Watch Dogs Looks Better on PC Than PS4/Xbox One, Says Director

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I think one important point that often gets missed in snippets like this the issue of hardware quality. What the speaker probably really means in that Watch Dog POTENTIALLY looks better on PC assuming the best available computer specs. For me, who had been primarily console gaming previous to now have progressively done most of my gaming on my (quite low specs) laptop, I'm used to just playing everything on minimum graphics settings so it runs as close to smoothly as possible. So in my case, whatever level of graphics would be expected on the next gen console (or even the 360 where I will be playing it since there's no way it's working smoothly on my computer) would PROBABLY be better than what I could reasonably expect to see on a computer.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zipa said:
Lightknight said:
Zipa said:
/r/pcmasterrace are going to have a field day with this thread.
Hey man, I have a great PC but this is a game I may rather play on the console if the difference isn't that blatant.

Like I said above, because they had to make a ton of console ports and only one pc version I can see why there would be a difference unless they created entirely different engines under the hood for the 7th generation and the 8th generation.

This kind of thing always happens at the start of the generation when the previous generation is still so strong.
I mean they are going to have a field day because of all the misinformation that is getting posted in the thread not because of your choice of gaming machine.

Don't expect to see a jump with the consoles as huge as we did mid generation with the 7th gen, the developers are already familar with the hardware and the architecture of the consoles as its the same as PC. There are no weird processors and such this time to figure out. This may be the first generation where the PC has started with a clear and marked advantage in performance as well.
The jump will come as new game engines are produced to utilise these utilities. Please recall that the 360 was practically already x86 (though not quite) and we still saw steady progressions and jumps.

What we're going to see is someone develop an amazing engine somewhere along the way and other people will dissect that and eventually everyone will have licensed that engine or aped it. Believe it or not, it is namely the development of game engines that make full use of hardware that advances visuals moreso than the hardware themselves. The hardware just serves as a constriction and these devices are now x86 which means most of the proprietary garbage that limited developers the most is now gone and all that's left is sheer capability which is 10x over the previous generation.

One thing to note is that the 7th generation started making serious jumps over the uncanny valley and whether or not it crossed it is now a matter of opinion rather than fact. That's significant because once that valley is crossed, you're going to start to have games that are every bit as enjoyable 20 years from now as a book is readable 50 years later.

We will see a jump in quality. It's just that the biggest differences should be in physics and AI scripting. The next consoles and pcs if both exist will also have major advances where high-end physics get closer and closer to real time rendering like we won't have this generation. At this point, piling on a few more polygons just isn't going to leap ahead because the PS3 has been very well optimized where asset rendering is concerned even if the textures left a lot of room for improvement(something the 8th generation has addressed).

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
breaking news, its been confirmed than exactly one and a half person are surprised about this new, more at 11

that aside, with those damn specs the stupid thing better looks fucking gloriuos, also one can hope they significantly improve uPlay's usability before release, but yeah i know that aint gonna happen