Watch: Trailer for Batman: The Killing Joke

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: Trailer for Batman: The Killing Joke

"All it takes is one bad day."

The animated film adaptation of the 1988 graphic novel The Killing Joke - which was recently confirmed to have an R rating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167175-Batman-The-Killing-Joke-Gets-an-R-Rating] - now has a trailer.

More will be added to the story - including a 15 minute prologue - but Executive Producer Bruce Timm stated that the adaptation would stay "very faithful" to the source material. Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series, said: "The Killing Joke is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience - the comics-loving community - with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well."

From the looks of the trailer, the team is doing just that.

Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill star in the film, which is set to premiere at San Diego Comic-Con. Until then we have a trailer, and of course, screenshots below.

[gallery=6189]

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Oooh, nice! I've already read the comic so this won't be that "shocking" to me, but it's one thing to read the Joker's dialogue in your internal voice and quite another to hear Mark Hamill delivering it.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The animation is a little lacking, seems to run at a pretty low framerate, but I doubt that will stop this movie from being anything but excellent. Anything with Bruce Timm's hands on it can only turn out good.

P.S. Thanks

Zelderahn

Feb 19, 2014
It's probably going to be a good movie, it has a lot of great key-frames of story to work from.. but this animation seems so incredibly low budget compared to what I was expecting. I guess the 'animation ghetto' of the West is still around in full force sometimes.. such a shame.

Too plastic clean in a lot of those frames, the comic was full of dramatic shadows and contrasts which in the larger segments here seem watered out. Hopefully it's a work in progress and not the final product, and they have time to touch up.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I kinda hyped for it.

There are some scenes that I am awaiting to see in animated form!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
To anyone complaining about how it looks, I think they're trying to replicate the art style of Brian Bolland from the original GN.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Darth_Payn said:
To anyone complaining about how it looks, I think they're trying to replicate the art style of Brian Bolland from the original GN.
Exactly and I like Bryan's art style I like how "realistic" looking the human models look like at times:

http://i.imgur.com/DVNm4Mt.jpg[/spoler]

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Samtemdo8 said:
Darth_Payn said:
Exactly and I like Bryan's art style I like how "realistic" looking the human models look like at times:

http://i.imgur.com/DVNm4Mt.jpg

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
I don't think people are complaining about the art style so much as the animation. These things are related, but not the same. It looks amazing in stills, but a low framerate and sloppy keyframing cause it to look stilted and awkward in motion.

P.S. Thanks