Watch: Independence Day: Resurgence First Official Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Watch: Independence Day: Resurgence First Official Trailer

Jeff Goldblum always knew that they would come back...

It's time to once again refuse to go quietly into the night. Fox has just dropped the first official trailer for Independence Day: Resurgence, giving us a look at what the movie will be about, and revealing Jeff Goldblum's reprisal of the original movie's David Levinson.

The trailer starts off with the military bringing Levinson in to check out an alien craft. Evidently, the defeated aliens from the first movie have come back for another round, and this time they are packing some serious heat.

However, it looks like humanity has also stepped up it's game, and won't have to rely on Levinson's Macbook hacking skills to stop the aliens this time around. It's been twenty years since the first movie, and the military has reverse-engineered the alien technology in order to strengthen its own firepower.

Lots of explosions, giant spaceships, and dog fights fill out the rest of the trailer.

Independence Day: Resurgence hits theaters on June 24, 2016

voltair27

Apr 9, 2012
Yes! They reverse engineered the alien tech!

Can't say much about the rest of the trailer. Although you'd think 20 years would be enough time to get more common spacecraft.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
It's definitely....bigger than the last one. So humanity has to knock out a ship the size of Russia, and somehow do so in such a way that it doesn't destroy us by default by colliding with the planet. Sounds fun.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
voltair27 said:

Can't say much about the rest of the trailer. Although you'd think 20 years would be enough time to get more common spacecraft.
Yeah, the reverse-engineered alien tech was a really cool touch. I was kind of worried it'd just be "Huge air-battle, but with F-22's instead of F/A-18's." Now though, looks like we've got all sorts of crazy human-made space-fighters, and plasma guns and stuff too (and one would assume a United Earth willing to fight as one from the start). I really hope we'll get to see some of the alien ground troops this time. The only ones we ever got to see before were their pilots.

Gotta admit, I kind of like it. I have a huge soft-spot for the original Independence Day, and this looks even bigger, even goofier and like a lot of fun. I hope they can pull this off :)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sigh...was anyone actually asking for this? Did anyone look at the end of ID1 and say "you know what? This needs a sequel!"

Don't lie to us Jeff, you never "knew they were coming back." And, well, all I can say this looks "bigger." Heck, they even say as much in the trailer. But I have to ask, you have a society with 20 years of time to study advanced tech, to try and live together in a post-invasion world in a united Earth without a common enemy, to ponder the questions of the realization that mankind isn't alone in the universe and...yeah, all I'm seeing is an excuse for more action and little else.

Pass. :(

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Hawki said:
Sigh...was anyone actually asking for this? Did anyone look at the end of ID1 and say "you know what? This needs a sequel!"
Actually a lot of people have wanted this, since the premise of the original made a second wave make sense, so seeing Earth use reverse engineering to try and catch up and try to fight them on equal terms makes sense.

That being said, I hope it flops solely for the purpose of protecting Stargate from Emmerich.
undeadsuitor said:
Is Will Smith in it? Cause if not...
He's not in it, which is unfortunate since he's become box office caner so that would go a long way to insuring this movie's failure. Which probably has something to do with it.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
Happy he isn't in it. Especially happy that his kids aren't in there too.

I've got nothing against the kids, but if they wonna learn how to act, they should really do it outside of daddy's mantle of care imo.

Anyway, this does seem interesting. Popcorn material for sure, but it also looks like the kind of popcorn I like :)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
It has spaceships, large bases protected by futuristic jets, laser canons, laser guns and aliens. The only way my time me seeing this in the cinema could be improved would be by getting a blowjob to mark every half hour.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Looking forward to this. Hope it turns out alright.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good thing I didn't posted this news last night.

OT- So I take it the aliens now got antiviruses softwares now eh? Notice how their ship got a "firewall"? However do they got malware protection aswell?

Also I wonder if they are going to tone down the patriotism that is assuming they want every countries to see it?

Lastly, it's another sign that Hollywood are running out of ideas. I mean what's next? A sequel to War of the Worlds? There's already an animated film based after that story.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
looks like a generic gritty dark action/scifi with a theme that completely seems to be ripping off XCOM. Skeptical about it

Bindal

May 14, 2012
voltair27 said:

Technically, they did that in the first movie, too - just back then, they had a crashed scout, not a full mothership to rip appart.
Still, it means laser weapons. If they now also steal Plasma from the Aliens, we got ourselves an XCOM movie.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Zontar said:
undeadsuitor said:
He's not in it, which is unfortunate since he's become box office caner so that would go a long way to insuring this movie's failure. Which probably has something to do with it.
If I remember right, Will Smith isn't in it because the studio didnt want to pay him what he was demanding ($50 million).
Anyways, very excited for this.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
EdwardOrchard said:
Zontar said:
undeadsuitor said:
If I remember right, Will Smith isn't in it because the studio didnt want to pay him what he was demanding ($50 million).
He didn't just demand the money, he demanded his kids be in it. And no, not just Jaden, but the other one old enough to act as well.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Zontar said:
He didn't just demand the money, he demanded his kids be in it. And no, not just Jaden, but the other one old enough to act as well.
Luckily, we dodged that bullet...