Watch_Dull

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
I guess Ubisoft are just boasting their faith in it. If it is terrible then I doubt the movie would actually come to fruition anyway.

I won't be getting it any time soon however as I'm not getting any next gen consoles or a gaming PC in the near future. I know there's gonna be a current gen version but the trailer just doesn't have the same 'pizzazz' as the next gen stuff.

Elemental

Apr 4, 2009
I'm intentionally not seeing trailers because I want to discover things by myself, I don't like it when developers brag about every single feature and mechanic in the game it ruins the whole experience imo

But yeah I'm pretty excited from what I saw

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I think watch_dogs looks pretty cool. It looks like one of those "kinda like GTA but not GTA" games. I think the whole hacking thing is cool and gives the player a lot of control over the city.

A lot of people think that "the last of us" is great (myself included) but all that really is is a bunch of cutscenes, some QTEs and a lot of walking around where nothing happens. You could say watch_dogs is just about some third person shooting and quicktime events and therefore its going to be "dull" if that is the case then you are also calling the last of us dull.

Dont get me wrong until we play watch_dogs for a few days we wont know what its like. It could fail and it could not

The whole we announced a sequel and movie is either a terrible buisness idea or a really good one. They are (like the OP said) hoping some gullible people will think "theres already going to be a sequel and a movie, this must be really good" but more than that i think they are trying to create a "franchise" on the next generation on release

N.b If the game is terrible they will just release the movie anyway and it will have no relation to the game whatsoever except the title. If the games good theyll probably do this too

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I admit, I haven't been keeping up with all the Watch Dogs trailers and promotions, but I do find that I am a lot less interested in the game than I was when it was first shown off. That doesn't mean I think it will be bad mind you, but I can see it not living up to the super high expectations Ubisoft is drumming up.

I find it a little dumb that they are already in talks to start making a movie too, at least wait till it comes out Ubisoft, there is a chance it could still be a terrible game.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Decroux said:
lacktheknack said:
Decroux said:
So noone has any issues with essentially being told what "Big Title" they have to like next gen? Nothing wrong with this picture at all.
And yet you said this...

Decroux said:
All for a game that boils down to walking around triggering cutscenes.
...which, quite frankly, I'm much more sick of.

I'm already aware that my ideas of "good game" do not match up with AAA standards, and I don't see many game ads. So I'm utterly unaffected by your horror-scenario. However, this forum is littered with people taking their own partially-formed assumptions as some sort of gospel to base arguments off of, which is much more in-my-face and irritating.
The point I'm making is that we haven't seen enough of the game to even make any informed opinions about it, yet there's so much already planned for it's future. Ubisoft expects us to eat this up - hence the already planned movie/sequels. They already know that they'll sell enough to fund the aforementioned Watch_Dogs related content. How are we apparently this predictable, and if not, how are we letting them get away with this?
Who cares?

If the game is good, then it'll do good, and they're justified. If it's not, the after-party will die naturally. Maybe... just MAYBE... they have a lot of faith in the game being really good.

Also, we haven't seen enough of the game to even make any informed opinions about it, yet you've already excused it as a game that boils down to "walk around triggering cutscenes". That's not hypocritical at all.
Have to agree with this.

You can't say you don't know what the game is like and hold it against Ubisoft for what they are doing, then conveniently ignore that and label the game when you don't know what it is like.

And no, I'm not offended and you shouldn't be either.

They want something they are making to succeed and become popular. So what?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Why would you be offended by that...
I just find it odd, then again boobiesoft did say they aren't interested in anything other then guaranteed franchises from here on in so I guess they will just bulldoze that into existence.

Generally that does not bode well for the actual products because the focus falls from making one great thing to forcing several out the door.
Glad I'm not the only one who remembered Ubisoft's little spiel about only making cash cows from now on. (or trying to)
Were I in the market for Ubisoft's games, at this stage I'd be ambivalent about Watch Dogs instead of hyped.

Either they put their best foot forward and follow it up with mediocre tie-ins and sequels, or they just stumble right out of the gate and make a mediocre game with way too many direct tie-ins.

I dunno. Making a ton of planned content like a movie and tie-ins before the first entry is even out on the market seems like tempting fate to me.