Watch Dogs is The Fastest Selling New IP in The UK Ever

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Watch Dogs is The Fastest Selling New IP in The UK Ever

Watch Dogs has beaten out previous record holder, L.A. Noire for fastest selling new IP.

Everyone knew that Ubisoft's upcoming "hack everything" title Watch Dogs was going to be big, but maybe not quite this big. The title has skyrocketed up the UK charts to become the fastest selling new IP in history, beating out previous record holder L.A. Noire by more than half its first week sales again.

Watch Dogs also beat out Ubisoft's previous peak for launch week sales - set in 2012 by Assassin's Creed 3 - by more than 17 per cent. Overall, the game is the 17th biggest game launch in the UK of all time, and only titles from the four biggest established franchises - GTA, FIFA, Call of Duty and Battlefield - have ever sold more.

The majority of titles were sold for Sony's PlayStation 4, which also enjoyed a 94 percent increase in sales for the game's launch week.

Elsewhere in the charts, Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 turned up comfortably in second place - being the biggest Wii U game launch in the UK to date, and the second best launch for a Mario Kart title ever in the UK. It has managed to push the sales of Wii U consoles up a whopping 666 per cent this week.

Following Mario Kart were Wolfenstein: The New Order, FIFA 14 and Minecraft PS3 Edition in third, forth and fifth place respectively.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-02-watch-dogs-is-the-biggest-new-ip-launch-in-the-uk-ever]

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i keep toying with the idea of buying a WII U, Just for Mario Kart. Is it worth it? Number two seems like it is. Not surprised at this news, all my friends list are playing 'WATCH_DOGS'

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
I wonder how many others, like me, have already traded the game in?

I got COD: Ghosts and Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 for it at CEX and Lego Harry Potter has already given me a lot more enjoyment.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
A shame the game is horribly mediocre in every aspect.

If only companies released some sort of 'try before you buy'...oh yeah, a demo!

Also, "sold for Sony's PlayStaiton 4" < typo in the second last paragraph.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
AndrewC said:
Also, "sold for Sony's PlayStaiton 4" < typo in the second last paragraph.
Speaking of which...

Steven Bogos said:
Following Mario Kart were Wolfenstien: The New Order,
Wolfenstien... :p

On topic: considering Ubisoft only seems to care about money, a sequel is almost guaranteed now. I just hope it will be less mediocre, because we really don't need another yearly installment of a mediocre franchise.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Elsewhere in the charts, Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 turned up comfortably in second place - being the biggest Wii U game launch in the UK to date, and the second best launch for a Mario Kart title ever in the UK. It has managed to push the sales of Wii U consoles up a whopping 666 per cent this week.
Well it's clear than Nintendo have enlisted sinister forces to try and get the Wii U back.

Anyway, it's not all that surprising that Watch_Dogs is that popular. Game had an absolute fuckton of hype behind it. And it seems to live up to a good amount of it from what I've heard.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I only need Wolfenstein to makes its budget back and a bit more, the game certainly deserves it

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Two meaningless buzzwords in one title.

Fastest selling = "front-loaded, most expensively advertised".

New IP = "We bothered to make up a new title and character name instead of setting an equally generic/original game in the AssCreed universe".

thelastgogeta

Oct 21, 2012
lee1287 said:
i keep toying with the idea of buying a WII U, Just for Mario Kart. Is it worth it? Number two seems like it is. Not surprised at this news, all my friends list are playing 'WATCH_DOGS'
I wouldn't personally buy a Wii U just for Mario Kart (now F-Zero on the other hand...)
I do recommend that you consider some of the free games you can get if you register Mario Kart 8 in the next month or so, Europe and Japan's line up includes The Wonderful 101 (highly recommended technical action game with all of the charm you expect from developers from Platinum or Hideki Kamiya - known for also directing for Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Okami and Viewitiful Joe).

Different regions get different line ups but the free games include:
New Super Mario Bros. U - NA + Europe
Pikmin 3 - NA + Europe
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - NA + Europe
Wii Party U - NA + Europe
Nintendo Land - Europe
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Europe
Game & Wario - Europe
The Wonderful 101 - Europe + Japan*
Sonic Lost World - Europe
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games - Europe

*Japan got more games than North America, but I'm feeling too lazy to look it up right now. I'm sure it's in the Japanese Mario Kart 8 Direct

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
its easy when there are NO GAMES on either of these "next gen" consoles. Really? say you got new Xbone, whats games come to mind......TItanfall, watchdogs........killer instint ? So you've just pissed away close to 400+ and with no very much to even do.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Oh good, now Ubisoft can flaunt this and act like it means they've done a great job.

The thing only sold well because there's barely any games out for the new consoles and people want something else to play on them. I've heard pretty meh things about the game itself. And now it's proven games don't have to be good to sell really well.
Wonderful.
Ehh.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm more surprised that the previous record holder was L.A. Noire to be honest. I knew it was popular (and I quite like it), but to sell more than any new IP up until it's time? Woah.

As for Watch Dogs (or is it Watch_Dogs?), well the hype and the new generation should make this quite the predictable outcome given Titanfall's quick disappearance. The PS4 sales are not surprising. Whenever I see an advert for it (be it billboard, television adverts, supermarket pictures, posters) it's always "Get Watch Dogs on PS4!". Sure marketers, ignore the 360, PS3, Wii U and Xbox One.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Evonisia said:
I'm more surprised that the previous record holder was L.A. Noire to be honest. I knew it was popular (and I quite like it), but to sell more than any new IP up until it's time? Woah.

As for Watch Dogs (or is it Watch_Dogs?), well the hype and the new generation should make this quite the predictable outcome given Titanfall's quick disappearance. The PS4 sales are not surprising. Whenever I see an advert for it (be it billboard, television adverts, supermarket pictures, posters) it's always "Get Watch Dogs on PS4!". Sure marketers, ignore the 360, PS3, Wii U and Xbox One.
It did surprise me as well but then I remembered how much of a massive deal was made about the actors actually mo-capping their scenes and how it was super realistic etc. Another hype bubble (although I did enjoy the game when I was playing it).

Would anyone recommend Watch_dogs then? I was toying with idea but might just stick with Dark Souls 2 until it drops in value/I have more money...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
frobalt said:
I wonder how many others, like me, have already traded the game in?
I did, after only 7 hours of play. I couldn't handle the boredom anymore.

OT: I don't know whether this proves that people are more willing to try new things, or that the marketing department was staffed with the purest form of experts there is.

I know which option my mind is leaning towards......

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
JasonKaotic said:
Oh good, now Ubisoft can flaunt this and act like it means they've done a great job.

The thing only sold well because there's barely any games out for the new consoles and people want something else to play on them. I've heard pretty meh things about the game itself. And now it's proven games don't have to be good to sell really well.
Wonderful.
Ehh.
I've enjoyed the game a lot, perhaps checking it out yourself rather than parroting others? (Wait for it to go on sale). As for games to play, I've not noticed an issue, there's more than just the box games on the shelf. That said I haven't finished my games due to lack of free time (grr work)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Anyone know what kind of PC you need to run it? And I don't mean "minimum/recommended requirements", like, an actual idea for what kind of PC could handle the game :)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
anonymity88 said:
Would anyone recommend Watch_dogs then? I was toying with idea but might just stick with Dark Souls 2 until it drops in value/I have more money...
I haven't played it yet myself (I'm still waiting for that Nvidia free Watch Dogs coupon to show up) but the trend I'm seeing is the PC version is a buggy, unoptimized, DRM filled piece of crap while console versions get lots of praise.