorite that's winding down, and anyone with an interest in tabletop miniatures should definitely take a look.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min
Sweet, I love Reaper, they do some of the best minis by far, and by god, is that good value for money looking at the pledge levels. Yeah, +1 for that!

and while we're plugging kickstarters, this looks pretty cool: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga?ref=category

The kickstarter has finished now, but it's something to keep an eye on for when it comes out, beautiful art, interesting story and is developed by Arnie Jorgensen, Alex Thomas, and John Watson (of SWOTOR fame, and I'm sure they've been involved in some other Bioware stuff from their golden age)

OT: I love me some Kickstarter projects, it's great to see all the big name designers being able to what they what, when they want, as well as up and coming guys who come out with some original material that wouldn't be funded otherwise, and although I never played the original Wasteland, I've played Fallout 1/2 to death, so gimme some Wasteland 2, nau!

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
It's great to see small developers granted the freedom to pursue their visions unencumbered by the demands of a corporate whip-cracker, but in the grand scheme of things we're still in the early stages of this whole crowdfunding business and there's plenty of time for it to go bad. Fargo (and Tim Schafer, and Jordan Weisman, and Arthur Bruno, and Brian Mitsoda) have our money, but what will ultimately come from that is anybody's guess.
That's the risk with any investment though, and that's what crowd-sourcing is - an investment.

As for the future of crowdsourcing in games... we're not going to know if it's a sustainable business model until the 2nd or 3rd games from the current crop of crowdsourced developers are out.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I was 1 year old when the first Wasteland was released so I don't know much about it.I have played Fallout 1&2 however and I'm definitely wanna see how this game will develop.