Watch Hefty Satellite Tumble to Earth

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
thenumberthirteen said:
Therefore, if my understanding of statistics is correct, that means one in every 3,200 people will be harmed. Which is over 2 million people worldwide! Truly NASA have no respect for human life, and only care about their vast profits.
I'm sorry to have to tell you your understanding of statistics is incorrect. It actually means there's a 1 in 3200 chance of it hitting any humans at all, not that it'll hit 1 in every 3200 humans.

Oh, also back when Skylab fell, we Aussies issued the US with a fine for littering! XD

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
No_Remainders said:
Yopaz said:
thenumberthirteen said:
Greg Tito said:
The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.
Therefore, if my understanding of statistics is correct, that means one in every 3,200 people will be harmed. Which is over 2 million people worldwide! Truly NASA have no respect for human life, and only care about their vast profits.
1 in 3200 chance means the probability is 1/3200.
Oh wow.

I saw the guy's post, and honestly didn't think anyone would take it seriously....

Just... Wow.
Agreed. Where do you start?

Beautiful End said:
See, this is why we need laser beams! We've been wasting years and years working on dumb satellites. Now one has turned against us. Oh, the irony!
We do have lasers, there's even one in your DVD drive.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Australia sues NASA.

Reasons. Dem bitches tryna kill us!

Seriously guys, take it as a formal declaration of war.

They rain satellite chunks on you, you send 'thank you' baskets full of dangerous spiders and nasty, nasty snakes!

Fight them with what you know!
Well actually some satellite debris landed in the south west of Australian a few years back now, and the local council filed a lawsuit against NASA for littering.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
Turns out I had my facts wrong.

It was the same Skylab mention in the article that scattered parts across Western Australia. Some fell in the the town of Esperance, which issued a littering fine of $400 to the United States. The fined went unpaid for 30 years, until a man raised the funds and paid it on behalf of the USA in 2009.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
I hope one lands in my school's roofing. I'm horribly ill and I don't think my parents will allow me to remain home.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
hands up who wanted to actually see aliens instead of a 'satellite'.

Though to be honest it was pretty much as good quality as most paranormal videos you'll see.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
"The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed."

That's still appallingly high.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
You know, it seems to me that when NASA was still sending up shuttles, they could maybe have retrieved a few defunct satellites while they were up there. A satellite costs probably upwards of $800,000 I don't actually know, let's just say fucktons of money to manufacture and launch, so you'd think they'd be trying to retrieve and recycle some of this ludicrously expensive technology, rather than throwing up their hands and letting it disintegrate on reentry. There's been a surprising amount of waste in space technology in general. Seems pretty stupid to me.

Off-topic: My CAPTCHA was a chemical equation. A chemical equation. Really now.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
catalyst8 said:
Beautiful End said:
See, this is why we need laser beams! We've been wasting years and years working on dumb satellites. Now one has turned against us. Oh, the irony!
We do have lasers, there's even one in your DVD drive.
Pssh, that can't even hurt the rat king! What good does that do?

...Geez.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Greg Tito said:
The risk of human injury is very slim, with NASA calculating a 1 in 3,200 chance that someone will be harmed.
But, sir! They run a business! Not a petting zoo! ...

OT: Wow. That was hypnotically beautiful.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
any estimation were approximately it will land? i would love to see it fall.

I bet this video will be called "a guy films UFO" in a year or so.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
"As of 9:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 22, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 110 mi by 115 mi (175 km by 185 km). Re-entry is possible sometime during the afternoon or early evening of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 hours."

"The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period."

That about says it all. As long as stuff won't be raining down on North America everything is fine then.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Pain killers? That doesn't sound cool...Hope you're okay. *hugs*

I'm not sure this is something I'd want to watch, honestly. I'd be a bit paranoid. >.>

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Lizardon said:
Abandon4093 said:
Australia sues NASA.

Reasons. Dem bitches tryna kill us!

Seriously guys, take it as a formal declaration of war.

They rain satellite chunks on you, you send 'thank you' baskets full of dangerous spiders and nasty, nasty snakes!

Fight them with what you know!
Well actually some satellite debris landed in the south west of Australian a few years back now, and the local council filed a lawsuit against NASA for littering.
LMFAO!!! Ooooh god i nearly died xD

Did they win? :')

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I could do me a favour and land on my neighbours house!

(enough with the violin practice at midnight!)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
lithium.jelly said:
thenumberthirteen said:
I'm sorry to have to tell you your understanding of statistics is incorrect. It actually means there's a 1 in 3200 chance of it hitting any humans at all, not that it'll hit 1 in every 3200 humans.

Oh, also back when Skylab fell, we Aussies issued the US with a fine for littering! XD
i love your government / councils whatever. that is epic. really.

Dr.Fantastic

Aug 27, 2010
Well it wont hit the U.S but With my shitty luck I'll probably find a stray piece hitting my house anyways.

So, does anyone know an insurance plan that covers getting crushed by a satellite.