Watch the Creepy New Resident Evil 7 Trailer

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch the Creepy New Resident Evil 7 Trailer

Capcom has released a three and a half minute long gameplay video for Resident Evil 7.

A new trailer was released for upcoming Resident Evil 7 today, along with a few more hints as to the story of the game. The trailer gives a look at Marguerite Baker, who we met in the standalone prologue demo Beginning Hour [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/17111-Resident-Evil-7-Preview#&gid=gallery_6298&pid=1], and an unknown female. The trailer is in "found footage" style, and does a great job of showing off the creepy, survival horror-y atmosphere that Capcom has promised the newest installment in the Resident Evil franchise is returning to.

From the press release:

"Set within the sinister plantation house in Dulvey, Louisiana, the Baker family, including Jack and Marguerite, were residents but no-one has seen or heard from them in a while. Where could they be? One thing is clear in the latest content to be shown from the game - there's something not quite right within the plantation. Who is the mysterious girl in the gameplay? What does Marguerite want with her?"
Resident Evil 7 releases on January 24, 2017, on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

[gallery=6414]

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Jacked Assassin said:
Looks more interesting than scary.
Resi moved away from 'scary' a long, long, long time ago. So I'd say that compared to their recent outings, this is terrifying.
But then, compared to recent Resi games, pretty much anything could be considered terrifying.

Sep 24, 2008
One of the worst trailers I've seen in recent memory. It skipped all over the place. It didn't give me the sense that this character was running to these places. It just felt like "and now we're here!".

I have no idea what I was supposed to be feeling watching this. Graphics seemed poor. Movement seemed clunky. Why was she running away from an normal looking woman with a lantern... Oh, in the dark, she looks grey.

This was something that needed more thought.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
If this would turn out so be something of a crossover between Cabin in the Woods and Texas CM I would be all over it.
But this is Capcom, ... right?

So it will be just a drab (mind the pun) 1st Person Hide & Seek. That's what I FEAR the most.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Was that a body cam or something? How was she recording that? (We see both of her hands at one point.)

And with the video fading out then back in again at the same place just made me think the computer generated footage kept running out of memory and they had to stop and start continually.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
ritchards said:
Was that a body cam or something? How was she recording that? (We see both of her hands at one point.)

And with the video fading out then back in again at the same place just made me think the computer generated footage kept running out of memory and they had to stop and start continually.
Questioning logic in a Capcom game, oh you are so funny!

Silentpony said:
Looks like someone uploaded an Outlast 2 trailer. Silly YouTube.
nearly fell off my chair, reading this. :D

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Li Mu said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Resi moved away from 'scary' a long, long, long time ago. So I'd say that compared to their recent outings, this is terrifying.
But then, compared to recent Resi games, pretty much anything could be considered terrifying.
RE was never scary, people only took it for such because they were introduced to it as children. Its heart was always B movie cheese.

This is no return to form, it's the furthest the franchise has ever been from its roots.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cybylt said:
Li Mu said:
Jacked Assassin said:
RE was never scary, people only took it for such because they were introduced to it as children. Its heart was always B movie cheese.

This is no return to form, it's the furthest the franchise has ever been from its roots.
Scary is subjective. Personally I thought Resident evil was scary, although it was mostly based on jump scares and an atmosphere that made you feel like you were about to be attacked at any point (even if you were completely safe). The original game had an excellent part where you read someone's diary which at first details the events occurring and how things are rapidly going to hell. Then the tone of the diary changes to less coherent, more aggressive, more rambling and then abruptly stops. As you finish reading the owner of the diary jumps out of the closet behind you. It is a jump scare and it won't leave you sleeping with the lights on, but they built it really well. If you find it scary or not is of course your opinion, but it is an example of creating tension through story and then giving you a release by throwing a jump scare at you. Yes, it was cheesy, but it did belong to the horror genre.

As for the last part of your comment... you are completely right. Now they're trying to use a familiar brand name and cash in on a combination of the popularity of games like Outlast and Amnesia and brand recognition. I guess it could be a good game, but I only saw one thing that made me think it was a resident Evil game and that was the text at the end where it said "Resident Evil".

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
it looks like outlast to me. this game didnt do anything for me. so as amnesia, which i found boring. i hope we cna shoot something down. the atmosphere is good but run and hide is not what i look for in a resi title.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This has been mentioned already, but I feel it needs to be mentioned again; there will be combat in this game. This is not a hide n seek title like outlast etc etc. The publisher and the demo both confirm this. Maybe a modern condemned with other inspiration, but not a helpless indie survival horror. All you need is a quick google search to find these informations. I personally think it is a positive step away from the last few games and tones they used. It's not always a bad thing to change a tired and aging formula. In shows a hint of self-awareness at least.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Yopaz said:
Scary is subjective. Personally I thought Resident evil was scary, although it was mostly based on jump scares and an atmosphere that made you feel like you were about to be attacked at any point (even if you were completely safe). The original game had an excellent part where you read someone's diary which at first details the events occurring and how things are rapidly going to hell. Then the tone of the diary changes to less coherent, more aggressive, more rambling and then abruptly stops. As you finish reading the owner of the diary jumps out of the closet behind you. It is a jump scare and it won't leave you sleeping with the lights on, but they built it really well. If you find it scary or not is of course your opinion, but it is an example of creating tension through story and then giving you a release by throwing a jump scare at you. Yes, it was cheesy, but it did belong to the horror genre.

As for the last part of your comment... you are completely right. Now they're trying to use a familiar brand name and cash in on a combination of the popularity of games like Outlast and Amnesia and brand recognition. I guess it could be a good game, but I only saw one thing that made me think it was a resident Evil game and that was the text at the end where it said "Resident Evil".
I guess saying it wasn't scary wasn't quite right but I still say that people calling this a return of some sort are totally off base. The contemporary "scary game" style is far from the same form of horror that RE1-3, and older Silent Hill games had. They are games of hide and seek and this too looks like hide and seek.

The truest form of horror a video game can achieve and one done quite well back then is through inventory management. Having the tools to dispel the horrors but in limited quantity, having had those means and then running out, is far more looming and threatening than never having any at all.

So while old RE was full of cheese you still felt threatened because you're down to three pistol shots and you think you heard a hunter around the next corner and who knows when you'll find more. That is far more threatening than any jumpscare could be.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
TheLaughingMagician said:
I mean RE 4 is often cited as the best in the series and that was a wild departure from the previous titles so yeah agreed, change can definitely be a very good thing.

As for googling I knew there's combat but that's because I'm a big fan of the series and have been following all the news coming out about it but I wouldn't hold it against people for not knowing that. Nobody follows the development of every game so for a lot of people all they know is this (imo) weak trailer.
Oh no, I didn't mean the google thing as a negative against anybody, it was just me lazily attempting to excuse myself for not adding a link in my post, hehe! ;) It is best to make sure I am not misunderstood there.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
I mean RE 4 is often cited as the best in the series and that was a wild departure from the previous titles so yeah agreed, change can definitely be a very good thing.

As for googling I knew there's combat but that's because I'm a big fan of the series and have been following all the news coming out about it but I wouldn't hold it against people for not knowing that. Nobody follows the development of every game so for a lot of people all they know is this (imo) weak trailer.
Oh no, I didn't mean the google thing as a negative against anybody, it was just me lazily attempting to excuse myself for not adding a link in my post, hehe! ;) It is best to make sure I am not misunderstood there.
Oh no, I ruined your attempt at laziness by making you feel you had to explain yourself, now I feel like a right bastard.
It's like being cattle-prodded during a late Sunday morning sleep-in. But people do apparently grow to appreciate these tough loves, I hear, when the results bear tasty future fruits.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Cybylt said:
Yopaz said:

I guess saying it wasn't scary wasn't quite right but I still say that people calling this a return of some sort are totally off base. The contemporary "scary game" style is far from the same form of horror that RE1-3, and older Silent Hill games had. They are games of hide and seek and this too looks like hide and seek.

The truest form of horror a video game can achieve and one done quite well back then is through inventory management. Having the tools to dispel the horrors but in limited quantity, having had those means and then running out, is far more looming and threatening than never having any at all.

So while old RE was full of cheese you still felt threatened because you're down to three pistol shots and you think you heard a hunter around the next corner and who knows when you'll find more. That is far more threatening than any jumpscare could be.
Yeah, I agree with you on that. It's impossible to say if this is will be good or bad right now, but it's certainly not a return to its roots as far as the trailers I have seen so far are concerned.