Watching Figthing Games: Who's Your Favorite Character to Watch in Action?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Inspired by a jaw-dropping performance by Greek Angel as Bang Shishigami in Blazblue, when you're watching e-sports, or casual online fights, who is the person you hope people will pick when they're on the character select screen?

As stated earlier, my pick is Bang. When I first tried actually using him, I had no idea what practical uses he had for the bumpers he could set on the screen. Seeing the amazing feats of agility pros pulled off with those things was a sight to behold and made him look unlike any other fighter in the game. Also, his ability to go from defensive to offensive with a single well-timed drive attack was such a rush to see in action. One moment, he's blocking a flurry of attack, the next moment, he's teleported behind his foe and is now dishing out the pain.

Not to mention, the excitement of watching him land drive attacks in hopes of using his fu-rin ka zan.

So, that's my entry. Who are your favorite fighters to watch in action?

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Dont mind tbh but I suppose I like to see lesser played characters rather than the supposed top tier all the time.

Other than that I like watching characters I like to play as personally so in BB its Makoto and Nine for instance. I really cannot name a character that I like to watch above all others but I suppose Shadow Chie in Persona 4 Ultimax would rank quite high (love that explosive craziness) then again Ultimax is one of my favourite fighters to watch ever at high level (also great fun to play as well even if like usual I did not get chance to play much of it).

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Haha, I was coming to say Bang but I see people mentioning Greek of all people here.

You'd be glad to know he's one of my early disciples who has grown to a full fledged rival, ah, such a success story that one. I still remember one time years ago where he was like "I like watching your Bang so much", it must have been back in CS2 or something like that XD.

Oh and Bang hasn't had to land drives for Fuurinkazan for years now, it's his OD now. The seals unlock his shippuugeki super.

Since you seem to like Bang, here's a secret combo I have devised that very few people should know:

The combo record time doesn't last long enough, you can also add a second Daifunka in the end there by using the bumper to dash behind them after the first one ends.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Dreiko said:
Haha, I was coming to say Bang but I see people mentioning Greek of all people here.

You'd be glad to know he's one of my early disciples who has grown to a full fledged rival, ah, such a success story that one. I still remember one time years ago where he was like "I like watching your Bang so much", it must have been back in CS2 or something like that XD.

Oh and Bang hasn't had to land drives for Fuurinkazan for years now, it's his OD now. The seals unlock his shippuugeki super.

Since you seem to like Bang, here's a secret combo I have devised that very few people should know:

The combo record time doesn't last long enough, you can also add a second Daifunka in the end there by using the bumper to dash behind them after the first one ends.
Badass. I love that guy. Both his character and how he plays. Anyway, it's neat to hear you have disciples. Thanks for sharing.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Simple. I like seeing my preferred taste of characters and the lesser used characters. The latter can also apply to characters I do not like. For example once watching some Japanese tournaments for Capcom VS SNK 2 that I still often do I got super excited seeing a Kyo player when I normally dislike the character. Seeing lesser used characters like Kyo and Zangief are one thing but seeing the ones I liked that also are underused like Yamazaki really get me excited. Of course I like the characters I like being top tier or whatever so I enjoy seeing that to. Part of that also goes with if I like the player such as watching Armada and PPMD play in Melee regardless of Armada is playing the typical Fox or Peach.

K-sha

Dec 2, 2016
no favorites. i tend to like watching characters i use, so i can learn something from watching. and see potential of really good players.

jedisensei

Nov 23, 2009
Snake Eyez playing Zangief in Street Fighter IV. His performance in the 2014 SoCal regional is just one for the ages. (3 parts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhIT-TqxzI, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hboS_Feiow4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUyhM1Ci0Ko) I also liked PieSmug's Dudley and PR Balrog's...uh, Balrog.. in SFIV.

Watching those guys fight got me excited about fighting games again.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Obviously the only correct answer is Yuuki Terumi from BlazBlue, everything else is just wrong. His combos are the most BM thing in any fighting game ever. I enjoy his CP:EX combos more since for some reason they shortened the animations of all of his stomps and Drive specials which is a pretty heavy nerf to me plus CF made him a bit more technical and still a bit janky at times (at least j2D doesn't occasionally whiff for no reason in the OD 6D air cancel combo extender in CF anymore.) 6D in CP:EX is one of my favourite animations in any fighting game.

Though I admit I do enjoy watching some good Hazama swag combos. Like if I fight a good Hazama online i'm not even mad if he styles on me cuz he's super cool.

Izanami's combos are kinda relaxing too y'know? They just feel really chill even if her combos are mid to high input difficulty, I think it's the voice loops. I'm still super bad at getting in with her because she has a million moves and I get scared by all the options. That semi permanent hyper armour powerup looks insane too, she cannot be stunned by anything that isn't a throw.

When I figured out that it makes her fullscreen ZA WARUDO invincible too I almost cried. DIO's Izanami's World is a perhaps viable move without landing the command grab version because of that powerup alone. A PC version needs mods so some hero can replace the timestop sound effect with ZA WARUDO's sound effect and Izanami's deactivation quote with DIO's deactivation quote.

Oh speaking of DIO, Eyes of Heaven is a fucking masterpiece of a game if you're into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. They took everything from the anime and dropped it into a game without changing a damn thing, game balance ignored entirely. Yoshikage Kira Mark II has BITEZ ZA DUSTO completely unaltered and it's completely glorious. You down one of the enemies, activate Bites the Dust to regen most of your HP, reset the game back to the start and then the guy you used it on takes a massive amount of damage, sometimes enough to kill them instantly.

Man, that move was broken as shit in Part 4. Araki continues to impress with how many broken Stands he can pull off in Jojo.

K-sha

Dec 2, 2016
as far as players go kyamei's pretty amazing to watch in examu games. I do not think i can recall any tournaments where he didnt absolutely dominate, or ended up dominating after losing one round and switching characters
Yabi's pretty awesome and maybe just as talented, for picking random.

matsu's rachel was pretty awesome back when she was low tier, and i decided to play rachel as well.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Seeing low tier characters being played is always fun. Especially when it is played by someone who mains that character because they know all of the ins and outs. And it is something different so it keeps things interesting.

In Super Turbo you have Kusomundo who mains E Honda, but he is so good that he can put up a good fight against his awful matchups.

On another note, watching Kuroda play any character in Third Strike is fun.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
Glongpre said:
Seeing low tier characters being played is always fun. Especially when it is played by someone who mains that character because they know all of the ins and outs. And it is something different so it keeps things interesting.

In Super Turbo you have Kusomundo who mains E Honda, but he is so good that he can put up a good fight against his awful matchups.

On another note, watching Kuroda play any character in Third Strike is fun.
Kuroda is a treat to watch. So is YSB.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
PurplePonyArcade said:
Kuroda is a treat to watch. So is YSB.
I think 3S might be the most enjoyable fighting game to watch. Parries just add a crazy skill element, that really lets you see the difference in peoples skill levels.
All the people who main characters in this game are fun to watch. Like RX, TM, Kokujin, Thanatos, etc. YSB and Hayao have crazy good hugos.